Grimes - Miss Anthropocene | Page 138 | The Popjustice Forum

Grimes - Miss Anthropocene

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lander, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Oh I loved Violence because it felt like a perfect match of a different producer and her own exquisite sensibilities. I can also cite Go and Phone Sex as other examples of great collaborations where not only Grimes is producing

2. If you didn't tell me Violence wasn't produced by her I wouldn't know. It's an incredible song and she'd better not be over that 'club record' before she's even put it out there because I NEED IT.

heavymetalGAGA, 4Roses, kal and 4 others like this.
  3. Still the best album of the year and so eerily prophetic.

Fashion forward.

"I'm out late at 4 AM. He says,
    "How's the weather, baby? How've you been?"
    You're gonna get sick, you don't know when"

I never trust the government and pray to God for sure indeed.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020

4. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/28/...baby-sleep.html#click=https://t.co/Bjkz84Pr6p

"Social norms do not dictate X’s media diet. “I’ve watched ‘Apocalypse Now’ and stuff with my baby,” she said. “He’s into radical art. Like, he just actually is, and I don’t think it’s problematic to engage with them on that level.”"

"X even helped Grimes with the music she produced for Endel; she used her baby as a sounding board. “The first version, there was too many sort of sharp bells, and it caused tears and just general chaos,” she said. As she fussed with the mix, “X would smile more and stuff.”"

askew, iRyan, Mr Blonde and 8 others like this.
  5. The competing energies of the title (Grimes x Endel) and the card (Endel x Grimes). What kind of shady bitch AI?

Xanax likes this.
  6. This might just about be that last drop where her persona and the statements she's making have turned too insufferable for me and I'm checking out. It's been a long time coming, which is shame, 'cause I still enjoy her music, but the eye-rolling is getting so hard I'm scared I'll permanently damage my optic nerve.

Future Lover and lob0to like this.
  7. How... dramatic.

8. I'm sorry but I find this extremely cute. The fact that the baby is somehow helping her shape music for him without realizing? She's always been pretentious, yes, but I'll take this kind of stuff over those inane lullaby albums/songs that some pop girls do after having their first kid.

9. She’s just on another planet I love her.

Fanatical, lushLuck and Mikal like this.
  10. I find her viewpoints extremely interesting in regards to the future of AI, especially since she actively integrates aspects of it in her music thematically and conceptually by actually using AI for her music. (+I would love a much more optimistic transhumanist discourse in society, so I am happy she is talking about it)

Fanatical likes this.
  11. This is the most rational thing I've seen from her in a long time. Congrats, Claire!

moorje and mayhuee like this.
  12. I think this album is stunning but I haven’t listened to it since March. We joked a bit about how an album about the end of the world (or whatever) arrived in time for COVID-19, but I genuinely think I’ve needed pop or folk more than I’ve needed darker, harder to digest stuff like this. As winter hits I’ve been thinking about it and will put it on while working this week maybe. I’ve never had quite this kind of reaction - like a cursed book I don’t want to open or something!

13. This is probably my favourite album of the year. When it came out I was already having an awful time with my mental health, and songs like Delete Forever and You'll Miss Me When I'm Not Around were really getting me through it, and then I loved the bops like Violence and 4AM that were so manic and dark. Then as the pandemic hit and all of this unravelled I stopped listening to the album in favour of comfort albums and a lot of new music (Annie, Jessie, Dua, Rina) which also happened to be quite upbeat. Then as autumn rolled around I put the record on again and was flawed by it. There has been so much amazing music out this year but I think this release might just take the crown for me in terms of how much release I found in it when I was really struggling. Unless by some kind of miracle Masochism either leaks or is released in full in the next six weeks.

14. (not Baby X being sampled again, her mind)

Island and sesita like this.
  15. Everything she does now just has a sense of evil to it now that she's part of the dark elite.

It's like, would I really listen to an album by Mary Koch even if it fucking slapped?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    He, Future Lover, Island and 9 others like this.
  16. Skip to the 38:02 mark for the interview.

New Flame and Xanax like this.
  17. Nn well at least Mary has the excuse of being born into it and not outright choosing it...

18. Her life feels so unbelievable it hasn’t really affected how I process her art yet. She and her relationship feel like something out of a comic book.

19. "Brutalist... a square, cement crib..." The taste. To be a child of Grimes...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.