Hipsterjustice | Page 48 | The Popjustice Forum

Hipsterjustice

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Mister Unicorn, May 3, 2014.

1. Wow @LE0Night posting about white witch music, folky ladies and Art School Girlfriend with nary a tag for me! I guess dropping the ball on my rate and sucking all the queer music recs from him just to go full blown mental health crisis and throw my hands up and give up really sours you to a sheep shearer....

alll love! also need to. listen to like, every one's recs cause this thread is a gift

LE0Night and Andy French like this.
  2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]
    Xoxoxox Lemme shut up and listen to good music

LE0Night and Andy French like this.

4. This is out!

Jwentz and Jonathan27 like this.
  6. There's that old saying about how the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting the same result, which also describes my experience with literally anything by Merzbow - for context, a record label I follow on Bandcamp is reissuing some older pieces of his that were previously lost or unreleased, if anyone here is into that (unlikely, but still nn). I think I just have to accept that I can understand his legendary status in extreme, abstract, and noise music, but that doesn't make his work even remotely pleasant to listen to for me.

7. I’ve never really tried with Merzbow but always assumed (maybe wrongly) that “remotely pleasant to listen to” was the opposite of what he was going for.

Andy French likes this.
  8. You’re not wrong! I just for whatever reason am subconsciously determined to find something of his worth...experiencing, I guess nn

hamicle likes this.
  9. Post-rock lovers, Godspeed You! Black Emperor's new album just came out!

It's already been getting some impressive praise in various places, like much more than the previous two albums did which I don't remember even giving a second listen... help. In preparation, I've been revisiting their discography for the first time in WAY too long, and I forgot how much of a rollercoaster Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is. This opener alone is breathtaking.

Looks like I'm ready to be in a post-rock and ambient kick again.

ModeRed, enjoy, Andy French and 2 others like this.
  10. I am loving the new Godspeed! album so far. It feels far more optimistic than their previous material.

Andy French and Crisp X like this.
  11. I have yet to listen to it (I find that I need...several days of preparation before diving into a GYBE! project) but the poem(? prose? free verse?) they shared on Bandcamp with the album release moved me in a way that I wasn't sure was still possible after the last year or so.

enjoy and Crisp X like this.
  12. @Wills recommended me this album I have to share with the lovely people that visit this thread.

This is the solo project's debut release from Dublin producer David Balfe, who is using these songs as an outlet to grieve the loss of his best friend and also music collaborator Paul Curran. I don't think I could do the album's subject justice with my own words so I'm going to quote the artist himself regarding the concept.

This interview goes into more details as well. Musically, you can hear shades of house, UK hip-hop, ambient and the kind of electronic music that relies on sound collages. Recordings of past memories with his late friend are also used as samples throughout the album, which all make for quite a heavy and immersive listen. It really made a strong impression on my first one, and I'm looking forward to set some time aside to revisit it with the lyrics .

Wills, maikos87, aux and 1 other person like this.
  13. A very interesting project, thanks for sharing! Is the outro of You Stayed/To Live the verse of Scared To Be Lonely?

Wills and Crisp X like this.
  14. I'm not sure. There's an article focusing on the samples used on each song, and I don't see any mention of this song.

Wills and aux like this.
  15. I gave it a listen again and I definetely hear the " great at the very start hands on each other" part that Dua sings on Scared to Be Lonely. Even the melody.

Crisp X likes this.

16. [​IMG]

enjoy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.