Goldfrapp - The Singles | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

Goldfrapp - The Singles

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Glitterizer, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

I'm sorry graffiti, I really am; you're wrong.

2. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

Thank you for posting. I love Alison! Dressing up; doing "a bit of Hovering, horses tail, yeah."

Have we ever mentioned her amazing shoe collection?

3. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

Haha! I totally accept that my opinion is 'wrong' by Popjustice standards!

4. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

I understand what she is saying but I don't understand how she can hate the album. The only songs that were "too precise and on the nose" were the singles.

I really wish Head First, the song, would have been a single. I think it could have actually been the lead single. It could have been the A&E of this album. Every time I hear that song, it automatically puts a smile on my face.

5. moorje

moorje Guest

Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

Her comments about Head First are quite strange as she seemed really upbeat when she was performed songs from it live and on TV. Yes they're very straightforward but they're also very joyous. I find the two new songs very straightforward in their own way. Maybe her opinion has been swayed by the fan and commercial backlash. However it might shed some light on why 'Rocket' got dropped fom the setlist towards the end of the tour.

6. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

I suppose with songs that are very instant and upfront, they fade very quickly because you can't explore them properly when you perform.

Songs like Tiptoe or the ones from Seventh Tree, you can really play around with and modify, but a song like Head First is very obvious and would get boring after a while.

7. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

It's a bit of a shame Alison feels like she does about Head First, it does have some pretty good songs on it but also some that I really don't like namely Rocket and Shiny and Warm. I thought Head First showed a much wider lyrical range and scope. It is poppy and cheesy but I don't think it's that bad.

8. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

Girl, if Rocket couldn't do shit, no other song in this album could.
    That song is the ultimate catchy 80's tribute.

9. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

I'm glad she recognizes that Felt Mountain is still one of their best works. It felt that way with Melancholy Sky, it's the closest thing to their first album that they've released (albeit MUCH more polished)... But it's good to have that added confirmation.

I hope their next album is deliciously somber.

10. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

I really liked Head First - it was a soundtrack to summer for me, but I've recently discovered alot of the remixes of that era and there is some much more richness to Head First era when you discover the joyous and enjoyable remixing that went on. Dreaming is still the song that I come back to from Head First.

I guess when you look at the depth and different types of genres that Goldfrapp have explored over their career, it makes this type of half-hearted Best Of that much more disappointing. There is so much to choose from - It could've been on par with a Bjork Greatest Hits.

11. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

The fact that Allison referenced Gattaca as inspiration is just a magical suprise. No wonder I love them so much.

12. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

Haha, I do love Rocket. I don't understand why it never really took off... people these days.

13. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

Rocket was the best choice for first single... except, maybe, I Wanna Life.

14. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

I would love this Singles album to come out with a Rarities disc. I would love to hear studio takes on Little Death & Sartorious.

15. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

They should make their own version, like Bjork did.

16. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

Oh the glamour

17. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

That's a sign! Deers, wolves, an owl, horses... the mouse should be their next album's spirit animal, after Head First having none.

18. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

Oh my! Amazon just put this up for pre-order and the length of Yellow Halo is actually 4:42. The preview clip also has the omitted verse from the video version. I cannot wait to hear the full version. I feel like it is better than Melancholy Sky.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Singles/dp/B006XDO4G4/ref=tmm_msc_title_0

19. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

I always liked Yellow Halo even more than Melancholy Sky, and am really looking forward to hear this full version.

20. Re: Goldfrapp - Best Of / Singles Album

This pleases me tremendously. Yellow Halo is magnificent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.