Gladiators Reboot (BBC)

He/him
I was just saying to my hubby at the weekend that it must be a quite a boring show to see live. All the time it takes to change between events etc. It must be a long day.

It's been 7 episodes and there are some Gladiators that really haven't made an impact yet. I'm not sure why, maybe they haven't been used enough, or maybe they haven't been interviewed enough I don't know. Also, it might be because I'm an adult now and not 8 years old like I was when the original series aired, but a lot of the Gladiators/Contestants come across as so cringey.

He/him
Yes there's a lot of cringe. Honestly, I can't watch Viper. I don't know why they went panto villain with him (clearly intended to be the new Wolf) but it is awful. When there are genuinely funny "villains" like Legend, and then part time baddies like Bionic and Diamond when she gets to be spicy, there's no need for Viper. He's a terrible Gladiator anyway.

But when it's done right, it really works as perfect Saturday night entertainment, with a wink and a nudge.

I went as a kid as well and filming started at 1pm and finished around 6pm, and that was with six events. I didn’t see the Eliminator. It was smooth in terms of transition between events and had plenty of entertainment (mainly for the kids). But it was very long. However, couldn’t grumble as the tickets were free. I think this time around the filming had similar run times. I also feel like they have an hour to fill as opposed to 45 minutes in the 90/ so filming might be longer in that respect too as they have more to material to include.

It's been 7 episodes and there are some Gladiators that really haven't made an impact yet. I'm not sure why, maybe they haven't been used enough, or maybe they haven't been interviewed enough I don't know. Also, it might be because I'm an adult now and not 8 years old like I was when the original series aired, but a lot of the Gladiators/Contestants come across as so cringey.

I wonder if it’s the number of Gladiators that is the problem as 16 is quite large for a first series and ‘only’ having 5 events. If they’d had say 12 you’d get to see/know them more maybe and then in future seasons you know them already and the newer ones come in and they can be the focus. If this does get a second series, I think it’s curtains for Viper, Athena and either Dynamite or Electro.

I was just saying to my hubby at the weekend that it must be a quite a boring show to see live. All the time it takes to change between events etc. It must be a long day.
There was a post on Reddit from someone who went to a taping last year. Apparently it was a 7-hour day, but they had "local DJs doing entertainment in between which included quizzes, a sign competition judged by the gladiators (there was a sign writing station in the concourse, a tug of war between the gladiators and the kids and other things." So it sounds like they at least tried to entertain the audience in between events.

He/him
There was a post on Reddit from someone who went to a taping last year. Apparently it was a 7-hour day, but they had "local DJs doing entertainment in between which included quizzes, a sign competition judged by the gladiators (there was a sign writing station in the concourse, a tug of war between the gladiators and the kids and other things." So it sounds like they at least tried to entertain the audience in between events.
Ah brill, that sounds good.

Just watched the latest episode and for me, some of the female gladiators are seriously lacking serious screen time. It seems to be all about Sabre, Diamond and Fury.

"This is a terrible segment. Move on"

Legend gets it.

Looks like for Hang Tough they've told the Gladiators they can't release and pull the contender from the body down to the mat as has always been done in the past. On the two takedowns the Male Gladiators always had their hands still on the rings. I guess a way to reduce injury risk after Comet.

Last edited:
Athena has appeared 10 times so far, 9 of those appearances have been on team events.

I think says it all. Giving her just a single one on one event in 8 episodes is very much making up the numbers territory.

Another enjoyable episode. Legend just gets how to make entertaining telly. Viper being poor at another one on one game and that had to be stopped too. And nice to see Hang Tough again.

Pleased with the winners of this episode although my fave male contender didn’t make the cut for the semis. Shame!

"This is a terrible segment. Move on"

Legend gets it.

Looks like for Hang Tough they've told the Gladiators they can't release and pull the contender from the body down to the mat as has always been done in the past. On the two takedowns the Male Gladiators always had their hands still on the rings. I guess a way to reduce injury risk after Comet.
I noticed this from the first time they did hang tough so I think it was just a new rule put in place from the start.

He/him
I noticed this from the first time they did hang tough so I think it was just a new rule put in place from the start.
To be fair, it's for the best. Having someone as big as some of those Glads fully hanging off your body and actively pulling on you with their entire body weight, while your poor shoulders are clinging to their sockets for dear life, is potentially so dangerous.