Harry Potter and the Transphobic Author | Page 119 | The Popjustice Forum

Harry Potter and the Transphobic Author

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sam, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ive been thinking about how I feel about retreading the books or watching the films now after everything and... honestly these books give me such a connection to my mother (died when I was 18, used to read the new books after I finished then we’d discuss them) that I feel so betrayed by Joanne now that she has tainted those memories.

Reading these books won’t ever be the same but that connection with those books and the memories they conjure up, I don’t know if I can walk away. Why should her hatred do that as well? I have no problem letting everyone know she’s a transphobe and what she’s really like now (probably always has been?) but way too many of my young precious to me memories are tied up into this book series.

Though I’m in my 30s now and I know how ridiculous this is going to sound, but it almost feels like that feeling when you lose faith in an adult/parent... growing up, she was supposed to be one of the good ones?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    ohaimanabu, Sam, Robert and 4 others like this.
  2. I just read her novella To Be Taught If Fortunate and it was fantastic, with queer and trans representation too.

Smooth Criminal likes this.
  3. Oop - she has.

Obviously this still isn't quite good enough but at least he's not so far down the TERF rabbit hole he refuses to see any reason from his children.

The fact that she's a body positivity activist already puts her a world away from her father who, at the age of 45, bullied a 19 year old Kelly Osbourne about her weight to the point that she had a near mental breakdown.

4. that was a beautiful note.

Transgender women are women. Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional health care associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than either Jo or I. According to The Trevor Project, 78% of transgender and nonbinary youth reported being the subject of discrimination due to their gender identity. It’s clear that we need to do more to support transgender and nonbinary people, not invalidate their identities, and not cause further harm.

To all the people who now feel that their experience of the books has been tarnished or diminished, I am deeply sorry for the pain these comments have caused you. I really hope that you don’t entirely lose what was valuable in these stories to you. If these books taught you that love is the strongest force in the universe, capable of overcoming anything; if they taught you that strength is found in diversity, and that dogmatic ideas of pureness lead to the oppression of vulnerable groups; if you believe that a particular character is trans, nonbinary, or gender fluid, or that they are gay or bisexual; if you found anything in these stories that resonated with you and helped you at any time in your life — then that is between you and the book that you read, and it is sacred. And in my opinion nobody can touch that. It means to you what it means to you and I hope that these comments will not taint that too much.

Love always,
    Dan

5. That's a lovely note and I found that last paragraph very moving.

6. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

It’s so vindicating to see the vast majority of people just going “girl don’t even try it” to this particular tirade of hers. She really pushed her luck too far by doing it now of all times.

7. Daniel Radcliffe is a lovely guy.

8. I love how Dan Radcliffe made 50 million quid from Harry Potter and then absolutely dipped out of Hollywood only reappearing every few years with some weird ass movie. And now he’s the first member to speak up against Joanne. That’s my King!

9. Thanks for all the book recommendations by the way!

10. I watched a movie a few months ago where he played a farting corpse. You know how in Castaway, Tom Hanks made friends with a Wilson volleyball? In this movie, the guy made friends with Daniel Radcliffe's corpse that washed up on the island.

11. Also not YA or fiction but maybe same interest, I can't recommend this enough:

[​IMG]

12. I'm so pleasantly surprised he's the first of the main cast to speak up. (I didn't know he's done so much work with The Trevor Project). I mean Harry Effing Potter himself. Surely Hermione won't be far behind...

13. "Well bless my soul, it's Harry Potter!"

14. This painfully polite burn is every bit as satisfying as I wanted.

15. I'm not the biggest expert on HP and maybe I'm making this up, but didn't miss JK basically shame one of the actors for posing shirtless a few years ago? I feel like it's something that happened but Google is not helping me.

Verandi likes this.
  17. If I remember she made a joke when Matthew Lewis did a spread in Attitude magazine, I don't think it was shaming though (unless I'm thinking of something else).

sugarcoma and Verandi like this.
  18. What a lovely human Daniel is.

19. Sam

Sam

I’m so glad he said that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.