Glee | Page 224 | The Popjustice Forum

Glee

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mvnl, May 3, 2009.

1. I think Becca Tobin is the one that's friends with most of the cast. I think every single one of them, honestly. Jenna, Amber, Chris and Kevin seem very close to this day; Dianna was also close to Amber; Heather and Naya, of course, and apparently the two are still friends with most of them too. The ones that I'd singled out are Lea and Darren. I think Lea was the only one at Darren's wedding, so...

I think it's very telling, tho, that the two cast members that got by far the most songs and were pushed as main characters are the ones who everybody else seem to have distanced themselves from. The fact that Rachel and Blaine were insufferable, even for Glee levels, didn't help them. It's a fact that Lea was a diva and let the power got over her head, maybe Darren did the same?

Mr Brightside and An Insider like this.
  2. On that note, I've seen Ryan Murphy saying on Twitter how he would remake Glee with Lea Michelle, Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein and I can't get over how out of touch that is for someone who's behind a series like Pose.

Glee was supposedly about diversity, but it's very off-putting how all the real lead characters, the ones who got actual screen time and plot, were all white. Finn, Rachel, Blaine, Kurt, Quinn, Sue, Will, Emma, Sam, Brittany... Santana was arguably the only non white character who barely got through the whole series with something to do every now and then (and even then, she was basically a caricature of a villain). Mind that Mercedes and Tina were main characters from the get go, but were trampled everytime a new white actor arrived. Like... Blaine and Sam weren't even in the first season and by Season 2 they were significantly more important to the plot than any of the POCs. And all of that happened while Jenna Ushkowitz and specially Amber Riley were amazing singers. Poor Amber were only there to add adlibs and sing songs that even Lea Michelle couldn't, but Mercedes was hardly singing about anything going on in her life, instead she was only belting notes to a song that was emotional and complementary to one of her white Glee friends storylines. Heather Morris was singing BEYONCÉ while Amber barely got anything, for God's sake.

It's funny how Glee started off as a wannabe edgy, tongue in cheek parody of High School Musical's clownery, but became a parody of itself really quickly and a parade of white mediocrity and privilege. I look back now and feel sad to not being able to notice just how white Glee was and how it used minorities only as props. It was 2009, I guess, but Ryan willing to be this stupid again in 2020 just rubbed me the wrong way, really.

I'm sorry for the outburst, girls.

3. No need to apologize. Admittedly, I didn’t follow Glee’s later seasons as much, but the show’s opening mission statement seemed to be that of diversity. Mercedes was part of what caught our attention in Season 1 and it’s a shame she was underutilized later.

I did some digging and dd I didn’t see Naya’s reveal before, wherein she got some heat for getting more screentime for her role:

"If I'd complained about anyone or anything, she'd assumed I was bitching about her. Soon, she started to ignore me, and eventually it got to the point where she didn't say a word to me for all of season 6."

Remorque and Humes like this.
  4. See if you pick a random episode especially towards the later seasons... Fuck me. this show was straight GARBAGE.

5. Fuck, this show has had such a problematic cast.

I can't remember when I gave up watching, but it was so so bad. Cringe-inducingly so. I remember saying to my BF at the time that Tina and Mercedes were two of the original handful but they seemed pushed further and further to the sidelines as time went on, then there was a whole episode where Tina dreamt she was the 'Rachel' and ended up respecting how terrible it must be for Rachel to be to have to carry them all!!!?

Absolute shite.

6. Maybe Naya was right all along... it's not surprising yet fascinating that Lea was completely eaten by Rachel Berry. But that's what happens when you make a show revolve around someone's ego.

7. Glee sort of existed in this meta world where it was very aware of how ridiculous it was and often referenced that. It was quite fun at first when the show was also a little tamer and tackled important issues, but in the last few seasons, when the storylines had just become ridiculous and the characters all made a hundred times more annoying, it became a trainwreck. I mean, wasn't there an episode where they all got high and imagined themselves as puppets?!

I remember back in 2010-12, this show was ruled by Tumblr/Twitter. Rachel/Finn/Kurt/Blaine/Brittany/Santana had some of the most rabid stan communities online and it definitely contributed to the downfall, in my opinion. Ryan was aware of the fanbase and the show essentially became written for them. Darren and Chris and Naya and Heather were also targets for fans convinced they were real life couples and made it very difficult for them to be friendly and interact, from what I can remember. Darren's girlfriend at the time was even sent death threats.

lushLuck and Hudweiser like this.
  8. Wait Darren Criss isn't gay?

9. Brad Falchuk's vision for the show was for it to have a bittersweet tone and reflect the lost dreams of a washed-up high school teacher and the misplaced optimism of teenagers. The other writers for the show couldn't figure out what the hell they wanted to convey, Ryan Murphy in particular. Falchuk's episodes feel like they are from a completely different show. Ryan Murphy was happy to throw character arcs and internal logic out.

10. Remember when Ryan was the ultimate troll and broke up every couple on the show in a single episode? ddd

11. Every time I blinked, they'd switched the couples around again.

It's a shame because it genuinely started out really well. It got too big too soon and seemed reluctant to accept it was nothing more than the 00s version of Fame.

Andrew.L and Tribal Spaceman like this.
  12. Someone drag Dianna online and ask ha why Ryan hated her so much whilst the mess is here.

13. YASS @ Lea finally getting exposed.

14. Wasn't it because she wanted to big star but ended up just being in that flop I Am Number Four movie about da alien?

15. He needed an excuse for that Coldplay song!

16. Gwyneth Paltow singing ‘Forget You’ by Cee-Lo.

Never Forget. Never Forgive.

camden_italian and lushLuck like this.
  17. Murphy has been pretty vocal about how much he hated the way Diana played Quinn and I think that simply transformed into Murphy hating Diana. He really does himself no favours. Trash.

Subspace88 likes this.
  18. This explains EVERY Emma Roberts character in a Murphy production.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.