Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (YOUR WINNER Revealed!) | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (YOUR WINNER Revealed!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#47 Revealed!)

Our last three songs under 7.000 are here...

I wanted to know ya...I wanted to show ya...

...but you wanted nothing to do with this. Shameful.

#46. Unwanted

[​IMG]
    Score: 6.879
    Highest: 10 x 1 (Deborux)
    Lowest: 4.5 x 1 (MollieSwift21)

Host Spotlight: (9.5) -- ranked 4th on Let Go // 18th overall.

Just about as moody as it gets in Avril's entire catalogue and I fucking love it! I see this song as an ode to someone (in this case a teenage girl) feeling used by a person who just wanted that one thing. "I just don't understand why you wont talk to me" the next morning and "Don't talk words against me" to your friends, are clear samples of the situation that Avril paints. The sheer angst is a real thing here and despite how this comes as one of the "harder" rock songs in her early career; there are moments of beauty abound if you look. The whole journey rides in the comfort of vocals that are silky smooth and they transport you away from whatever problems you were dealing with before you hit play. What more do we want out of our favs?

eddy2375 (5) shocks me to the point where I'm considering the shredder for that stan card, daring to call this "generic ‘teen angst’ whining akin to “Losing Grip”. Can I skip to Under My Skin yet please?" iheartpoptarts (6.5) sees similar comparisons saying it's "like a second ‘Losing Grip’, only not quite as amazing". Too much for Laura Vanderbooben (5) as it's "A little overwrought".

WhenTheSunGoesDown (6.5) thinks it "sounds like it would have been cool live. I enjoy the glitchy instrumentals" and AlmostFamous (5) confirms that it "sounded better live, but it’s aged quite a bit and her voice isn’t at its best here".

Quite a portfolio of 'sound-a-likes' was built from our voters, including Jordananan (6) who said, "Evanescence used to do this a lot better; it's the production that lets it down. It needed a hook or two". phily693 (6.5) added, "This sounds like a track taken straight from Katy Perry's Christian album but slightly more rockier. This sounds like shade but it's not a bad thing, that album has some (two) great tracks". -- Hmm I didn't hear that, but then again I didn't get very far with that album during the Katy Rate. Audio lightweight NuhdeensPassport (6.5) was head banging to "another of the ‘Heavy Metal’ (or so I thought) songs. Her vocals remind me of Alanis Morissette here". -- That's cute boo.

sexercise (7) thought there were "Meh verses saved by a great chorus", while I'd argue the verses are the best part. Understanding the mixture is Jersey (7.5) seeing a "disjointed, the juxtaposition between the sweeter verses and harsh chorus kinda works, I mainly just love the chorus".

"Most angsty song on the album. It contains lyrics that some of us certainly can relate to. It was rumoured that she wanted the whole album to sound like this and I’m kinda glad they went with the more poppy sound instead" said Remorque (7.5). Instead imaduck (8) saw "Another perfect example of grunge Avril at her finest, I MISS GRUNGE AVRIL". -- I stand in the middle and love everything about this song, but certainly enjoy her ballads & acoustics most with one of these mixed in from time to time.

This may have gotten an 11 from Deborux (10) so I'll let her finish the song off: "Maybe my favourite Avril song. Very bratty in the lyrics but musically I think it’s one of the mature songs she’s ever done. The chorus is great and the production is epic". -- Next time we are both on plug DJ, we are SO getting our lives to this and everyone will deal. <3

Another elimination, another "fuck off" Avril anthem goes home...

...and it's the first part of yet another tie!

#44 (tie). I Can Do Better

[​IMG]
    Score: 6.970
    Highest: 10 x 2 (sexercise, Jonathan27)
    Lowest: 3 x 1 (Markus1981)

Host Spotlight: (6.5) -- ranked 13th on The Best Damn Thing // 57th overall.

While I do enjoy the overall style of the song and how it has Avril's stamp all over it, there are several parts of this song that bother me. First of all the song comes with that angry attitude that she does so well, but at the same time has points where she is laughing and goofing off; this all just makes the experience confusing. The bridge is quite possibly the strongest point and that shouty chorus works on several levels indeed. That middle 8 is seriously grating though, especially the "I want to puke" lyric...which reminds me, what the fuck is she saying in that second verse about want she wants to drink? -- I'll ask our more alcohol-cultured folk. This pretty much sums it up when the songs end with a growl followed immediately by an uncontrollable laugh...how am I supposed to take it seriously?

I don't have to wait long for an answer to my inquiry thanks to imaduck (6.5) who states, ""I Hate you now so go away" is an amazing chorus lyric. Avril is such a basic woman in all the best ways. I sing this song without fail when drinking limonchello" -- Oh okay...I don't...know what the hell that is. sexercise (10) agrees that the "chorus is incredible". Jonanthan27 (10) that "you can practically hear the gum smacking. The bridge is an absolute rager". -- No doubt about that bridge.

Changing gears phily693 (5) admits "I honestly doesn't remember this song, like at all. It's alright". tylerc904 (6) is with me on this, calling it what it is: "filler". Cannot disagree with the sharp analysis from Deborux (5) echoing the song's title with "yes, you can". To that point, Cowboystyle (7) adds "Avril 'can do better' than this too. its ok but quite Avril-by-numbers by this point". AlmostFamous (4) gives Avril an excuse, thinking "I want to say this is childish, but if you look at male equivalents in this genre (I’d class Blink 182 and Sum 41 etc. as this) they’re still doing chanty “Better than you” anthemz!"

