Help - iPod Won't Sync | The Popjustice Forum

Help - iPod Won't Sync

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by idratherjack, Sep 27, 2010.

1. So I've put off upgrading to the latest iTunes for fear it would mess things up, finally did it and guess what? Yep, it's messed things up!

Not only will it not sync to my iPod now but it has lost over 2000 songs. I've spent the past year and a half putting almost 9000 songs on and making loads of playlists and it's a bit gutting.

All the songs and playlists are still on my iPod but not in the iTunes and I can't get it to sync at all so can't add anything. It does recognise my iPod when I plug it in and it does still charge but it keeps asking me to log in to authenticate my iPod which I do but then the sync doesn't happen.

Is there an easy way to fix this? Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Oh dear. I've no idea how to fix the problem, but I thought you might find a program called Music Rescue helpful. It transfers all the music from your iPod back onto your computer. I used it after my hard drive corrupted and managed to get everything back on iTunes.

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/products/musicrescue/

I thought it might help should the worst happen and you have to wipe your iPod or something.

3. It sounds like you've not saved your most recent iTunes library file? It uses this to re-build your library/playlists when you install a new version. It's happened to me before because I have everything on an external HD, but my iTunes installation files are all on the C drive, so I get my library file from the external HD. That's how I do it anyway... If I don't so that, it creates a new library file which is empty. I learnt the hard way! But I have used software to get the iPod contents back onto my PC once. Took ages and I lost a bit of tagging but it can be done! My advice is to update iTunes ASAP. The longer you leave it, the more damage you can do if it 'goes wrong'. And back up your library!

Oh, and get everything off your iPod and restore it. Then import everything into the new iTunes and when it's looking good, synch your iPod again. Good luck. Fingers crossed for you (it's soul destroying, I know... be strong!). Let us know how you get on!

4. Thanks for the replies. I've never backed up my purchases and this has at least given me a wake up call to do that. I really don't want to wipe my iPod so will try that rescue programme.

5. you can copy all your music from your ipod back to your pc without any software ...

go to control panel and select folder options

click on view and check the show hidden files and folders option

then attach your ipod to your pc and open it like an external drive and copy the music across to a folder on your pc ... the tracks don't have proper names but once you have all the folders from your ipod into the folder on your pc just add that folder and all the track names etc will be on itunes ...

this has worked for me several times when wanting to re-jig an ipod from pc to mac and not lose the music so i copied the contents of the pod to a hard drive ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.