Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (YOUR WINNER Revealed!)

he/him
AvrilBanner2_zpsf329ad80.jpg

Regardless of whatever name has been thrown her way over the years: the “pop punk princess”, “anti-Britney”, “anti-Pop”; Avril Lavigne is an absolutely undeniable pop star. Avril knew she wanted to be a famous singer from the age of two while singing at church and annoying her siblings by singing herself to sleep at night. There is no arguing that throughout her career, this drive and passion have stayed with her. Her talents were first seen by her family, then her local community, culminating in winning the chance to sing with Shania Twain on stage at age 15 and signing her first record deal with Arista a year later. Her personal style has evolved just as her music has over the years. First, it was her iconic tie-over-wife-beater skater girl look, then it was the Gothic scene era of Under My Skin, followed by the pink streaked hair/sex appeal image of The Best Damn Thing. She always wanted to be herself and we know to be careful about labeling her. Whether recording her album alone in her home studio, or working with her label somewhere in Los Angeles, do not accuse her of not writing her own material or face the threat of a lawsuit (a few people have actually gone there).

Avril has sold over 50 million singles and 30 million albums worldwide and holds or has held several records in the music industry. She became the youngest female soloist to reach #1 in the UK with Let Go. Her singles “Complicated” and “Girlfriend” ranked #83 and #94 respectively on Billboard's Hot 100 of the 2000s. Every single one of her studio albums to date, have been at least #15 on every major music chart on the world. She has performed twice at the Olympics (2006 and 2010 Winter Editions) and represented her country (Canada) in the closing ceremony of Turin 2006. She has even tried to branch out into the business world with her “Abbey Dawn” line of fashion and a couple of perfumes, “Black Star” and “Forbidden Rose”. Her decade long run of relevance earned her the #10 pop-artist ranking on the Billboard “Best of the 2000s” chart.

Despite continual labeling of “pop punk” throughout her career, Avril will be quick to tell you she never considered herself as such. She considers the music to be simply “pop/rock” but does enjoy punk in her personal life and other upbeat forms of music. She has suffered from ADHD her entire life and maybe that explains the wave-like cycle of sound to her albums. Let Go started as a teen rebel anthem, with many punk and rock influences. Her songwriting was incredibly deep for someone of her age. This talent continued with Under My Skin which Avril explains as a more personally written and less aggressive album. Then, with The Best Damn Thing, Avril turned up the punk and edge again and admitted that most of the songs had little or no personal connection to her; they were just made to be “fun”. Goodbye Lullaby went back to a stripped down and intimately written album, with many of the songs from her own life experiences. However, with her last album Avril Lavigne we go back to what Avril calls the “Musical opposite” of Goodbye Lullaby. There were always clear definitions of musical style and sound to each album and this has led to what I see as a line between the “ballad/mid tempo/singer songwriter Avril” and the “pop punk or pop/rock in your face Avril”. We will have so much fun together seeing which Avril wins the battle.

You all know how these things work by now. Please discover, take in, re-visit, get your life, or peruse each song listed below and score them on a 1 to 10 scale (with .5's allowed of course). This is your only requirement and trolling will not be tolerated (scores to be disallowed). I encourage you to give us commentary as to why you either cannot live without the song or wish it would just go away. I promise to post your commentary in the reveal and have your voice be heard! As you may know, I will also reveal your score with your commentary, so that the reader can see what perspective you were coming from. I have a tendency to be pretty quick about the reveal and I know this is appreciated. However, I was on vacation during the Selena Gomez Rate (my first rate) and I will not be this time.

So I will try my best!

Let_Go_album_zps0cjangnm.png

Let Go (2002)

The favorite album for many of the long time Avril fans. She struggled for a year to find her music direction under Arista, until she finally started working with production team The Matrix. The resulting teen rebellion punk sound is the signature here but don't be fooled...the album has it's share of ballads and mid-tempos. The biggest pop debut of 2002 will definitely stand it's ground.

