Girls Aloud - What Will the Neighbours Say? + Album Re-issues

As a Nicola stan I really appreciate I Say A Prayer For You. I was really excited to hear a whole song with just her on it.
They needed to utilise her more in the early days.

But Neighbours is a SOLID pop album.

Graffiti My Soul remains my all time Girls Aloud fav and I still say a big yaaaas that Wake Me Up became a single.

I still would love to think what a music video Hear Me Out would have had.

On the subject of Out of Control, I’ve always felt that some of the songs sound unfinished or incomplete, especially compared to Tangled Up which felt very polished. Songs like Turn To Stone and Love Is Pain (which, incidentally, is one of my favourite songs on the album) sound like Xenomania handed them in to the record label before they were properly complete. I wonder if the missing component for those songs is Nadine. She has no solo moments on either of those songs.

Rolling Back The Rivers In Time, Love Is The Key, Revolution In The Head and Live In The Country are enjoyable songs for the most part and add to the ‘anything goes’ approach that Girls Aloud always had. I sort of love that they had a song with farmyard animal noises in it. But none of them are my favourites.

Fix Me Up is one of the worst songs they ever released and I never listen to it. We Wanna Party also screams four-year old demo, which is exactly what it was.

That leaves the singles and Miss You Bow Wow (and Love Is Pain - it may sound unfinished but I still love it) as the real top tier moments from that album. More than some other popstars have, which is something.

I remember listening to it in 2008 and whilst I enjoyed it, it felt like Xenomania were starting to run out of steam. It definitely didn’t feel as tight and accomplished as Tangled Up. As much as I would have loved another Girls Aloud album in 2009/2010 - maybe it’s a good thing that it didn’t happen for the sake of their legacy.

I'm less bothered by it now, but in 2004 I was so crushed by the artwork for the album. We'd had so many multi-colour delights for the singles, and the videos, and then....that.
Did we ever get the full picture of the girls in HQ of what the cover was made from? I can see it on that Form website that was posted but it's not very clear dd

I'm less bothered by it now, but in 2004 I was so crushed by the artwork for the album. We'd had so many multi-colour delights for the singles, and the videos, and then....that.
Yeah looking at all of the alternate options it’s a bit surprising they went with the one they did.

Also watching the unboxing video, as a stan knowing all of their CD artwork back to front and seeing them not even remembering it is a scream.

He/Him
On the subject of Out of Control, I’ve always felt that some of the songs sound unfinished or incomplete, especially compared to Tangled Up which felt very polished.
I wonder did the two year gap between Chemistry and Tangled Up just allow Xenomania to take their time, collect great songs as they went (Call The Shots being 2006) and perfect the album. Whereas Out of Control was way more rushed. I’d consider Damn quite demo-ish though as much as I love it.

Mvnl

Staff member
Well that hardly hurt Chemistry.. (with those sessions also bringing Black Jacks, Singapore and I think Damn as well?)

Apart from We Wanna Party unnecessarily being dug up and a few songs feeling like something they done before (Live In The Country - Love/Hate, Love Is The Key - Waiting) I feel Out Of Control still was quite a stellar release.
But I think between the radio premiere discussion on here and actually being in London both in the week the Promise came out and for the tour definitely helped making it just feel like a special era to me. Plus the Brits obviously.

I think the artwork is totally perfect and probably my favourite album artwork of theirs.

I love how simple it is with the white background, which is juxtaposed to the very colourful image and music that they had at the time.

I really don't like Here We Go... mostly because it's Nadine-less.
Also feels like it needs some kind of bridge before the final chorus.
I've always felt like Here We Go works much better with just one main vocalist. I guess having to section off the vocals to multiple singers makes the lack of bridge more apparent!

Not when Out of Control is their last album!

Tangled Up really is the pinnacle of their discography but I don’t think Out Of Control was a dip in quality?

The Promise
The Loving Kind
Untouchable
Rolling Back The Rivers In Time
Miss You Bow Wow
Revolution In The Head

Are all top tier for me, my only skip is Live In the Country.

Last edited:
Very pleasantly surprised to have received my copy in the US on release day - usually I'm waiting for ages for UK pop merch. What a lovely little package it is! They've always been so generous with giving thegayseverythingtheywant.gif