Hair [General Discussion/ Q&A/ Whatever]

RhythmNative said:
However, you must ALWAYS make sure your hair is dry before you use straightening irons. If you apply irons to damp hair – the water molecules along the hair shaft rapidly expand and evaporate. You’re effectively cooks each strand from the inside out.

Hate to disagree, but my hairdresser told me this is a complete myth. Straightening your hair while wet has no greater long-term effect than straightening when dry. Apparently the straightener manufacturers 'put it out there' because the biggest danger from straightening damp hair is that the water left on the hair will heat up, run onto your skin and burn you.

P

potatosalad

Very good advice from RhythmNative there.

However, regarding the protector sprays - I try to brush my hair as straight as possible whilst blow drying to spend less time straightening with GHDs. I always spray my hair with the protector spray when I've finished drying my hair, then I let that dry for a few minutes and move onto the straightening. I had no idea you were supposed to spray it on then straighten it while your hair was still wet from spraying? Are you supposed to do that?

My hair is dark brown, and usually around shoulder length, I like it cut into a bob but it's thick and grows really quickly so I only have it for around 3 weeks.

I wash my hair around three times a week. I don't use straightners, and I have a feeling I am one of the only ones out of my friends who doesn't. It's straight enough anyway, and I don't want to mess with it too much.

Recently I've graduated from a centre parting to a side parting so I look a lot less geeky now.

I can only base my advice on what I've seen and read.

Before you touch any flat iron to your hair, it is critical that your hair is completely dry. If hair is wet, the heat from the flat iron will literally steam the water inside the hair shaft, bringing it to a boil, and that can rupture the hair in those areas. It is also imperative to keep the iron moving over the hair at all times. Never allow the iron to rest on any one part or you will fry the area

Source; http://www.cosmeticscop.com/perfectly-straight-hair-ceramic-gold-chrome-flat-irons.aspx

I used to work in a store when 'Wet 2 Straight' straightening irons were launched . In-store demonstrations by reps for the brand were banned by the (very large high street chemists) company I worked for because they were being held liable for women demanding pay-outs because their hair was fried during the demonstration.

I saw one woman's hair and it wasn't a pleasant sight. I remember my store manager literally handing this woman cash to got to the hairdressers to try and get it fixed.

The end result of going from wet to straight is certainly never 'better' than blow-dyring on a lower heat first - so unless you were so busy you didn't have time to dry it first I can't see the point.

potatosalad said:
I had no idea you were supposed to spray it on then straighten it while your hair was still wet from spraying? Are you supposed to do that?

Dunno. I used one once and it just made my hair feel clumpy, sticky and stiff so didn't again. Ideally I think after you've dried and straightened your hair should still feel clean until you put in styling products afterwards like pastes and waxes.

All I put in before I dry/straighten is frizz-ease serum while it's still damp. Makes it more shiny, smooth, manageable etc once it's dry.

he/him
My hair routine is a real pain in the arse, and the main reason that I'm up at 6am every morning.

It involves...

- Shampoo (Every other day. Dry shampoo is your friend, folks.) + Conditioner (I use this everyday, though for no real reason other than it's a habit I've got)
- Then I have to blow dry. I simply don't have time to let it dry naturally in the mornings, it would take too long, plus, my hair comes out even wavier/curlier. I'll also apply some heat protection product here.
- Straightening. This takes the longest, seeing as I section of my hair bit by bit and apply heat protection too each part just before applying the straighteners.
- Then I style it, which usually takes 5-10 minutes before I'm happy with it, but generally this is the quickest and easiest part of my routine.

My hair isn't even that long, girls must have it so much worse. As for what products I use, well, at the moment I'm using B for Men Shampoo and conditioner as well as the Matte Seperation workable wax by them also (I'm gonna take the time to mention that all the B for Men products smell amazing). Heat protection is just VO5 Heat defence taming spray (It's kinda like hairspray) and my dry shampoo is whatever I pick up, I find most of them are good, but at the moment I have Andrew Barton. For me, straightening my hair is something that has to be done everyday, I just look like a hot mess otherwise, so I try to reduce the damage by not shampooing everyday and only using the dry shampoo if my hair is really gross, which unfortunenately is nearly everyday I don't shampoo anyway. I find using conditioner everday hasn't done my hair any harm, but it obviously doesn't feel as clean as if I had used shampoo, hence the reason I'll still using dry shampoo, which makes it feel nice and look nice.

Also, a quick question, too all those who straighten their hair, what straighteners do you have? I'm using some £20 babyliss straighteners, but I'm upgrading to GHDs on my birthday. Alot of people say there is no difference, but from my personal experiences I've come to the conclusion they work so much better. So, the questions are, what straighteners do you have and do you think GHDs are nothing special?

What I'd do is wash your hair every other day, angelX. That way it doesn't get too greasy but at the same time you don't dry it out. It worked for me and I have the shittiest, "leifless" hair of ALL TIME. I don't mind it being ash blonde, but it's too bloody thick, even though whenever I have it cut (about every 4 weeks) I have it thinned out too!

P

potatosalad

I've had my GHDs for a few years, still working as good as the first time I used them!

I'm maybe gonna purchase a set of mini 'Cloud 9' straighteners soon. The girl who does my hair told me they're from the guy who invented GHDs but he left that company and started up a new one. Plus they seem to be cheaper than GHDs as well...

Hair! Finally a topic I'm well-versed in.

First off, I wash my hair every day. They key is to use a great every day conditioner after shampooing and then doing a once a week deep condition. I use all L'Oreal products since I'm the face of one of their lines but they're high quality shampoos, conditioners, and products. They really are. At this point, it would take something amazing for me to break away from them product-wise.

I do wait till my hair is dry before straightening it. I work with so many hair stylists that I usually just mimic what they do and I've never had one straighten it while it was wet or damp.

As far as coloring... no clue. I've never dyed my hair before outside of a few low-lights a few months ago for a shoot. But it was literally just 4 small sections and it was a washout dye.

Here's a few... last two my sister in law took when she saw them at a salon she was at.
untitled99.jpg

untitled7.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled.jpg

2625che.jpg

vwrib6.jpg

JasmineSpa.jpg

JasmineSpa2.jpg

haha Thanks guys. Here's some behind the scene stuff we snapped during one of those shoots. Loved that afro wig!
2335.jpg

2334.jpg

2336.jpg

2337.jpg

It is interesting to me how "regional" hair is. When I work in London a lot of the designers want curly hair on me. Same for when I spent October-December in South Africa. In fact, I did an editorial for a big South African fashion mag and they didn't use any of the photos of me with straight hair and only went for the teased out, "ethnic" hair.

But in the US it's almost always straight hair.

Proper stunning. Your surely the best looking person to ever post on here EVER.

Hair carries loads of regional/cultural/racial connotations. Even within Western Europe there are distinct differences in how hair care products are marketed from country to country.

P

potatosalad

MistressMaven, I think you look a bit like Alesha Dixon in this one!

JasmineSpa.jpg