Full Album Listen Link

Tracklist:
1. Losing Grip
2. Complicated
3. Sk8er Boi
4. I'm With You
5. Mobile
6. Unwanted
7. Tomorrow
8. Anything But Ordinary
9. Things I'll Never Say
10. My World
11. Nobody's Fool
12. Too Much To Ask
13. Naked
14. Why (Bonus)

Under%20My%20Skin_zpszin5eina.jpg

Under My Skin (2004)

While Let Go was a bit more manufactured for Avril, this one has her fingerprints all over it. The album gives us a darker image and is full of post-grunge vibes. She wrote most of the album with Chantal Kreviazuk in Toronto, but was very hands on with all aspects of the production. I personally think this is her best album top-to-bottom, but how many of you agree?

Full Album Listen Link

Alternative Link

Tracklist:
1. Take Me Away
2. Together
3. Don't Tell Me
4. He Wasn't
5. How Does It Feel
6. My Happy Ending
7. Nobody's Home
8. Forgotten
9. Who Knows
10. Fall To Pieces
11. Freak Out
12. Slipped Away
13. I Always Get What I Want (Bonus)

The%20Best%20Damn%20Thing_zpsv0e7dtuv.jpg

The Best Damn Thing (2007)

This album is seen by many critics as her most commercial album and a departure from her earlier work. Avril worked with Rob Cavallo and Dr. Luke on the album and wanted to make a more fun and upbeat album, because it is more enjoyable for her to perform live. The Best Damn Thing is home to some of her biggest hits and questionable tracks, making it sure to be polarizing.

Full Album Listen Link

Tracklist:
1. Girlfriend
2. I Can Do Better
3. Runaway
4. The Best Damn Thing
5. When You're Gone
6. Everything Back But You
7. Hot
8. Innocence
9. I Don't Have To Try
10. One of Those Girls
11. Contagious
12. Keep Holding On
13. Alone (Bonus)
14. I Will Be (Bonus)

Goodbye%20Lullaby_zpsjkoahtkg.jpg

Goodbye Lullaby (2011)

The album is probably Avril's most personal and it took her two years to write it. There were many stories given as to why it was repeatedly delayed and I don't think anyone will ever know the truth. One thing I know is that this album is rated the lowest by critics and fans, something that I will never understand. This is probably my second favorite album and I pray that everyone who hasn't seen the light yet has their epiphany now.

Full Album Listen Link

Tracklist:
1. Black Star
2. What the Hell
3. Push
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Smile
6. Stop Standing There
7. I Love You
8. Everybody Hurts
9. Not Enough
10. 4 Real
11. Darlin
12. Remember When
13. Goodbye
14. Alice

Avril_lavigne_album_zpsp0aoi8s3.png

Avril Lavigne (2013)

With this summertime carefree anthem, Avril's self-titled work returned to her pop/rock roots. She also worked with many producers on the album, including her husband Chad Kroeger (from alternative band Nickelback). While many of the tunes are enjoyable as hell, I find myself slightly disappointed with a move away from the mature sound. I also wish I could tell you that rating "Hello Kitty" and the Marilyn Manson track are purely optional.

Full Album Listen Link

Tracklist:
1. Rock n Roll
2. Here's To Never Growing Up
3. 17
4. Bitchin' Summer
5. Let Me Go (feat. Chad Kroeger)
6. Give You What You Like
7. Bad Girl (feat. Marilyn Manson)
8. Hello Kitty
9. You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet
10. Sippin' On Sunshine
11. Hello Heartache
12. Falling Fast
13. Hush Hush

Extras & B-Sides:

1. Falling Down (Sweet Home Alabama Soundtrack)
2. Get Over It ("Sk8er Boi" B-Side)
3. I Don't Give ("Complicated" B-Side)
4. Take It ("My Happy Ending" B-Side)

Voting closes on Friday, March 6th at 11:59 PM EST -- This should be plenty of time!

