Heartstopper (Renewed for 2 more seasons!) | Page 17 | The Popjustice Forum

Heartstopper (Renewed for 2 more seasons!)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Sick Sad World, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Thank you both, and everyone for the 'likes.' It's clear from this wonderful thread that this lil show is evocative for so many of us in so many ways, which is credit to everyone involved in creating it, and while this wasn't available to me in my teens, I feel blessed to be living in a time when it does exist.

I sort of understand comparison's to the likes of Euphoria and Love, Simon & Love, Victor but to my mind the similarities are quite limited. Heartstopper is in a field of it's own as exceptional and quietly revolutionary telly. As I said previously, the closest I've seen to this was Beautiful Thing back in the 90's which remains one of my all time favourite films, but wasn't impactful in the way Heartstopper is, personally or socially.

I can relate to the melacholia some have noted in regards what could have been, but I'm also mindful of the way that our world can turn on a sixpence, and have to hope that 30 years from now we've continued to evolve positively. So many signs of the world we live in right now are that Heartstopper may be looked at in decades to come as part of the peak of a time of so-called 'tolerance' (not a fan of the word) or celebrating diversity, so it's re-energized and re-focused my attention to the fight for freedom, empowerment and celebrating difference - a fight that is as important now as its ever been. I didn't choose the responsibility of representing, but represent I will, in everything that I do.

2. Don't think the media embed thing works for podcasts... this one discusses how important Heartstopper is.

Pride & Progress
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/5nFxyACISZsJwOVQJs8L8Q?si=94d601e7fa664230

The last 5 minutes... the one guy says something like 'it was hopeful and hurtful - most queer people waste their 20s holding hope for a better past' which kinda goes with some of the feeling in this thread.

3. Got my ticket to see Chvrches next month on the 13th. Can’t wait to have a full emotional breakdown in the middle of the crowd during “Clearest Blue”!

Remorque, He, man.tis.shrimp and 2 others like this.
  4. He

He

Collective make out sesh!

Andrew likes this.
  5. Just listening to this podcast and how they talk about the show gets me emotional

Someone mentioned about the soaps being our only Heartstopper moments when younger. I still to this day believe my parents manufactured an argument when I was 14 so they could stop me watching Coronation Street the week Todd Grimshaws character had a gay kiss on Canal Street. Because as I mentioned a couple of pages back I was a shy hermit as a teen just watching soaps etc hating myself with parents with old fashioned views and they couldn’t punish me by stopping me going out and I’m sure that week they created an argument so I couldn’t be exposed to coronation street episodes. I can’t be 100% sure without a time machine but little things like this my parents would do and I could properly think of more examples if I think hard enough. They seem like minor things at the time but when I think back these things get me so angry especially when you see such a positive uplifting safe space/world a show like Heartstopper portrays.

I try to tell myself to stop holding onto so much bitterness about something as little as my parents stopping me from watching one of favourite shows at the time for a week. Maybe can get over it now I wrote it down here

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  6. Last weeks viewing figures!

[​IMG]

7. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I have no idea if that is good?
    (But rude that it's not number 1)

Joli Chat, mi|kshake, ItBeats and 2 others like this.
  8. Amazing.
    I had this worry that it was going to drop out the top 10 for some reason. I'm so happy for all involved.

10m of those views have to be just us lot on here, right?

9. He

He

I thought every gay watching it 7 times over, might take it to the top.

10. Top 10 in 54 countries. Swoon.

GimmeWork, ItBeats and phoenix123 like this.
  11. Yes I’m at least 30 of those hours.

I think some gays need to start pulling their weight!

GimmeWork, ItBeats and Mvnl like this.
  12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Well maybe they then should try making a show that doesn't take over a week to recover from!!

Mikey1701 and Whosthatboy122 like this.
  13. but NOT the United States.

Seriously?

#1 in the Czech Republic. Stan.

Mvnl likes this.
  14. Yeh, I did notice that. I wonder why it isn't connecting over there. The accents, some of the terminology?
    I haven't looked into it, but I'm curious how Young Royals did over there... and stuff like Elite/Sex Education.

15. It really can't be overstated how much this show would have meant to me had it been released when I was in high school (2002-2006). We had... Queer as Folk, Brokeback Mountain and Queer Eye. I saw myself in practically none of it. Nick and Charlie feel so much truer to a lot of our own experiences, and I think the reception the show has received highlights that.
    It's funny you say this because I remember thinking these were some of the most easily understood UK accents I've heard in a while!

Island, Sugaboy, Lander and 5 others like this.
  16. Top ten in Saudi Arabia?.??.!,,,!!

top10-tv-saudi-arabia-10-apr-25-may-1-2022.jpeg

17. Not British, but now I'm wondering how something like Derry Girls goes down over there. I know people here in the UK who struggle to understand, especially Claire.

18. It was #10 on the US it’s entire debut weekend but fell out by Monday.

I can’t do all the viewing for my stupid country!

Blue6010, Mikey1701, He and 3 others like this.
  19. Slay rights.

Island likes this.
  20. This is a bit long and YouTube-y, but Rowan basically gives us an essay on Heartstopper and articulates all my thoughts and observations better than I ever could.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.