Girls Aloud: Sarah Nicole Harding (1981-2021) | Page 3720 | The Popjustice Forum

Girls Aloud: Sarah Nicole Harding (1981-2021)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by marknyc, Nov 16, 2007.

1. I've visited this thread on and off writing something and deleting because I didn't know what to say that felt valid or had not been said already, mostly in a state of shock. But I can't think of anything other than to say that Girls Aloud mean a lot to me as a pop fan, and were a huge gateway into properly understanding what can make pop music so genius. Even before that I voted for Sarah to be in the band... it's hard to comprehended that 20 years later, this is where we are. My heart goes out to her loved ones and to all the fellow fans of Sarah who have a special place for her in their hearts.

lushLuck, Robert, Sam and 15 others like this.
  2. There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said in far better ways, but I wanted to post about last night, when I listened to Girls Aloud for the first time since the news. I thought I'd be in bits but instead I ended up essentially performing the Ten tour in my bedroom and did so much terrible dancing that I'd reached my step count by 3AM. I like to think Sarah would consider that a fitting tribute!
    (I will be donating in her honour when I'm less poor too, but for now that'll do.)

lushLuck, Robert, Sam and 22 others like this.
  3. Well thank you for your service, duly appreciated.

4. I think it’s going to take a lot of time for the girls to grieve, process what has happened and come up with ways to honour Sarah in the best way possible.

Cheryl’s performing at Birmingham Pride and Nadine at Bongo’s Bingo (25th Sept) but I’m not sure if they’ll go ahead. Understandable whatever happens.

5. You reminded my that i have a collection on my hard drive from Girls Aloud Media.... Stay Another Day started playing and i was confused at first, who is even singing the chorus as it sounds nothing like any of them at the beginning before Cheryl comes in!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  6. I’ve felt very nostalgic the past couple of days listening to GA’s discography front to back.

Am I the only one who ever felt like Girls Aloud was a fever dream I cooked up? I grew up in a small farming town in Maine and we had no kind of music like that in the US. I somehow stumbled upon GA through iTunes right when ‘Sexy! No,No No…’ dropped. I was so intrigued by that vocodered Cheryl intro (which I’d come to know as a signature) and the instrumentation underneath reminded me of ‘Still Dre’ by Dr. Dre. (!!!)

After googling the band a couple of times I came across Popjustice, and I became a daily lurker of the GA thread.

I was a really sad and troubled queer kid and thought I’d never make it out my home town. Constantly made fun of and music was my one safe place. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when I turned 16. I had a major surgery to remove a tumor, and I could not wait to get home and listen to the radio 1 premiere of ‘The Promise.’ I listened to that radio rip over and over on my iPod nano (!!!) alone in my room and dreamed of getting out of Maine and going to places like London, where I might hear a Girls Aloud or Sugababes track on the radio.

I remember taking my first trip to New York City at 17 and thinking I could find some GA records in a shop. I called a big music store and nervously asked “do you carry any Girls Aloud albums” and felt so self conscious in my “gay voice.” The guy on the phone laughed at me and said no, then hung up.

Girls Aloud quite literally soundtracked the formative years of my life where I struggled with my identity and loving myself. Apart from having a reality tv show origin, I do think Girls Aloud wasn’t taken seriously or given the credit they clearly deserve was because they were a group of young women who were talented singers and performers and inspired Xenomania to make some of the most original pop music of all time. Maybe some people found that intimidating.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence so many of us connected with the music and the women, as we’re so often bonded to one another via misogyny.

I now live in New York City, work in music licensing and dj at some of the biggest gay clubs in the city on weekends. At the end of this year, I’m moving to Stockholm to pursue my goals of becoming a songwriter. This sad and untimely passing has been a reminder of how far I’ve come and what Girls Aloud means to me.

I’ll be playing ‘Something New’ and ‘Something Kinda Ooooh’ in honor of our Angel Sarah at Q Club NYC this Friday and Saturday, and will be playing a lot of GA in my sets going forward to educate our American LGBTQS.

