Grimes - 5th Album | Page 109 | The Popjustice Forum

Grimes - 5th Album

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lander, Aug 12, 2017.

1. aux

aux

Same here nn

djmakemewet likes this.
  2. How are all these new songs so good? Extreme wealth suits her!

3. RJF

RJF

“Delete Forever” is lovely.

4. 20200214_185533.jpg

"all of the shareholders <3 <3"

5. Can’t wait to cash in my Grimes Inc. dividend!

6. I want to talk about the video for Delete Forever because it really touched me in a personal way. It's a simple but powerful visual that brings in those classical images with the dramatic zoom outward, very much like Kanye West's Power video, but adds something very special and personal to it.

The close-up of her on the throne makes it appear as if she's leading a powerful kingdom at the height of its success: The austere marble, the vivid fabrics, the shining sun...it's the grandiosity and warmth of a heroin high. A few clever smiles makes it seem like she has everything under control.

As it zooms out, the clever narrative shift slowly becomes apparent. She is remaining on the throne in defeat and paralysis. The destruction she has been powerless to stop is all around and she doesn't have the strength to face it. Just like for the audience, it happened before she realized it was happening. Like trying to get distance away from an addiction: But sometimes the distance is too painful to experience. So you stay stuck.

It cut me deep and she has truly touched me on a personal level with this in a way I haven't connected with since realiti.

7. As much as I love Delete Forever, it's also the first song from the era where I don't get the mixing of the vocals.

greedygordo likes this.
  8. I haven't listened to the album since the initial leak, but I definitely remember Delete Forever becoming my favorite song just by the intro alone. It felt like an instant classic, even in its unmastered/unmixed form.

flyingwill likes this.
  9. “Delete Forever” and “You’ll miss me when I’m not around” were instant faves from the leak.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  10. The way this album has brainless BANGERS (4ÆM) and minimal masterpieces (Delete Forever) alike.

She just has the range!

11. Every song (except for violence) on this album is pure perfection. I always return with having new favorites. At the moment I am really drawn to before the fever/new gods/my name is dark.

And I really do love the mixing on this album - it all sounds a bit dirty, otherworldly, dark...

Delete forever would also have made a beautiful/melancholic outro-video for this era...with the visuals vaguely mirroring the throne-scene from the violence-video.

Euphoria and Cotton Park like this.
  12. This is true but the 4AM video in my mind would make a good outro - it has her and a set of dancers blowing up the throne. Choreography by Laurie Ann Gibson

13. Violence surpasses perfection. Best song on the album.

14. Am I the only one who still hasn't listened to the full album? I know half of it is out there already, but... I'm still perched.

Howling at her Thank You's. A shareholder reference, some vague, ominous "In Memory Of" message, a few <3 <3 <3s for good measure. So Grimes.

16. The full record leaked months ago and it's amazing. The official release is next friday so glad it's finally gonna happen.

Euphoria likes this.
  17. No I haven’t either. Content to wait until it’s fully out in any case - she’s kept me fed over the last few months!

Mr Blonde and Cotton Park like this.
  18. Delete Forever is so stunningly simple, melancholic and gorgeous. I just love how she goes from the most complicated productions to something so stripped back. I was loosing interest in the album release since it’s been taking forever, but now I’m fully invested again.

lushLuck likes this.
  19. I haven’t listened to it either. I loved the last album so much that I don’t want to spoil the release with leaks.

speedyboi likes this.
  20. Delete Forever is so beautiful, maybe my fave song from her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.