Hair [General Discussion/ Q&A/ Whatever]

he/him
Karen Gillan has the most amazing hair.

I just found my post on page 2 asking about GHDs and whether or not they were worth a purchase. I got them for my birthday in Febuary and they are the best birthday present I have ever got. Straightening my hair takes so much less time with them and they give better, less frizzy results.

Anyone want to recommend me a instenive weekly conditioner/hair masque? I was using Lee Stafford Poker Straight but I don't think it was doing too much.

he/him
I love my hair but it looks "fluffy", like it's full of static, haha. Is there anything I can do to lessen the static look?

My hair's quite longish so I have to wash it a lot or it starts to feel all manky. I used to dye it quite a bit too, but I haven't done that in ages. I was worried I was asking for it all to fall out.

So, quick question:

My hair is curly, but it grows upwards:

f3uic3.jpg

(I'm the guy)

Is there any way (other than getting a perm) that I can get rid of my terrible curls (they're especially a problem in the back)? I comb it back (like I would be slicking it back), and that gets makes the curls less extreme, but it makes my hair get really frizzy which is just as bad.

Strighteners are the only thing I can reccomend. You can get some that are extra thin for very short hair like yours. My housemate had curly hair and he used them all the time, his hair looked pretty good in general.

My hairs like that, the only option I have to keep it short, and straighten it when it gets to a longer length.
You need some decent straighteners to make it worth while though, I had some shit ones to start off with and it'd just go back to being wavy after a few hours...

Strong wax / putty to style after straightening is a must also.

I'm very fortunate to have a great, thick, head of hair. I just got it cut today and it's lookin' pretty fine if I do say so myself! Haha.

I have to get it cut like, every 3 or 4 weeks or it will get too messy.

If you're the age where you have to ask your parents for permission to dye your hair, congratulations, you're also the same age for when you should do the exact opposite of what your parents tells you to do!

I've never understood that attitude from parents. I may just be lucky with mine, but I can't imagine ever not being allowed to dye my hair when I hit the teenage years (which I presume Roxie and Bovvered are). I mean, as long as it's done professionally in a salon, why not?

My brothers dyed their hair pink in their teens, so I guess when I wanted to do mine black that one time it wasn't really the struggle with them I had half expected it to be.

My sister used me and my younger brother as testers for red hair dye once to see how the colour would turn out. Her logic was flawed in that she has jet black hair while at the time, me and my brother were blond. He ended up with pink hair and I got a lovely shade of maroon. My mother went ballistic.

I used to dye my hair all the time so much that my mum eventually told me off for doing it and told me to stop it. So one day whilst she as out, i thought i'd dye it. Unfortunately as i was in the process of applying the dye in the bathroom, I heard her come in the house, panicked and somehow managed to throw the hair dye all over the white wooden bathroom door, thus putting purple stains all over it. She then had to get all the doors in the house repainted.

airhostess said:
I used to dye my hair all the time so much that my mum eventually told me off for doing it and told me to stop it. So one day whilst she as out, i thought i'd dye it. Unfortunately as i was in the process of applying the dye in the bathroom, I heard her come in the house, panicked and somehow managed to throw the hair dye all over the white wooden bathroom door, thus putting purple stains all over it. She then had to get all the doors in the house repainted.
Hahhah! Love it!

I remember about a year ago I tried to dye my hair blonde with one of those do-it-yourself kits. It turned my hair ginger, queue the constant "why did you dye your hair ginger?" from everyone at school!

My mum has always been very helpful in dying my hair. When I was about 16 I decided to dye it black with a couple of blue streaks (Rihanna's exact hair from 'Shut Up and Drive', but about 4 years before that), which my sister-in-law did for me and my mum loved it. Then, when I decided I wanted to go bright red she helped me bleach it and it went completely mental so she took me to get it done properly. It was great fun, I always liked that she was helping me rather than trying to stop me.

I have the curliest head of hair EVER, it is the bane of my life.
I've had it 'straight-permed' two or three times (yes yes, I know, terrible blah blah) but my hair is still in pretty good condition I'd say.
I also straighten it every day although recently I got it cut shorter and I want to wear it not poker straight but not naturally curly, so I straighten it and then scoosh it with a bit of water to give it a wave. NEVER works.
Also I should have a padded cell for when I come home from the hairdressers, like last time I honestly had a fit at home and threw things around. But I can never say things to her when I'm there because she's really nice and I'd feel horrible.
I would quite like to dye my hair a lighter shade of brown (it's really dark brown) and maybe get highlights in a slightly lighter shade too, just to give it a 'sun-dyed' kind of look, but I'm paranoid that it wouldn't work because I always end up thinking my hair is too short or too long or too something-or-other.