Rest In Peace beautiful Sarah Harding, #girlsaloudforever

7. I did the same thing with the Something New leak! Well, it was a regular iPod, but basically the same.
    I'm so happy for you. Sarah would be proud of you.

lushLuck, Sam, Crisp X and 11 others like this.
  8. Ugh I miss having Girls Aloud Media! Wish I kept a lot of the stuff that was on there

lushLuck, RUNAWAY, Womanizer and 6 others like this.
  9. ADM

ADM

I want nothing more than to see them together again, on stage, but it had to be a five piece, not one of them were replaceable, all five are so important to so many different songs. I just don’t think it could happen. I hope they get together for TWENTY and release some sort of legacy collection, in memory of Sarah.

This is just like a bad dream, band members leaving feels so trivial when we have this tragedy. So so sad.

10. There’s nothing I loved more than being on Popjustice when Something New leaked. I think it was on the Monday or Tuesday night before the press conference on the Friday.

I remember playing the teaser of them walking in slow motion over and over, so when it leaked and hearing Nadine all guns blazing from the very first second, I felt such a surge of adrenaline go through me.

Great memories.

lushLuck, Sam, Alenko and 12 others like this.
  11. RJF

RJF

I... cannot imagine a world where Sarah wouldn't have wanted them to perform together ever again after she was gone. I get that this is still raw but... come on.

12. I’m sure if Sarah knew she was terminal when they all went to Soho Farmhouse (which I think by then she did) then she will have mentioned the future for the girls even if they didn’t want to hear it.

I can maybe imagine a documentary for 20 perhaps focusing mainly on Sarah where we may get to hear a bit more about their time together on that weekend and hopefully hear some lovely (but I’m sure) touching stories.

Sam, Jordtayylor, Womanizer and 3 others like this.
  13. Reading this thread the last few days has been such a comfort. Nothing I can say that hasn’t already been said. What a loss, what a dull, heavy weight this has put on our hearts.
    Listening to their catalog the past few days has reminded me of the absolute heights they soared to, but has also filled me with such upset and frustration that something about listening to these songs again feels so, final. I’ll never be able to listen to a Girls Aloud song again without feeling that all too unwelcoming tug on my heart.

With that being said, going thru their discog, and I came across Forever & a Night, what a little gem that is.

lushLuck, LMX, Womanizer and 6 others like this.
  14. In some sense I feel neither will go ahead as both artists know that all eyes will be on them to pay tribute, and that isn’t a fair way for them to grieve or acknowledge Sarah’s loss so early on.

Womanizer, kiokiokio, Elysium and 2 others like this.
  15. Just stumbled on this and had to post.

[​IMG]

lushLuck, Marquis, Robert and 52 others like this.
  16. Love this! I actually always wonder if artists sometimes look at this forum. Probably not, but it's lovely to think of them all checking it out after a new single/album release though and reading all of our thoughts.

Sam, Primrose, Womanizer and 7 others like this.
  17. One of my favorite pictures of the two of them!

18. Just been watching some of their later performances - "Something New" on Strictly, "The Promise" on the Royal Variety show, "Love Machine" on Graham Norton. They were really at the top of their game by the end of the group, performance wise and vocally. All three are so awesome!

lushLuck, evilsin, Sam and 21 others like this.
  19. When I saw she had passed on Sunday, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Like some of you I was kind of in that denial phase and remained hopeful that she would pull through. Lately, life just seems unreal and cruel for many reasons. I try to stay positive and send positive vibes whenever I can. I feel like I did so daily for Sarah. She never left my mind.

Living in rural Kentucky as a gay teen, I never had many friends but I had music. Sarah and the Girls made living life so much more enjoyable and worth living. She was a beautiful person inside and out and always one of my favorites. It's been trying navigating these emotions as her and the band had such an impact on my life. However, I'm going to try my best. She may now be gone but I will never forget her and that smile.

lushLuck, evilsin, Sam and 29 others like this.
  20. Ah Beautiful Sarah. The world is indeed a sadder place for you leaving us, but you leave behind amazing
    memories of a truly fabulous and adorable woman.
    I am so grateful she lived her life to the full.
    Girls Aloud have always been special to me, but even more so now x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.