Last edited:
he/him
Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (VOTING OPEN)

#72 Bad Girl 4.515
#71 Take It 5.328
#70 I Always Get What I Want 5.439
#69 Too Much To Ask 5.576
#68 Black Star 5.697
#66 (Tie) Alice & I Don't Have To Try 5.773
#65 Nobody's Fool 6.030
#64 One Of Those Girls 6.091
#63 4 Real 6.242
#62 The Best Damn Thing 6.288
#61 Everything Back But You 6.318
#60 Why 6.333
#59 Tomorrow 6.364
#58 Naked 6.379
#57 My World 6.409
#56 Falling Down 6.424
#55 Freak Out 6.455
#54 Stop Standing There 6.485
#52 (Tie) You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet & Hello Kitty 6.500
#51 Darlin 6.576
#50 Contagious 6.636
#49 I Don't Give 6.833
#48 Everybody Hurts 6.848
#47 Who Knows 6.864
#46 Unwanted 6.879
#44 (Tie) I Can Do Better & Sippin' On Sunshine 6.970
#43 He Wasn't 7.000
#42 Anything But Ordinary 7.061
#41 Let Me Go 7.076
#40 Bitchin' Summer 7.091
#38 (Tie) Get Over It & Remember When 7.152
#37 Forgotten 7.167
#36 I Love You 7.227
#35 How Does it Feel 7.242
#34 Mobile 7.348
#33 Not Enough 7.364
#30 (Tie) Slipped Away & Here's To Never Growing Up & Things I'll Never Say 7.394
#29 Falling Fast 7.561
#28 Goodbye 7.576
#27 Hush Hush 7.621
#26 Alone 7.636
#25 Sk8er Boi 7.652
#23 (Tie) Hello Heartache & Together 7.667
#22 Innocence 7.818
#21 17 7.833
#20 Push 7.879
#19 Runaway 8.152
#17 (Tie) I Will Be & Losing Grip 8.167
#16 Wish You Were Here 8.182
#15 Take Me Away 8.258
#14 Keep Holding On 8.333
#13 Fall To Pieces 8.348
#12 Girlfriend 8.364
#11 Hot 8.424
#10 Give You What You Like 8.455
#9 Don't Tell Me 8.485
#8 Nobody's Home 8.530
#7 When You're Gone 8.621
#6 Smile 8.667
#5 Complicated 8.788
#4 What The Hell 8.833
#3 My Happy Ending 9.273
#2 I'm With You 9.470
#1 Rock 'n' Roll 9.667

Last edited:
Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (VOTING OPEN)

If there's any justice Under My Skin will slay here.

Nobody's Home!

Those alternate artworks though

Has breakfast2 been banned yet?

I will be taking part in this! A lot of them I wouldn't even really need to listen to, although I'll give everything another spin anyway.

No extras? I'd love to score Falling Down off the "Sweet Home Alabama" soundtrack. No biggie though, I know we have plenty of songs already.

And leave us not forget:

[video=youtube;dp7E2ZqcuqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp7E2ZqcuqI[/video]

he/him

I could add "Falling Down" and "I Don't Give" as extras if there is enough interest.

D

Deleted member 3416

How long is voting open for? I've gotta do this.

I could add "Falling Down" and "I Don't Give" as extras if there is enough interest.

I'd love to rate Falling Down, don't know I Don't Give. Otherwise, I'm impressed at how good Avril has been to include her soundtrack songs on her eventual albums. So tidy.

he/him

Okay I have added 4 extras & B-sides to give us a final count of 72 tracks to rate.

Oh, I expected to score some of the good old demos and all that shizzle from all of her sessions (especially the track that gives 'Let Go' its title - so fucking gorgeous).

I unashamedly love Avril, and actually appreciate the alternative album covers you've used DJ.

I shall send my scores in by the end of the day.

He/Him

I've still got to much love for those extra tracks... Falling Down, Get Over It and I Don't Give are all absolutely sublime.