Hatchie - Giving the World Away

Gotta take a second to swoon.

I’ve stanned Hatchie for about a year and I just have to say how THRILLING it was to find her. I’ve spent years dipping toe into the indie pool, and maybe I was looking in the wrong places. But I’ve NEVER found an indie pop/rocker whose work was as melodic and rich and big and polished as Hatchie’s. She sets a standard - for me - of what’s out there. And I want to find more of it.

he/him
Gotta take a second to swoon.

I’ve stanned Hatchie for about a year and I just have to say how THRILLING it was to find her. I’ve spent years dipping toe into the indie pool, and maybe I was looking in the wrong places. But I’ve NEVER found an indie pop/rocker whose work was as melodic and rich and big and polished as Hatchie’s. She sets a standard - for me - of what’s out there. And I want to find more of it.
Her Patreon is worth looking into. She's been posting a cover/demo/unreleased song a month since it started two-ish years ago, and the selections have been great.

she/they
I just listened to Giving the World Away for the first time after having it on my "albums to listen to" playlist for ages, and I'm blown away. Still trying to form cohesive thoughts around my first-listen experience, but I lowkey keep coming back to "Quicksand."

I might earn some lashings for this, but the chorus melody is so Taylor Swift but executed with way more finesse. It's something very 1989 about it in my ears.

I really am picking up on those trip-hop, new wave, shoegaze vibes mentioned on previous pages, as well as shades of Tears for Fears, Goldfrapp, Sky Ferreira, Kitten, MUNA, and other sonic references that beckon me like queer catnip.

This album is a gorgeous assortment of sounds. I can't wait to nosedive.mp3 into her previous releases, as well as keep my eyes on this thread for whatever she does next.

EDIT: DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE THIS HAD A DELUXE EDITION, BUT "NOSEDIVE" AND "CAST ASIDE" ARE SCRATCHING AN ITCH IN MY BRAIN I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW NEEDED SCRATCHING.

Last edited:
I stumbled across This Enchanted on Spotify a few weeks ago and became obsessed with it. I impulsively ordered the Giving The World Away vinyl (the shiny cover!!) after not hearing the rest album and I'm spinning it now and I'm a wee bitsty obsessed. It's been a while since I've heard a new album that's as well produced and cohesive as this one. She scratches that sweet spot in my brain in-between noisy scuzzy shoe-gaze and big pop melodies that I just die for.

I'm getting shades of Ferreira. Obviously a huge compliment coming from me.