He-Man and She-Ra (Netflix cast revealed) | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

He-Man and She-Ra (Netflix cast revealed)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Tribal Spaceman, Jun 14, 2017.

1. I actually really like it. Much better than I was expecting.

Holly Something likes this.
  2. I'm 6 episodes in and it just feels like such a dog turd compared to the original. I can't watch anymore.

3. He

He

I really don’t think the original is very good. I just liked the Barbie aesthetics.

This new show is cute and definitely for children. The story is quite simple, and the characterization doesn’t have the depth of something like Steven Universe, when it could. But it’s entertaining.

4. That's fair but for me, if I break it down

Animation - the original was way better, okay maybe the backgrounds and scenery in the new one are stronger but the character animation in the original was great.
    Story telling - the original felt like it had more mythology, being linked to the He-Man universe, and it felt a lot darker and unsettling in some places. In the new one, it's like everything is very tongue in cheek or comededic.
    Characters - I loved She-ra and Adora in the original. In this one, there's just nothing likeable about her. It's the same for the other characters too. I guess in this new version they've at least made a Glimmer more curvy, which is nice. Having Heather from Crazy Ex Girlfriend voice Mermista was a choice though....
    The villains - Just Shadow Weavers voice alone in the original made me shit my pants. But this new version is not creepy at all. Even Hordak looks wet.

It's a no from me. Sadly.

_Gru_ likes this.
  5. He

He

That's fair, but undoubtedly nostalgia plays a huge part.

The animation in the original show is totally stiff, very of its time of course, but still not good.

I do think they weren't sure if to make the new one it light hearted or dark, so it missed the mark. But I just wasn't expecting a lot in the storytelling side, since there is really not much in the original either (everything was simple).

Again, both kids shows, I just wish this new incarnation had a bit more depth.

6. I love the original and it’s cheesy messages throughout also love the animation, stories and effort that was put into it. Shadow Weaver still makes me shudder. I remember watching The Secret of the Sword dozens of times as a kid.

This version is just charmless.

Some cartoons belong in the 80s like this and Thundercats. Please never remake my all time fave Dungeons and Dragons.

7. I’m still sore that D&D never got a proper finale!

I’ll definitely keep watching this, the dynamic between Catra and Adora is interesting.

_Gru_ likes this.
  8. Yes Requiem

Have you read the script online? Sounded so good.

9. Yeah, love it

10. I finished this earlier today and it gets better as it progresses.

I’m still not completely sold on the animation but I understand why they went for it. It’s not aimed at us adults.

After finishing this, I decided to watch an episode of the original and honestly, what the fuck? The Horde had captured Perfuma and rather than escape, she decided to skip around the fright zone plonking flowers everywhere including inside Hordak’s canon arm all while talking like a baby.

11. I'm on episode four and I kind of love it (even though it feels simplistic for the sake of, some nuance wouldn't kill them) but my main issue is that fucking theme song. Who thought it was a good idea? Heinous.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  12. I gave up but I appreciate what they were trying to achieve. I'm sure others will love it but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

13. It really sucks that there is a reboot of one or my favorites in 2018 and I don't like it. My sister introduced me to the show as a kid an I inherited some of her toys and have always loved the characters but there's very little She-Ra in this She-Ra.

They could have done something very positive and uplifting with this show and played on people's perceptions of identity and acceptance but the flat character designs make all the female characters look very masculine and generic. She-Ra herself is more like Ben Ten in hot pants and the larger, curvier characters are in horrid outfits which make them look like the comic relief instead of princesses and warriors. That is not v empowering.

I'm a grown ass woman and didn't expect this new show to cater to me but i thought there would be something for the older fans like there was in the last versions of Teenage Ninja Turtles and Thunder Cats. The writer admitted she wasn't a big fan of the original and it shows.

14. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

Super7 (under licence from Mattel) are releasing action figures based on the 1987 movie. Previously only Gwildor, Saurod, Blade and Karg had been released as toys due to complicated rights issues, but a big-screen version of He-Man and two versions of Frank Langella's Skeletor are coming later this year, along with a repaint of Karg in different colours.

A 12" Starburst She-Ra doll is also being released. Fans of brushable hair rejoice.

He, Alenko and Maggie's Myth like this.
  15. Loving the 2nd season. It’s a lot funnier and the characters are more fleshed out. Ended on a cliff hanger which annoyed me. But I hope it gets renewed.

16. They've already produced all the episodes in advance and are splitting them into four seasons I believe.

17. It's a no from me too.

18. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

Continuing this here as opposed to the Charlie's Angels thread.
    I agree. Since the 80s movie starring Dolph Lundgren there have been further cartoons, comics and stories written which have fleshed out the characters and worlds of Masters of the Universe so I hope we're getting a bright, fun adventure. I'm not pinning my hopes on it though.

Maggie's Myth and tastic like this.
  19. The movie is either gonna be incredible or an abomination.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  20. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

A new He-Man and the Masters of the Universe animated series is coming to Netflix at a yet undisclosed date.

Netflix is working with filmmaker Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats) to create a He-Man limited anime series entitled Masters of the Universe: Revelation. Smith, who'll serve as the project's showrunner and executive producer, has unveiled the new show at the annual Power-Con convention celebrating Eternia's super siblings. Unlike Netflix's She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, which is a reboot of the 1980's Masters of the Universe spinoff featuring He-Man's sister, Revelation will pick up where the original animated show left off.

Macsun and Holly Something like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.