Hello | The Popjustice Forum

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Heaven on Earth, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Dear Popjustice,

Warning: I am a bit - a.k.a. extremely - awkward at introductions.

So, I guess I'll start with introducing myself. My username is Heaven on Earth - named after the great Britney track - and I love music. I am on a couple different forums, under a different name, but the one issue I constantly face is that they are very rock-centered. I love me some rock, but sometimes I just want to talk about pop, the one genre that seems to garner some major scorn. In fact, I think I've listened to more pop music over the years than I have rock or classical or jazz, my other three favorite musical genres.

I'll start with the very person that sparked my love for music, period, and her name is Britney Spears. I'll never forget the day I heard "...Baby One More Time" for the first time and when the key changed during the last minute, I knew it was a life I couldn't escape from. Now I loved musicals beforehand - I remember watching The Wizard of Oz five times in a row, driving my poor mother bonkers - but I had no interest in music until "...Baby One More Time" came into my life. Soon I discovered other songs like "Oops!... I Did It Again" and "Stronger" that cemented my love for music. To this day, I will find myself referring to Britney as Godney, but that's only because she really did change my life forever.

Nowadays, now that my tastes have seriously diversified, which is one of the greatest blessings I've ever had, some of my favorite artists include, in no random order, Britney, Madonna, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Björk, Dusty Springfield, the Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Al Green, Billie Holiday, and Taylor Swift amongst others, and my favorite composer is Beethoven. My favorite album of all time is Dusty Springfield's divine Dusty in Memphis and her "The Windmills of Your Mind" is my favorite song of all time. My favorite music video of all time is Madonna's "Justify My Love" - what a mind-blowing experience that was! My most recent life-altering experience was when I listened to Mariah Carey's "Dreamlover" and realized what a phenomenal track that was.

Some other hobbies include watching movies and reading books, even though I have been way behind on the latter in recent months. One of my dreams is to travel the world. Every night, I dream of going to Europe, Asia, the Caribbean, Africa, just places I've never been to. I do love looking at paintings and other artwork - or rather, books and Google Images of paintings and other artwork - as evident in my uploading part of a Utamaro ukiyo-e as my avatar.

I have been lurking on Popjustice for the last year - I cannot remember how I discovered this - and it's been something of a ride. I'm still not over the David LaChapelle debacle and do think that Britney and her team were not thinking properly. I do have to warn that I am quite caustic and snarky. But alas, I think this place will serve as a place where I can rave about pop music safely (meaning that I don't have to be so afraid of being looked down on) and this place has already helped me realize that there are plenty of great Kylie tracks outside of Fever, somewhat changing my views about Light Years (still too ridden with ballads!) and Body Language. Oh, and wanna know what the best part of Popjustice is? It's not too completely GIF-heavy and completely filled with Internet slang! Thank you, Mr. Robinson, thank you.

Sincerely,

Heaven on Earth

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.