Grey's Anatomy Universe | Page 116 | The Popjustice Forum

Grey's Anatomy Universe

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Blackout 2.0, May 21, 2010.

1. I don't think it was Sarah Drew, I don't know why they'd have April on the beach. It seems like she's coming back for a Jackson-related story.

2. Loved seeing Lexie back on screen but that was some serious Julianna Margulies/Archie Panjabi CGI going on.

3. Yea, Chyler would have had to quarantine in Canada for two weeks, interrupting filming on Super Girl, to come shoot with Eric and Ellen. It's kind of awesome to know that everyone involved wanted to pull this off so much that they made it work remotely. I think that, as obvious as it was in several shots, they did a good job considering. I really didn't think we'd get a Lexie episode.

4. True, they did make it work better than The Good Wife (which was done for obvious reasons). It was nice to see Chyler although I guess I was surprised she was back on considering her husband's now-deleted tweets from a few weeks ago. I thought for sure that rule out a Chyler appearance (although maybe that's what prompted them).

stopthestatic likes this.
  5. I love Ellen.

ratedr, Andrew.L, Island and 2 others like this.
  6. They really brought my girl Lexie back just to push Meredith on a swing

[​IMG]

7. So far, the George and Deluca beach appearances have felt the most meaningful character-wise. To me, at least. The George episode in particular was just so emotionally affecting with her finally telling him she changed his life, etc and the scene with the four of them at the end.

I thought the Mark/Lexie scenes were beautiful, especially this -

[​IMG]

But, similar to the Derek scenes so far, they seemed to be less about Mark/Lexie as people/Meredith's relationship with them, and more about the beach plot and Meredith's ~willingness to live story, which is completely fine as well. I will say the George episode was my favourite because it was about Meredith and George, not about her waking up or staying on the beach.

8. Season 16 is one streaming on Disney+! I’m two episodes behind with season 17 but will be catching up on what I’ve missed soon!

Lander likes this.
  9. I rewatched Thursday's episode and can confirm that it was a perfect 10/10 for me.

The beach scenes were beautiful, and I'm still really impressed at how skillfully they're touching on death, grief, and ideas of the afterlife with a storyline that could have very easily been ruined by ham-fisted fan candy. The ongoing theme of the characters who have died being at peace, but still wishing they could speak to their loved ones consistently fucks me up; George talking about wanting to shake the grief out of his mother; Mark wanting to yell at Callie and Arizona during their divorce; Lexie telling Meredith that she's never left her. I think they did a beautiful job of working Chyler in, as well. The eye-level issue that was clear in promos was fixed, thankfully.

They've been discussing (and showing) the kids more and more. I believe that's what will ultimately push Meredith back, presumably in a final episode with Derek. I assumed we'd get an Ellis appearance as well, but Meredith already got an afterlife hug with her in season 3 (this show is so iconic ddd).

Teddy and Amelia's interactions were great. I love that most writers would have them be catty, but they've developed a really mature, fun relationship. Amelia trying to help Teddy get back on her feet has been a nice, subtle storyline. This episode even had me smiling at Owen scenes! First his texts with Cristina, and then when he acknowledged that Teddy deserved the credit for Meredith's care at the end.

I adore everything about Maggie's storyline this season and Kelly has been a standout from the very start. It really hit me while watching the episode how far Maggie has come and how much she's grown up. Her coming up with the vent-splitting trick was great – it was nice to have a bunch of joy at the end of an episode that I assumed would be depressing. Speaking of joy, I cheered at Winston popping the question. Obviously it's insanely fast, but something about their pairing has felt 'forever' since his very first episode, and I love that they both want to cling to joy amidst the pandemic.

Hayes has been used a lot lately, which I'm super happy about. It was nice to meet a member of his extended family, and I really hope that his sister-in-law wasn't introduced now to be killed down the line. She was a lot of fun. I also like the working relationship he and Jo have developed, and I was kind of worried they might try to explore them as a couple - but it doesn't seem to be going in that direction. His sister-in-law acknowledging that he's smitten with Meredith feels like more confirmation that we're going to see them as a couple whenever she recovers.

Both medical cases (Hayes' sister-in-law + the mother and daughter on vents) were great; well-paced and I was invested from the jump. Plus... is Jo going to switch to urology now?! I actually think she and Catherine could be a fun mentoring pair.

