Gossip Girl | Page 61 | The Popjustice Forum

Gossip Girl

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Robbietoxic, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Chile the writing is… bad. But I’ll be watching weekly, I love mess.

2. It exceeded my expectations...

I feel drawn to the characters already!

Finally have something to fill the missing piece that my top 2 fave dramas left...
    (PLL and GG)

3. Amazing production value, incredible production value… but boy was this sort of dull. Dreadful acting aside, it just all felt a bit too tame and lacking any intrigue or compelling drama. Also, the tone shift to the teacher scenes nearly threw my neck out; whatever that show is should be eliminated immediately. Perhaps it’s because I’m rewatching Élite right now, which seamlessly manages to pack in 35 ridiculous storylines into every episode, but this felt like a teen soap without any of the soapiness. Again, it’s all stunning enough to keep me watching, but for a pilot, it failed to setup much of note.

Also, Gossip Girl has always been the show’s least interesting character, and making them the central villain feels like an immediate mistake.

I’m going to finish with a question:
    What was the photo of that the girls AirDrop’d around the fashion show? Did they show it & I missed it? I know Not Penelope took Not Chuck into the bathroom to take the pic, but I’m still confused as to what it was of.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Lately, 4Roses, Someboy and 2 others like this.
  4. It was Max's d*ck pic, no? Hence why they never showed it on screen.

5. I found a way to watch this and… I was a little disappointed?

Firstly, the teacher’s being Gossip Girl subplot feels like a major misstep. I sort of understand they wanted something more believable perhaps but Gossip Girl work as an omnipresent narrator; hence why the reveal (and attempts to put logic behind it) ruined it in the original series.

In terms of the characters, I still don’t really understand why the two half-sisters wouldn’t be allowed to go to school together, did I miss something with that plot?

It felt like things moved too quickly, Julien inviting Zoya to the fashion show, Zoya going back to Obie’s etc. I felt like they were rushing the setup and it took me out of the episode a little.

I’ll continue to watch as I think it might settle into itself (and hopefully the teachers subplot is quickly sidelined). Aki and Max flirting from the outset is enough to hold my attention for now.

4Roses and Heartthrob like this.
  6. Their dads - especially Julien's - would freak the fuck out.

7. There's bad blood between their fathers because their mother left Julien's father for Zoya's father. And Zoya's father low-key has Rufus energy in the sense that he thinks that the UES will have a bad influence on Zoya.

lushLuck likes this.
  8. She went from cute Texas girl to "Don't fuck with queen bee" upper east side girl in a few days ddd I am living.

elektroxx likes this.
  9. I do think that they had to go in heavy with Gossip Girl playing the main antagonist in the first episode to re-establish its presence in the universe and establish a need for a Gossip Girl-esque presence in the narrative. I'm sure that as the episodes continue, Gossip Girl will resume her more traditional narrator role.

I'm in two minds about Gossip Girl being the teachers. I like it from a narrative standpoint, as I feel like it's an interesting angle that the original Gossip Girl didn't really touch on, aside from the Ms. Carr storyline, where the students at Constance Billards and St. Jude's would have zero respect for their teachers and not view them as authority figures, but the actors portraying the teachers aren't exactly doing the best job.

At the moment, the only characters who I like are Zoya and Obie. Julien is an interesting protagonist. Max is filling the Chuck but pansexual role well. I find Audrey and Aki painfully boring, but I'm sure that they'll eventually become more interesting when they become a throuple with Max.

And Luna and Monet give me:

[​IMG]
    which I'm happy about, although I do wonder if they'll get more depth as the show continues or remain one-note villains.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    lushLuck and Music Is Death like this.
  10. I found myself already waiting for a potential twist with the teacher plot. It’s just asking for one.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the first episode. It’s a nice start to an ambitious reboot.

11. Yeah I think the mid season finale will be. Gossip Girl gets hacked. The teachers get exposed and an unknown person takes over.

Passion, Sonny Ammbo and Lander like this.
  12. Well…the show could have used some nudity on the first episode fff

lushLuck and Lander like this.
  13. I'm into it! As usual with a pilot, sometimes you need to give them time to explore the characters they're presenting, but the concepts are there and the paths they could take them could be more interesting down the line.

I would like to see one of the teachers to get in trouble, what they're doing is beyond problematic and it would add a touch of realism to see at least one of them go down and the rest freak out. I also thought mid episode the account could be hacked at some point and taken over by someone else, that would be fun.

I actually liked all the references to the original, they made it sound like Nate was a big deal (?) I fount it funny that they pointed out the Chuck and Blair storyline would be seen as problematic today and kii to the comment on Blair being princess for a while, what a fucking dumb storyline, but I lived for it.

Do you guys know who the teacher that showed them the GG blog was? Were we supposed to know her from the original series?

Enrique Garcia likes this.
  14. Only fans with great memories or who'd watched recently:

15. How could they not make stoner lacrosse player turned media mogul Nate "Will you be running for mayor?" Archibald sound like a big deal?
    Damn, that was one obscure reference.

Sonny Ammbo likes this.
  16. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

The whiplash from sleek teen drama to bad screwball teacher comedy was so weird, and it doesn’t help that, I’m sorry, but Tavi’s performance is so, so bad. They really needed someone who could pull off the dark absurdity of a teacher reanimating Gossip Girl, and Tavi (and the other teachers) were giving us workplace single-camera hijinks. You could imagine Kristen Bell herself doing it, or someone like Kathryn Hahn (obviously they’re too big for a Gossip Girl revival, but someone with their energy).

I thought the lead was by far the best part. Maybe she just had the most to do, but I thought she made the Julien character into something resembling three-dimensional.

@Nunya B there’s a line in the first episode, “Sies Marjain is for everybody,” which I thought you would appreciate in its utter ridiculousness.

Nunya B and lushLuck like this.
  17. That was quick…but expected tbh

nooniebao, spaceship, Edu and 2 others like this.
  18. Sies Marjan is already out of business!

dvno and Someboy like this.
  19. Isn’t this first season also split into two parts with the remaining episodes debuting later in the fall?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.