Girls Aloud - What Will the Neighbours Say? + Album Re-issues

I know for certain that Wicked Game was definitely officially announced as a single. I can definitely remember seeing the news on their website (at the time of the green What Will The Neighbours Say? logo)

I’m just doubting myself over whether or not it was announced before Long Hot Summer or after Long Hot Summer. I always thought it was after Long Hot Summer but now I’m not so sure (I think the green logo website remained until Biology was announced).

Either way, I’m almost certain that Wicked Game was intended for the third album, not for What Will The Neighbours Say?

It was 100% announced on their website when it still had the WWTNS? era branding in green for a May 30th release date. It was promptly removed two weeks later when they scraped it. I have a screenshot of this on some old computer, but this was is what I can find from old Top of The Pops archives:

"OFFICIALLY CANCELLED
Quick update to confirm our suspicions that 'Wicked Game' has being cancelled.
The single will NOT be released on 30th May and there are no plans (at present) to release it at a later date.
Polydor told journalists the decision was made due to lack of time in the girls' busy schedule.
Top of The Pops' website has confirmed the news."

This post claims “May 30th” was the release date so it would’ve been before “Long Hot Summer”, which would’ve made it the first single!?!

Based on my research, it was announced on their website on April 5 2005 and by April 16 it was already shelved:
"OFFICIALLY CANCELLED
Quick update to confirm our suspicions that 'Wicked Game' has being cancelled.
The single will NOT be released on 30th May and there are no plans (at present) to release it at a later date.
Polydor told journalists the decision was made due to lack of time in the girls' busy schedule.
Top of The Pops' website has confirmed the news."

Wicked Games was from the WWTNS session.

What doesn’t add up is that Brian or Miranda (I can’t remember which one) said it took them 2 years to work out how to come out of the original hook/intro of Biology. They also said the lyric ‘wicked games’ was a play on the Wicked Games cover being scrapped.

Which means Biology would have started during 2003 and the SOTU album era. It can’t of been ‘lyric’d’ until after April 2005 if it was a ref to the Wicked Game single being strapped. So the original Biology probably had different lyrics.

Wicked Games was from the WWTNS session.

What doesn’t add up is that Brian or Miranda (I can’t remember which one) said it took them 2 years to work out how to come out of the original hook/intro of Biology. They also said the lyric ‘wicked games’ was a play on the Wicked Games cover being scrapped.

Which means Biology would have started during 2003 and the SOTU album era. It can’t of been ‘lyric’d’ until after April 2005 if it was a ref to the Wicked Game single being strapped. So the original Biology probably had different lyrics.
I mean they probably switched a lyric up that went "without _____ ______" to "without wicked game" which takes about 5 seconds. If anything it might have even been ad-libbed by one of the girls in the recording booth and they kept it in.

Last edited:
Haha

She basically said she loved the new production choices on it. I see you Nicola!!!

Really not surprised! There is a reason the song never saw the light of the day before, even on the two Greatest Hits and rarities CDs. It was probably just not good enough and the only way to release it 20 years later is to re-work it to make it properly amazing. I’m not surprised AND very happy, as it means it could be our song of the year!