Halsey - Manic | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Halsey - Manic

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sanctuary, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

After hearing Colors on iTunes radio, I decided to give this album a listen and I was expecting to be a lot more cynical about it. It's pretty good and I could see myself getting a decent amount of plays out of it. Roman Holiday, Ghost, and Haunting are very good and Colors is actually fantastic, even with it's "suddenly I was a l i l a c s k y" middle 8. I had it on repeat all afternoon. New Americana is still offensively bad, though.

Do you have a link to this? I tried searching but all I could find were acoustic tumblr covers.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Music Is Death, Island and Mr.Arroz like this.
  2. Colors is pretty good. It sounds like a Swift/Tegan and Sara hybrid.

That video of her telling the crowd radio is too fucking scared to play her song is adorable. I hate people like this.

mayhuee likes this.
  3. Island

Island Staff Member

I found it on one of the torrent sites. I thought it was the studio w/ the production and all, but it was very stripped and emotive and quite lovely.

Subwaykid likes this.
  4. I am using and abusing Colours, which is quite fantastic, but am wary about venturing any further.

Music Is Death, Island and Subwaykid like this.
  5. I've decided I quite like this album. The issue is her everything else. New Americana is still trash though.

Music Is Death and Island like this.
  6. Just like American radio, eh? Fascist pig.

7. I don't think there's an actual studio version of her doing it as a ballad. If you're listening to one, it's probably a cover that got spread as her, but isn't actually her. Or a good quality audio of her doing it live.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  8. She's from New Jersey and yet there's some vague EuroBritishpia accent happening?

New Americana sounds A LOT like a Natalia Kills song. Thats not a compliment either. She actually sounds quite a bit like Natalia period. Or excuse me- Teddy.

I just finished the whole album. Its fine. I liked it well enough but I don't care about hearing anything from it again. Its nothing new. Its a little Tegan and Sara, a shade or two of Ellie Goulding.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  9. She's from Warren County and also spent time growing up in Brooklyn, her accent (though I don't hear any, as someone from New Jersey myself?) is going to be a mesh of Pennsylvania, North Jersey and New York. She'd never have a typical "Jersey accent" living where she does.

10. I enjoy this album... an amalgamation of sounds such as MS MR, Purity Ring, Ellie Goulding and Grimes. Colors, Haunting, Ghost... all great. I don't even mind New Americana, unlike everyone else it seems!

11. I'm totally new to her and upon a first listen I think her album is great, What's so bad about her as a person? someone bring me up to speed.

12. She is self-important and has lofty ideas about herself and her music. This is irksome to many.

Music Is Death likes this.
  13. Island

Island Staff Member

Call her Teddy. Call her Natalia. As long as you call.

14. [​IMG]

15. I understand her concept behind New Americana but god damn her writing is so weak in the chorus. She mentions Biggie and Nirvana too much. I still feel like Badlands is very cohesive and a solid pop album. Obviously I'm eating up Colors. Haunting and Ghost also get a heavy rotation from me. One thing I find weird is that the melodies/production is pretty swell across the board but the writing is what drags most of the record down. Some of it is so gaudy (obviously in the writing.

I feel like she has the potential to become a new generation Pink. Which would be a horrid train wreck.

16. I'm honestly not that bothered by New Americana. Yes, a lot of what the song's lyrics include have been done to death, but I don't think that warrants a lot of the hate it's getting... She makes up for it with the anthems that are Colours and Roman Holiday.
    Castle, Drive, Haunting and Gasoline are my top four from the album.

17. I was blaring "Ghost" in my car with a friend and during the chorus I pointed out the buzzing synth that pulses when she pauses and my friend was like "oh my god I never would have noticed that without you telling me!" Reinforcing that the song is great and bumpin.

18. Colors, Drive, Castle, Ghost, Hurricane, Roman Holiday are all great. Seems the people who hate her are the same who should also hate Chris Brown, Kanye, etc for attitude alone yet these artists are still successful, therefore not too far off to see how Halsey can make some coins too.

19. One of my friends (who's usually quite on the nose with these things so I'm a bit disappointed) is obsessed with her and I've been using Young God quite a bit.

Island likes this.
  20. This mashup of Gasoline and Marina's Savages is pretty great

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.