Haunting on Hill House (Netflix) | The Popjustice Forum

Haunting on Hill House (Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by wickedbruv, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Has anyone else been watching? It's a bit of a slow burn and wasn't particularly scary until I started watching with headphones on. The sound effects and music really ramp up the tension.

I have just finished the Nell episode (titled Bent-Neck-Lady) and
    it was simultaneously beautiful/horrifying/upsetting seeing her so happy with her family, then committing suicide, then becoming the Bent-Neck-Lady herself. It was very obvious looking back but I didn't see it coming at all.

LPT likes this.
  2. MB

MB

Just on episode 4. It’s good but as you say a slow burner. A few jumpy moments, my housemate who I’m watching this with bricks it at least once an episode!

3. I like it a lot. I like how it's as much a family drama as it is a horror series but the horror moments are classy and well done.

Seanie likes this.
  4. TFW you start noticing the ghosts in soft focus just chilling in the background of otherwise completely innocuous scenes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. We started watching this last night. Quickly watched the first four episodes, but would happily have continued to binge had we not had work today.

I agree, it feels like a bit of a slow burn, presumably with the scares building up... I really can't wait to watch more.

6. Finished it today. Absolutely adored it. The finale had me crying in so many different parts.

There are so many small touches that make it a truly amazing show. I think my favourite character was their mother, Olivia. The actress played her so well

sfmartin and Mikal like this.
  7. Just made it through the first episode and I'm dreading going forward. It's so beautifully filmed and great to watch but every time it's dark and suspenseful the flatmate and I are screaming our heads off.

8. This show is so tense!! I just finished the sixth episode and I am shaking. I love that I care about what happens to these characters. I feel such empathy for them and what they're going through and that makes the scares all the more scary and impactful.

Red Coat likes this.
  9. I found it boring to be honest.

The Holy Spearit likes this.
  10. Put some 'respeck on that name sis, that's Ms Carla Gugino.

11. I finished it over the weekend and loved it, mostly.

I hated the finale as I feel it undid a lot of the progress the later episodes were building. It also felt rushed considering all the time they had to flesh it out.

12. I'm mid-way through episode 2 and loving it so far. Very engrossing.

13. I loved the combination of family drama and horror. I couldn't stop watching, even though I have to agree that it's a slow burn.
    when the old man came to collect his hat in little Luke's bedroom. I could barely handle that scene. I get scared quite easily though.

Bangers&Bops likes this.
  14. The scariest part to me was when Theo and Shirley were arguing in the car and Nell screamed in between them. I literally almost pissed my pants.

15. ^ I second that one! The palpitations I experienced after that lasted a long time.

16. Uno

Uno

I haven’t seen it yet, but I read a review saying that viewers were vomiting and running out of the room out of fear because of this TV show.

That sounds a bit ridiculous.

Judy Jetson Hooker, TMI and mcuk like this.
  17. Yes, but exaclty how many horror movies have they said this about?

18. Episode 6, The Storm is absolutely amazing.

The opening scene is like 10+ mins, no cuts.

It is ridiculous, I've 4 episodes to go and I can't see how it'd get that scary - is anything that scary? I guess if you're of a nervous disposition and have a really weak stomach. But in that case, why would you be watching to the end?

19. Has anyone read the book by Shirley Jackson? It's mostly different, but I appreciate that I don't know what's going to happen on the TV show. If you haven't read the book, do it as soon as possible. This is the perfect month for it. Also, the opening paragraph is also one of the great opening paragraphs in literature. You can read it below.

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  20. Wow, this is a lot better than I was expecting. I love the ghost designs. Also, Oliver Jackson-Cohen is to die for and has me completely invested in his boring storyline... The power of being eight feet tall and having a symmetrical face, I guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.