Grey's Anatomy Universe | Page 57 | The Popjustice Forum

Grey's Anatomy Universe

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Blackout 2.0, May 21, 2010.

1. I edited my post above with the only scenario I think could work. Killing off a major, beloved character like Alex offscreen and so close to the show’s end (presumably) would be a gigantic mistake.

A lot of people online are speculating what could’ve happened behind the scenes, but I think it’s most likely one of two scenarios. 1) he has had personal issues, requested time off and then realized he couldn’t or didn’t want to return after all, so he asked to be released from his contract. This is what Heigl did. or 2) he requested time off, was either inconsistent or unable to tell them when he would be back which was making planning storylines difficult, and they let him go. That’s ultimately what happened with Patrick Dempsey.

If you ask me, I would say the former scenario is most likely what occurred.

LPMA likes this.
  2. I just don't see how this would work. Alex was ready to move anywhere with Jo when she was looking to do her fellowship elsewhere. She'd have no real reason to stay in Seattle if Alex was going away long-term. It would be a major hindrance to the storytelling, especially for Jo's character. If they killed him off, it'd be a major storyline for both Jo and Meredith, potentially a way to bond them even further. I don't want it to happen, but given the circumstances it may be the shakeup that the show needs at the moment.

stopthestatic likes this.
  3. I don’t know, another loss like that would absolutely destroy Meredith. I can see why it would make sense, but it just seems... much even for a fictional character. And I feel it’d be a rehash of several storylines we’ve seen before.

Can’t they potentially have Alex back without having Justin return? I’d rather they have Alex get into some accident, where he’s rendered unrecognizable/facial surgery and have a different actor play him, which is actually something Grey’s hasn’t done before (the closest being the Ava storyline, but I try to forget that).

4. Fans would never accept another Alex, that's just... way too daytime soap, even for Grey's. In terms of what Meredith has been through, it reached preposterous hights way back in season 8 with the plane crash, so at this point it doesn't really matter. In truth, there hasn't been a really devastating loss for Meredith since Derek died in season 11. From season 12 onward, she's been pretty much left alone in terms of trauma/majorly dramatic shit (her dad died last season, but they were estranged).

I'd love to be wrong. I'd love for them to find a way to keep Alex alive so that there's at least potential for him to show up again and get real closure with Meredith, Jo, Bailey, Richard, etc. But unless Camilla is on her way out, I don't see how they can keep Alex alive. I think we'll see several episodes of very clunky, "Yup, Alex is still at his mom's!" exposition and then Jo will get a call that he got hit by a car or dragged by a bus or an airplane engine fell on him.

5. Aisha Tyler's iconic exit from Ghost Whisperer.

6. dddd I was thinking of

[​IMG]

7. I was thinking they could do a compromise and have his face mangled in a fire to give it more grit than your usual daytime drama nñ .

Besides the extra pain for Meredith, I just feel we’ve already gotten the “main character dies in freak accident” arc so many times on Grey’s already. I don’t see how they’d do it differently this time to keep it fresh.

DoggySwami likes this.
  8. Absolutely no to Alex being killed off-screen!

9. If they do kill him offscreen, they’ll probably bring back his mom to fill in some of the gaps or tell Jo.

Also, this news got buried but they announced there’s going to be 4 major crossover events with Station 19 this season, the first of which will be in the winter premieres.

10. TM

TM

Why can't they stop trying to make Station 19 happen!?

Maria, stopthestatic and 4Roses like this.
  11. They should’ve pushed a Pac North spin-off for next year and ended Grey’s this year. Move the crew and cast that wants to stay over so no one loses their jobs. Still the same stories and writing as Grey’s without all the extra baggage. Characters from the original show could come and go without it feeling like a huge deal. At some point, the show being centred around Meredith became as much a flaw as it was a strength. I would’ve preferred a generic hospital spin-off and probably watched another two decades if it meant an end to this particular story which has outlived its welcome and has veered into completely ridiculous territory. Plus the constant Station 19 pushing. That show just...isn’t it.

Andrew likes this.
  12. I don't mind Station 19 but I hate the crossovers. Pointless. Let the shows be their own entities.

13. SBK

SBK

Cross overs are fine, but four in a season... ?

14. I doubt they'll kill him off. Meredith already lost too much, it wouldn't make sense and would leave a bad taste in everyone's mouths, cast and viewers. Honestly, her sister, husband and then her best friend? Also Jo just came out from a huge depression scenario. They don't even have time to develop the impact of this loss. Too much is too much.

My bet is he'll either take care of his mother, or he'll work rehabilitating hospitals across the country just like he did/he's doing with Pac North, maybe receiving a huge opportunity, and Jo will stay.

And unpopular opinion, but I don't mind him going at all as long they don't kill him off. Of course the likes of Owen, Jackson, Maggie and DeLuca are far from interesting characters, but Alex has been really bland for several seasons now. Go, then come back for a cute final episode wrapping next year.

15. Us about approximately 50 characters that have left: “it’d be cute for them to come back in the series finale”

In reality, no one will return to this dumpster fire.

Maria and 4Roses like this.
  16. From another forum:

“Per a friend of mine who is... familiar with the set, Chambers wasn't being let go. He wasn't moving to any spin-off (there was never a Pac-Gen spinoff on the table). He was signed on through the end of next season. He's very well-liked on set, good friends with Ellen, Jesse, etc. He asked for time off for personal issues, which he was granted, and then amidst that break, he approached ABC and the producers asking to be let go from his contract immediately. “

17. Hmm. I wonder if an opportunity came up that he really wanted, or if he just genuinely realised he felt much better away from the show?

Hopefully if it’s amicable he could return for an episode at some point to properly wrap up. At this point I’d rather them set an end date for the show and perhaps bring some characters back for guest appearances as opposed to 80 people showing up in the series finale.

Maria likes this.
  18. I hope it isn't a serious personal issue. But ABC/Disney wouldn't let him out of a contract so quickly without very good reason. From the press releases, it seems like the issue won't be addressed for quite some time. The first ep back is a direct continuation of the finale, and then the following episode description reads:

"Richard finds out Maggie quit Grey Sloan and is concerned about how she's handling the death of her patient who was her estranged cousin. Bailey returns to work after taking some personal time off, although Koracick doesn't make her first day as easy as she'd like. Meanwhile, Meredith thinks she might miss DeLuca, and Amelia has an update for Link on her pregnancy."

So I guess Alex will be off at his mom's for a while ddddd.

19. I think it’s either a serious physical or mental health issue or a personal family issue. He’s been committed to the show thus far and doesn’t seem like the type to go unless it was absolutely necessary. Hope everything is okay.

Considering this just happened, and they’re already filming episode 13/14, we probably won’t be getting a definite reason onscreen until episode 17 or so. Maybe earlier (eps 15/16) if they do last minute rewrites. Which means at least 5 or so (eps 10-14) episodes of “he’s still at his mom’s”.

20. I can't wait for all the cringe exposition dialogue they'll have for Jo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.