Girls Aloud - What Will the Neighbours Say? + Album Re-issues

I sometimes (pretend that I) can hear some Cherylness in the second verse of Memory of You but as soon as I put my finger on it, it is gone.

Singapore is great. My two gripes with it are it ends too soon and they could have edited out Sarah’s massive intake of breath before “please means more”.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
I think that “Singapore” just drafts up so many things that are part of their musical identity. The way the lyrics may not always be straightforward or clear, but they ultimately paint a picture that conveys a sense of longing and emotion. Everyone having their vocal placing and the production buffing it all up. It’s very much one of my favorite songs ever.

Out of Control is their worst album and the debut, despite being a bit clunky and messy, is still far superior.

Singapore is great, a lost single, standout in their discography, etc etc.

Anyone who doesn't agree with these points should maybe go and have a re-listen

tumblr_lu61xo61Ei1qkcb03.gif

Singapore is great. My two gripes with it are it ends too soon and they could have edited out Sarah’s massive intake of breath before “please means more”.
I don't mind her inhale, but I DO mind Nadine's audible lisp/wet mouth noises (??) on "You kiss my lips". Eesh!

I don't mind her inhale, but I DO mind Nadine's audible lisp/wet mouth noises (??) on "You kiss my lips". Eesh!
I just want to thank you both for pointing out these minor details that I've never noticed before!

IMG_0958.gif

There’s something about Singapore which really captures so much of what makes Girls Aloud so magical.

The unusual and unexpected lyrical content, the melancholic tone, the synths. That song could belong to no other group but Girls Aloud.

Obviously it had no chance of being a single when it wasn’t even on a proper album but I don’t like to imagine an alternate reality where it got the single treatment and had its own video (not just the jelly baby one!)

Singapore feels like the younger sister to Call the Shots and the Loving Kind, for sure.

Ok ladies let's all calm down.

I'm trying not to react (again) to this Singapore glorification but come on. The song is mediocre at best, it sounds like a faceless bubblegum pop and in no way comes anywhere close to Call the Shots (which is not my favorite, I may add) and is galaxies away from The Loving Kind.

Puh-lease dddd.

Speaking of The Loving Kind, I hope someone high up makes the executive decision in ensuring that it gets the respect it deserves on this forthcoming tour.

Nicola’s hate it for, and probably other members dislike, years ago hopefully has passed and they now realise what a beautiful (and staple song in their catalogue) it is.

Nicola has definitely said in recent years she's fond of the song now. But, it's quite Sarah heavy isn't it? I'm not just talking about Sarah's verses, she's all over the choruses doing ad-libs.

I think The Loving KInd could work perfectly in a medley with some other album tracks and less popular singles. Maybe the chorus and then Nicola and Kimberley's parts?

Nicola has definitely said in recent years she's fond of the song now. But, it's quite Sarah heavy isn't it? I'm not just talking about Sarah's verses, she's all over the choruses doing ad-libs.

I think The Loving KInd could work perfectly in a medley with some other album tracks and less popular singles. Maybe the chorus and then Nicola and Kimberley's parts?

I couldn’t agree more. Put the chorus into a medley or megamix for me, I’m not fussed about the whole song. There’s more album tracks i’d rather see them perform live.

Ok ladies let's all calm down.

I'm trying not to react (again) to this Singapore glorification but come on. The song is mediocre at best, it sounds like a faceless bubblegum pop and in no way comes anywhere close to Call the Shots (which is not my favorite, I may add) and is galaxies away from The Loving Kind.

Puh-lease dddd.
You're... not a fan of Call The Shots but you stan The Loving Kind? It's basically a watered down version of it ddd