Goldfrapp - Head First | Page 56 | The Popjustice Forum

Goldfrapp - Head First

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by magictreehouse, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't think they did "electropop" (if we want to use a generic term like that to describe it) to capitalize on Madonna and Kylie's success.

They experimented with the more upbeat electronica during the Felt Mountain era with their cover of Olivia Newtown John's Physical. They wanted to do something upbeat, so *bang* Black Cherry was made.

I also don't think they were latecomers. Electronica has existed way before the likes of Madonna and Kylie, so to credit them for making electronica popular is even more laughable than crediting Goldfrapp (who I would say have a lot more credibility with the genre then both of them combined). However if you compare the first half of the 2000s and the second half, the second half had a lot more electropop and electronica artists, or already established artists who have replaced their guitars/pianos with synths. So to claim that the wave of electropop had reached its peak during 2002, is all sorts of wrong.

2. And it's indeed always the same problem with Goldfrapp, people systematically mention their 'credibility'. Which is defined as...?

3. Being taken a bit more seriously as artists, in contrast to others who just rely A&R to get some producer to bang out a demo for them to sing in.

I love Kylie, but how much input did she even have on Can't Get You Out Of My Head?

4. Who said it 'reached it's peak'? And who said Kylie and Madonna made it popular? I said that by 2002 it was already well and truly there in the mainstream and you don't get much more mainstream than Kylie and Madonna. "Freak Like Me"... there's another!

And of course the second half of the decade there was more than the first... that's kinda how it works.

5. Pre-order made. Hopefully will get the CD by next Friday as HMV usually manage this!

6. IotV

IotV Guest

Confirmed to be performing next week on Jonathan Ross!

7. Good stuff!

8. This to (like Justin Bieber & Gabriella Cilmi) has hit the net.

9. I didnt realise this has been released onto itunes already?

10. I don't think it has. It's leaked online. It's not released till March 22nd.

11. She had tons of input because if it had been released by Cathy Dennis herself, noone would have bought it.

So there you go.

12. i love the album!

13. Fantastic.- aside from maybe Alive.

The end of Hunt is amazing.

14. So glad they moved on from the snoozefest that was their last album... "Rocket" rocks! But should sell more.

15. It's not on next week because of Sports Relief. It's the 26th Goldfrapp will be performing.

16. 'Hunt' is amazing.

I'm still on the fence about 'Dreaming'.

17. I love dreaming almost as much as hunt.

18. This actually angers me.

Seventh Tree (in my opinion) was their best album to date. And a large majority of fans agree with that and/or Felt Mountain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.