He-Man and She-Ra (Netflix cast revealed) | The Popjustice Forum

He-Man and She-Ra (Netflix cast revealed)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Tribal Spaceman, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

With new movies and TV shows in development I figured the most iconic pair of 80s siblings this side of The Reynolds Girls deserved their own thread. (Indulge me, I'm quite the fan.)
    [​IMG]
    The Masters of the Universe toyline launched in 1982, with the meme-spawning Filmation animated series following a year later. Original comics and story books established the cast of characters as a cross between Conan the Barbarian and Star Wars, with the animated series adding a Clark Kent-esque secret identity and a further fleshed out backstory. The show revolved around mild-mannered Prince Adam as the son of an alien king and an astronaut from Earth, living a dual life as He-Man, the Most Powerful Man in the Universe. He and his colourful friends defended the planet from future gay icon Skeletor and his Evil Warriors, each with their own exciting action feature.
    [​IMG]
    In 1985 the series was retconned with the launch of She-Ra: Princess of Power, which revealed that Adam was actually a twin. His sister Adora was kidnapped by Skeletor's mentor Hordak as a baby and raised to be evil (yeah, that old chestnut) on the far-off world of Etheria. She-Ra's series was always more interesting to me, as she lived on a world where the Evil Horde ruled with an iron fist, with most citizens of the planet living in slavery and a Great Rebellion made up mostly of women in neon leotards being their only chance of freedom.
    [​IMG]
    Other incarnations of the saga include a 1987 live-action film starring Dolph Lungdren and a fresh-faced Courtney Cox, a short-lived 1990 spinoff which sent He-Man and Skeletor into the far future, a 2002 reboot which revealed Skeletor was actually Prince Adam's demon-possessed uncle, and a recent comic book series from DC which took elements from all of the above and added a sizeable dose of Game of Thrones grit.
    [​IMG]
    A new live-action He-Man movie has supposedly been in development since the turn of the millennium, so goodness knows if it will ever happen. Apparently the success of Wonder Woman has meant studios are dusting off old She-Ra scripts, so it is likely that she will hit the big screen before her brother. Dreamworks have a Princess of Power animated series in development, but complicated rights issues mean she may end up a completely separate brand to her brother, which sucks. I hope they are able to sort things out.
    [​IMG]

acl and (deleted member) like this.
  2. I'm Hordak's #1 Fan.

rav4boy and Tribal Spaceman like this.
  3. The recent comics where Force Captain Adora was a lethal killing machine that took a long, long time to become She Ra are incredible.

4. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I loved that. It's a shame the follow up standalone She-Ra comic never happened, they planned to show her joining the Great Rebellion and having to earn the trust of the very people she had been fighting only months earlier. It would have been brilliant.

I hated the way they had her killing Flutterina in cold blood though. It reeked of writers having no respect for the source material, especially considering it was the first and only time the character had been seen in the comics.

rav4boy and RHOPJ like this.
  5. I'm interested in this, I loved the cartoon series from maybe 10 or 15 years ago?
    I always watched it when I could, I'm not sure if it ever ended properly or if it got cancelled?

6. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

The 200X series ended abruptly after two seasons I believe, with a few comics attempting to tie things up.

There are graphic novels out there if you'd like to enjoy further adventures.

7. The plans they had for Hordak were immense

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  8. Hordak was tough as fuck in the new series. He kills a minion for giving him good advice!

rav4boy and Tribal Spaceman like this.
  9. I remember having such a crush on Dolph Lundgren and wanting to be Courtney Cox in the late '80s.

I must have watched that movie about 50 times, I think.

rav4boy likes this.
  10. My Castle Grayskull was probably my favourite toy ever.

11. The only reboot I'll accept

12. So a friend of mine showed me a bit of a She-Ra themed adult movie. So weird.

13. I had some of the She-Ra dolls when I was younger, looking at this picture I definitely had She-Ra, Glimmer, Frosta, Catra and Peekablue but I went through a phase aged around 10 where I cut all my dolls hair off and they got thrown away. Furious at my younger self now of course.
    [​IMG]

DoggySwami, Holly Something and He like this.
  14. He

He

She-ra was my most prized toy as a kid. It was the closest I ever got to the Barbies I wanted.

15. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

Until the end of last year I had a Masters of the Universe Classics subscription with Mattel and would receive one or two action figures (plus the occasional beast or vehicle) each month, featuring pretty much every He-Man and She-Ra character ever. They've now slipped down to occasional four figure sets but I'm still collecting. As soon as I finish renovating I'm going to put them all in display cases. I've avoided so many adult collectibles over the years but this was one thing I had to have
    [​IMG]

Bookwormboy, Alenko, Macsun and 4 others like this.
  16. #TeamCatra for me.

17. That film really isn't that terrible (apart from Dolph's acting), and the theme for the cosmic key is awesome.

Remorque and RHOPJ like this.
  18. The Evil Horde seemed more capable than the others.

Holly Something likes this.
  19. Shadow Weaver was far more badass than Hordak.

GazWilliams and Holly Something like this.
  20. I love Shadow Weaver too!

rav4boy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.