Unless they somehow royally fuck up the remaining episodes, this season will go down as one of my favorite. It's certainly the most unique, and despite some obvious challenges and certain stories taking longer than people might like (I know y'all are ready for Meredith to leave the beach), I really applaud them for being the only medical show to fully dive into COVID and focus on the toll it took on hospitals early on. They could have taken the easy way out and ignore it like other medical dramas have, but they've turned it into something incredibly special.

stopthestatic likes this.
  10. I still need to watch the most recent episode but I'm here to say the Teddi centric episode is one of my absolute favorites that they've done in any recent season. There is such a complex character there and I think they did a marvelous job of giving her dimension. I cried more at the end of the episode than I did anywhere else this season, which is a high bar to clear after some of the tragedy we've seen so far.

VicePresidentJocasta likes this.
  11. I know people are split on it, but I thought it was fantastic, too. They executed the dream sequences masterfully - Kevin McKidd has grown into a strong director. I'd really love to see Teddy getting into therapy moving forward. I've been saying for a while that her character has been through so much tragedy that never seemed to be addressed, so I was glad that they laid it all out, from the loss of her parents and Allison before we met her, to all of the trauma and heartbreak she's endured since she joined the show in season 6 (not to mention the pandemic). It's been a lot. Amelia was a much-needed voice of reason laying out for Owen that Teddy's PTSD has gone untreated and, while it doesn't excuse her behavior or mean that Owen should hurt any less, she deserves some grace and understanding. I thought Kim was phenomenal.

12. Station 19 + Grey's are covering George Floyd's death and the Black Lives Matter protests from last summer in the coming weeks. From what Krista has said, it will be a larger focus on Station 19 (tying into Dean's ongoing storyline), whereas I think on Grey's it'll be contained to the one episode.

Grey's Anatomy – “Sign O’ the Times” – Maggie is preoccupied with Winston while trying to treat a patient wounded in the Seattle protests. Meanwhile, Levi is tested by an emergency, and the doctors struggle to treat a patient who doesn’t believe in COVID. Phylicia Rashad guest stars (Thursday, April 15).

Station 19 – “Get Up, Stand Up” – In the wake of national outcry after the tragic murder of an unarmed Black man, Maya brings in Dr. Diane Lewis to grief counsel the team (Thursday, April 22nd).

EDIT: Promo for next week's episode.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  13. Nice to see Alex is finding work elsewhere. He is... a man even though he can’t really act

14. Okay so I'm only up to Season 14- I keep rewatching the first 10 seasons and also 12, which I LOVED. Is it worth watching 14- 16? Are they good? Or can I skip straight to 17?
    Just at the end of Season 10 and I'd forgotten how Cristina and Arizona had quite a nice friendship going. I'd say at this point, Cristina was closer to Arizona than she was to Callie.

15. Island

Island Staff Member

Yesterday’s episode was a bit of a chore but the Amelia and Link scenes were great.

16. I would absolutely watch 14-16! 14 or 16 is probably the strongest of that set for me personally, but if you made it past 13 then everything else is worthwhile.

17. Thanks. I saw Meredith winning the Harper Avery but then lost interest in the stuff with Hunt's sister. I remember 13 being a bit of a chore, especially after 12 which I personally loved.
    Guess I'll continue with 14 once I've watched Cristina and Meredith dance it out one last time.

Jonathan27 likes this.
  18. I liked this week's episode. The Amelink scenes were cute, I liked the progress on the Jo storyline, and I even enjoyed the Teddy/Owen moment. I'm guessing Jackson's storyline is going to lead to April, since she was doing similar work when she left?

Did anyone watch Rebel? Wondering if it's worth tuning in.

Also my second week in a row not watching Station 19 and I'm so much happier. I'm done with that shitshow, life is too short.

Andrew.L likes this.
  19. I missed Grey's. I guess because of Easter Monday I thought it was Wednesday so I completely forgot. But I did watch Rebel. I enjoyed it. Great cast. It's very Erin Brokovich (she is a producer I believe) but Katey Sagal was great as was Andy Garcia.

stopthestatic and Andrew.L like this.
  20. Wait - Owen came across as a sympathetic character when apologising toTeddy! That's one of the biggest twists so far. McWidow got some good scenes with Jo. Overall a fairly good episode but not many spectactular moments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.