His Dark Materials (TV Series) | The Popjustice Forum

His Dark Materials (TV Series)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by PopJudge, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Thats The Golden Compass for our transatlantic cousins. Im guessing lots of you guys also got into these a few years back when they where quite popular. Never had as much hype as the Potter series or anything but the books were immensly popular at one point. Anyway after the disastrous movie where they decided to completely remove the ending and climax etc I have often thought this would work well as a TV series. This is BBC so I thought it wasnt going to get much of a budget but its New Line Cinemas first forray into British TV and the former producers of Dr Who,who were reported to have set up their own UK and US production company a while back have selected this as their first project with author Philip Pullman on board as an executive producer! Exciting times! If all goes well it will be eight one hours long episodes and a total of five series.

2. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this will be much better as a TV series than it ever could have been as movies. They're some of the best books of all time so let's hope they get it right this time, it's definitely in much more capable hands. Consider me perched!

alanmr and Beautiful Child 2 like this.
  3. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

This could be awesome. So excited. Fingers crossed they tweak the plot of book 3 a bit, I found it a bit sloppy and meandering after the first two.

Oh god it's going to be filled with people from Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey, isn't it?

4. Between news of this and the Netflix series of the A Series of Unfortunate Events, I'm so excited.

5. Oh great news, I read the three books back to back out 10 years ago and have loved them since. Yes the film was a slight let down (though Nicole Kidman was good), but with much less constrains with time, this could be really good.

6. Well it can’t be any worse than that shitfest of a film.

7. LTG

LTG

Thank god! Cast Nicole as Mrs. Coulter again and actually adapt the book and this could be perfect.

8. I just hope they can live up to the stunning imagery on a TV budget. But consider me perched.

scottdisick94 likes this.
  9. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I thought much of the cast of the movie were great, they just watered it down too much.

LightYears and PopJudge like this.
  10. Im already worried about the fact that they seem to be filming in Wales. This needs to be at least part filmed in Oxford and Greenwich like last time. Stunning locations, stunning clips.

11. Ohmygod! This could be amazing if done right. The TV format could give a lot of the finer details of the books much more room to breathe. I also lowkey hope they tackle the spiritual issues a bit more head on.

alanmr and Tribal Spaceman like this.
  12. LTG

LTG

Cardiff makes for a good London in Sherlock and much of Doctor Who. And they might be doing some of the stuff in the north at the moment.

13. RJF

RJF

Please don't be shit. Oh God, please don't be shit.

aaronhansome, alanmr, Rommers and 2 others like this.
  14. I'm very happy with this news. About time this got the treatment it deserves. I adore Philip Pullman's work.

15. I'd be interested to see how that plays out, really. Obviously my worldview is mad different but I always thought they were well-done.

16. aaronhansome, Andrew.L and sugarcoma like this.
  17. Oh god, the third book made me cry so much.

itylts and Femme Aesthetic like this.
  18. 2.5 years since the announcement this was happening and we're only at casting stage?!

scottdisick94 likes this.
  19. Dafne Keen of Logan fame is playing Lyra.

20. I really need to re-read this, because when I did back in the 00's I thought they were crap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.