Goldfrapp - Head First | Page 52 | The Popjustice Forum

Goldfrapp - Head First

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by magictreehouse, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This song is getting good airplay.

I think this + Gabriella Cilmi's On a Mission are perfect compliments to each other despite being from totally different artists. Its like a space themed disco revival.

2. I am actually kind of dismayed Pascal Gabriel has credits on Head First simply because I think it will open them up to criticism from people who say (are saying) that the direction they've taken with this album brings them too close to the Ladyhawke aesthetic.

3. Which is also probably why they have not mentioned anything about it. That, and they don't want their fans to think that they have "sold out". Of course it does make sence why the album only took 6 months for them to complete while simultaneously doing a film score.

4. I don't think the press and people like that really pay that much attention to who co-produced a song, unless it's Timbaland, Red One, or one of those. The main producers are still Will and Alison.

I'm glad that Goldfrapp picked Richard X and Pascal Gabriel for their first time using some proper  "pop" producers. Both of the have an amazing back  catalogue. But yeah, I guess it's better for them if articles don't mention the fact that the album is being co-produced by Ladyhawke and Marina's producer.

5. Not the album, but only some tracks. And considering they sound nothing like Ladyhawke - I see no problem here.

About Richard X - wasn't his only involvement a (bloody awful) remix of 'Rocket'?

6. He did additional production on ''Alive''

7. Oh goodness. Having just listened to the widget on the homepage, I'm somewhat disappointed at it being an '80s pastiche. Lots of it sounds like the incidental music from an arcade game. I only liked two tracks.

Can't they just make an album that has a couple of original ideas on it?

8. He has done some great stuff in recent years, his work with Miss Kittin on 'Bat Box' is among his best work.

I shall withhold judgement of 'Head First' until I get the CD.

9. Is 'Rocket' being released as a physical cd single or just a download?

10. I rather enjoy the Richard X remixes. Actually, scratch that - I think they're bloody marvellous.

Whilst I prefer the album mix for day-to-day listening, I wouldn't be mortally offended if I heard one of the X versions in a club. In fact I think I'd like that. A lot.

11. I AGRE

12. moorje

moorje Guest

Both. You get postcards with it if you order from mutestore.

I like the Penguin Prison and Grum remixes best as they dare to sound a bit different to the original. Whilst Richard X and Tiesto certainly beef it up, I like remixes that make a song sound different.

13. i really like rocket!

14. They played one of the Richard X remixes in a club (along with the video!) here in Seattle, while we were waiting for Little Boots to come make an appearance. The place, as they say, went OFF.

(it was a gay club).

15. i wanna hear the full album already!

16. So have you heard the whole album, xolonndon? If so, what do you think of it?

17. The title track is one of the most retro tracks on the album.

The not-so-80's tracks are 'Hunt,' 'Voicething,' 'Shiny & Warm,' 'Dreaming,' and even 'Believer.'

18. So has it leaked yet or what?

19. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I like the way Goldfrapp have waited until the last decade's obsession with the 1980s was over before releasing an album in that vein. Always avoiding trends.
    And they've managed to homage the decade in a far more subtle way than their peers.

20. Yes, exactly. That's why I don't see it as "following the trend instead of starting it" this time around... Because copying/paying homage to the 80's was cool in 2004-2008. It's "out" now and a totally appropriate time for Goldfrapp to step in a take a stab at it.

And agreeing with the latter statement... Most acts that have done the whole 80's thing have done electro pop from the 80's (Dannii, Holly, La Roux, Little Boots, god knows what else). Goldfrapp are paying homage to the sunshiney power pop that hasn't really been done before (When in recent times has someone made an ABBA/Fleetwood Mac-esque power ballad? - the song 'Head First')

They're amazing. Still creating and setting trends, and avoiding following anyone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.