Girls Aloud - What Will the Neighbours Say? + Album Re-issues

Girls Aloud's August streams

Screen-Shot-2020-08-31-at-19-08-31.png

Screen-Shot-2020-08-31-at-19-08-37.png

This paints an interesting picture of what their signature songs with the public are. I did not expect Jump to be that high, although I suppose it makes sense.

Is there a reason why Can’t Speak French is doing quite well on streaming? It’s a good track but for me it’s always been one of those “forgotten singles”. I would’ve thought singles like Biology, I’ll Stand By You & Sexy would be streamed more often than that?

That is the only surprise for me, the rest of the list looks like what I would expect.

I think Love Machine becoming a GP favorite was due to a few factors. They were coming off the heals of Jump and the launch of their second era, being something completely different to the prior singles, cheesy but memorable choreo and just selling the hell out of it live which each performance hammed it up more than the last. I especially love YOU KNOW I SAID YOUR CALLS LATE what a BIG misTAKE! I just which they kept the full dance breakdown from OOC for the TEN tour.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why Can’t Speak French is doing quite well on streaming? It’s a good track but for me it’s always been one of those “forgotten singles”. I would’ve thought singles like Biology, I’ll Stand By You & Sexy would be streamed more often than that?

That is the only surprise for me, the rest of the list looks like what I would expect.

Can’t Speak French was a big hit on radio (coming affer Call The Shots helped I guess), that’s why the public remembers it more than songs like Biology or Sexy.

Can’t Speak French peaked at 5 on radio airplay, Biology at 34, Sexy at 30.

Last edited:
Love Machine always went off in a club back in the day. I think it’s the really recognisable first few seconds.

On the topic of Can’t Speak French, it seems to be played in shops and shopping centres constantly for some reason lol.

Interesting that Tangled Up is their least streamed album, but we know it’s because the most streamed singles are on other albums I guess.

I'm not surprised by Can't Speak French's popularity. It was a single at the height of Cheryl's first infidelity scandal. Pretty much every news article mentioned the song because of the infamous story of her shooting the video the day she found out. I remember it being quite "big" and seething because their earlier singles didn't have the same attention ddd. I like it now though!

I’ve always thought of Love Machine as the blueprint for the sound that ended up defining them. Many of their later songs have the same DNA, but they bettered it on so many occasions that Love Machine doesn’t really feel like a stand-out anymore (despite still being great).

Poor Sarah. Everything I wanted to say has already been said much more eloquently, but I’m sending her positive vibes and wish for a full recovery. Absolutely heartbreaking news.

I say this all the time here, the "Cheryl said they couldn't perform Love Machine when they're in their 30's", yet this is one of the best performances/versions of it they ever done.

To be honest, this sentence is often used out of context. When you're 20, you always have a vision of what you will be at 30, but it is most of the time wrong.
When you're young and naive, you imagine that 30 is the age of reason and that your life will be completely different, but in the end, you realise it isn't that really.