Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power | Page 59 | The Popjustice Forum

Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by RMK, May 24, 2021.

1. RMK

RMK

Slow start, but I feel like most of her singles are growers. She also always performs better in the US, which tracks here - it debuted at #21.

GimmeWork likes this.
  2. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Wow So Good just erases everything that was interesting about them through the whole If I Can’t Have Love era.

3. I always viewed If I Can't Have Love I Want Power has a once in a career type statement for Halsey - it was, without a doubt, the best music she ever made and was clearly supposed to change her trajectory into a serious, albums-focused prestige act. That obviously didn't work, so we're back to the pop bops, which I'm up for! I actually really appreciate the simplicity of the lyrics and how Max builds the production so quietly throughout until that last explosion.

poshbabyyy and huntypoo like this.
  4. I've always viewed her as more of an albums artist, and I don't know that I've heard enough from the upcoming album to say whether or not that will continue.

5. I love the song and video.

enjoy, huntypoo, suitechicguy and 4 others like this.
  6. Yeah, I think both are great. I get why people might be disappointed that Halsey isn’t leaning in or sticking with the darker rock influenced vibe, but I also think she was generally in a darker space between being in the pandemic and having a body that was changing during a first pregnancy, which brought up a lot of negative thoughts for her. I’m sure we’ll get some “3am” and “Honey” vibes on the LP, especially since that sound is in right now, so I’m not really worried about missing the pop-punk aspect.

Wishlight, LGStan93, huntypoo and 7 others like this.
  7. Saw her last weekend at Gov Ball and I thought it was cool that she managed to bring all of her tour gear to the festival, and make it feel like her own show, she’s a great live performer and artist. With that being said, there is something so annoying about her, I don’t know if it’s the fact that she comes across as inauthentic sometimes or her lack of self-awareness (ie: the whole tiktok tantrum), but her crowd is also an annoying one too.

jackangelo and Cordyceps like this.
  8. [​IMG]

is one of the artists featured in the

QUIRKY POP RATE: EVOLUTION

Do you enjoy

• good music?
    • pitting PJ faves against each other?
    • mess?

If yes, then make sure to participate!

Music Is Death likes this.
  9. Top 80 ddd

tea, Wishlight, Someboy and 19 others like this.
  10. RMK

RMK

Not everybody has that.

11. Capitol honey, i'm so sorry… ddd

But honestly, the song is really good, but maybe is not the right time for it in some way… after a few listens I forget about it, but still remains a cute bop

12. All that drama for 80

Wishlight, Mr.Arroz, Verandi and 7 others like this.
  13. Maria calls me and she says she's getting married
    She asks me if there's any extra weight I carry

[​IMG]

superultra, Serg., Diet Pop! and 5 others like this.
  14. I still can't believe all of the drama and shenanigans was over...this. It's a cute song, but I don't see anything here that was worth all the histrionics.

15. I have to admit I haven't really returned to So Good much. It is a lovely song, but this supposedly being Halsey's new pop era warranted a more in your face lead single, not something that could pass for a Manic album track. Though at the same time it does sound like the type of song that could become a slow burn hit, do well on radio etc. Hope whatever's next is more exciting regardless.

16. I haven’t played “So Good” a lot outside of watching the music video pretty frequently, mainly because I’m not really someone who listens to singles often like that. But I really love it. She’s obviously aware of the sort of space it holds in her discography, since even she compared it to a Manic track sonically.

poshbabyyy, GimmeWork and nooniebao like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.