Hole - General Discussion | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Hole - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by truman, Apr 15, 2012.

1. I don't mind Courtney bad-mouthing her own music, because you know she's just as likely to do a complete u-turn on every single opinion she's expressed in 5 years.

That said, her hate for America's Sweetheart has been rather consistent...

2. Celebrity Skin is kind of amazing. Love Malibu, Hit So Hard, Awful... great great songs. Very nostalgic.

3. She was in a 'bad place' when it was released (even by Courtney Love standards) and she's criticised the way it's mixed and the album artwork before so I think she has fair reason to dislike it a bit. It doesn't stop me thinking it's a good album. I prefer it to Nobody's Daughter I think.

4. [video=youtube;9W2OM2t08Ls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W2OM2t08Ls[/video]

I love this version

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  5. I think the only time this sort of thing didn't annoy me was when Suzanne Vega said listening to Days of Open Hand made her come out in hives. Mostly because I found that funny, but also because she while she said that it brought back bad memories, she certainly didn't say it was shit.

I have to remind myself that in my day job, I basically ignore what visual artists say about their own work (because they're almost always wrong). I really shouldn't treat musicians any differently.

6. I love Courtney, but Dave Grohl is one of the sharpest, nicest humans in rock (and he lives among the mortals). I just cringe when she acts like she was in Nirvana. She's her own worst enemy in so many ways.

7. America's Sweetheart had about 5 good songs but the rest were just her slurring and sounding drunk.
    I'm always in two minds as to whether I think Courtney can sing or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  8. I take that back, I'm sort of redescovering this album now. There's still a coupleof songs I'm not keen on (namely Life Despite God) but's actually a pretty decent record.

9. America's Sweetheart is fabulous - it always makes me sad that she (and a lot of people) hate it. That said there seem to be two very different versions of it floating around - the one I have on cd (bought at the time in the UK) is completely different than the version on spotify, and not just in terms of cleaning up the language. I think the version I have on CD is much, much better - the production is better and the vocals clearer.

I'm finally going to see Courtney live next month FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE. I missed the last 'hole' tour because I was abroad at the time and have never been the right age or in the right place at the right time to catch her before. I had pretty much given up hope of ever seeing her live. I'M SO EXCITED!

10. America's Sweetheart is a genuinely poor album which sounds a symphony of snorts and flushed careers. You cannot put out Live Through This and then release poorly judged crap like America's Sweetheart. You can't. There is a standard to behold. Celebrity Skin? Extremely underrated. God, it's one of the best missing albums of the era.

11. I wouldn't say Celebrity Skin is underrated - it's pretty much most people's favourite or second favourite of her albums no? It must have been her most commercially successful period I would imagine too - the title video seemed to be everywhere at the time.

12. Pretty on the Inside IS underrated. I really love it.

13. I think it deserves higher visibility. I remember one magazine ripping into it because Billy Corgan wrote it, or something ridiculous along that line. I love the Smashing Pumpkins, so I have no problem with Billy Corgan writing anything on a Hole album.

14. How has there been talking in this thread, on today of all days, without celebrating the 20th anniversary of one of the most seminal albums of the 90s?

[​IMG]

I rest my case.

15. Live Through This (and Celebrity Skin to a lesser extent) were and always will be important albums to me. Makes me feel 16 again. While I really didn't listen to/like Nobody's Daughter all that much, I saw that incarnation of Hole live in Glasgow and they were great, it was such a fun, rock n' roll gig. Loved it.

Need to relisten to that album actually.

16. 'You know my name' her new solo single is premiering today at BBC 6 Radio

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  17. It's much heavier than I expected it to be and kinda retro but I do love it.

Should go down well live.

18. Meh. I love Courtney, but I wish she would evolve musically. Can someone introduce her to Ariel Rechtshaid or something? Now that would be interesting.

19. Now THAT is a brilliant idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.