I am in the same boat with everything Jersey (7) has to say, when he admitted "I used to be obsessed with this one, not so much these days. This and Girlfriend can stay seated". Not so fast says Remorque (6) who says "In the same vein as Girlfriend, just not as good". -- Girlfriend can still take a seat. "Good break up song but not single material" analyzes NuhdeensPassport (7.5).

WhenTheSunGoesDown (9) is willing to throw a good adjective towards a song: "Shouty and dumb and bratty and surprisingly fun". If you are against this song eddy2375 (9) will tell you where to go, saying the song "effortlessly keeps up the breakneck pace generated by the preceding track - and nobody does a kiss-off track quite like Avril".

Since Laura Vanderbooben (9) pretty much sums up why I am turned off by the song, the last word goes like this: "I always forget about this song. Sing it, ‘vril. I actually like how she sounds vaguely drunk during the verses, like the whole song is set during a drunken barfight. The adlibs near the end got it an extra point".

[​IMG]

This one is going to BURN at least a few of you, who declared their allegiance with hashtags on day one...

#44 (tie). Sippin' On Sunshine

[​IMG]
    Score: 6.970
    Highest: 10 x 4 (WhenTheSunGoesDown, Jordananan, eddy2375, Jersey)
    Lowest: 2 x 1 (MarkB)

Host Spotlight: (7.5) -- ranked 6th on Avril Lavigne // 42nd overall.

I wish I could find a better album cover, because this song is very positive. This elimination presents one of the bigger surprises of the rate so far, based on the love it was getting pre-rate. I wish I had better news, but this could have been worse. Three of our last six voters brought a 10, meaning you helped it up to this position. I think this song is good-to-great, but never has blown my socks off. Sure, there a lot of cute-n-sweet elements to it that make it a summer jam; but I could name hundreds of other summertime anthems I would play first. Also, when it first comes on I think "Roar" is starting, and I'd slightly rather hear that.

Okay while this song isn't exactly a favorite I can't defend this scalping from phily693 (4) having the gall to name this as a "A Victoria Justice reject?" -- I love some of Victoria's singles, but she doesn't even have an album after years and years of being in music...so what did it get rejected from being added to? Victoria also has cringy vocals and if she were told the song was in the running for Avril, she'd break down doors to get her hands on it.

AlmostFamous (6) asked if she "forgot about Bitchin' Summer?" Noted Katy stan Laura Vanderbooben (6) stands for her queen, pointing out that "for all the shit that Katy Perry gets about being “Katy Perry lite,” this really IS Katy Perry lite, just without Dr. Luke giving it twenty massive hooks". While imaduck (7) isn't sipping that sunshine, calling it "twee, cute but ultimately forced and laughable".

Deborux (7) applauds an "unexpected pop bop from Avril". Sunshine/glitter it's all the same for NuhdeensPassport (8), feeling it's "very Ke$ha and that is a good thing". sexercise (7.5) is seeing Candy and "lyrics that are very Mandy Moore circa 1999 but the melody is fantastic and it’s a great summer anthem".

Remorque (8) is ready to get down to this, working out that if ""Sippin’ on Sunshine” = “having big ammounts of sex”… I’m in!" I am all for ideas that will reignite Avril's career, like this one from iheartpoptarts (9.5) who loves their "favourite new Avril discovery. Why aren’t there more like this? She could release it as a summer single and gain a million new fans".

Jersey (10) is going to have one fucked up hangover when they read this elimination, because while listening to this song they said, "I want to skip in a sunflower field with a bottle of Riesling to this one. Don't judge me".

eddy2375 (10) is proud of what this song is, breaking it down by stating "Basically, this is summer and joy and irreverence packed into a flawless piece of music that should soundtrack everything in the world, ever. It never, ever fails to put a huge smile on my face, and for this Avril, I salute you".

Can you just picture WhenTheSunGoesDown (10) on amazon, iTunes, or some other Mp3 purchasing site relentlessly clicking away at that little preview play button? Whether you can or not, it is what they were doing months before the album came out and everything was good when Avril delivered: "This ticks all boxes for me. Fun, catchy, upbeat, about sunshine. The chorus gets me every time, especially the last time when they do that little fake-out before going out huge. Hearing it in full for the first time after listening to a six second snippet daily was amazing".

2. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#47 Revealed!)

This made me re-listen to it.

3. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

I've not come across an elimination that has hurt yet. I'm quite happy with the results so far... lets hope I don't regret that statement anytime soon.

4. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

I'm not mad. I'm disappointed.

We could've done better.

5. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#47 Revealed!)

I am done.

6. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

Damn, I expected I Can Do Better to do much better!

Sad about Sippin' On Sunshine, one of the very high points of her last album. Y'all are destroying this.

7. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

As much as I love it, I can't say I'm too surprised about 'Sippin' on Sunshine'. I mean, it's adorable, but I'm guessing that's not the kind of thing people generally go listen to Avril for.

8. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

Urgh

9. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

I think she's singing about Limoncello in I Can Do Better. Which is strange because to me it's such a parents-getting-a-little-tipsy drink. Not very hip. Love Laura Vanderbooben's description. I will imagine a bar fight forever when I hear the song now!

I knew Sippin' On Sunshine wasn't long for this world. Whatever. I'll be listening to it all day and feeling superior to everyone who rated it lower than a 7.

10. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

'Sippin' on Sunshine' makes me feel like I'm in Turkey, lounging around the pool in the sun again, as I spent my whole holiday there replaying it and 'Bitchin' Summer'. That's incredibly similar, so I'm expecting it to go soon. Fuck sake.

11. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

Yes, finally an elimination round with none of my favs leaving!

Here's hoping it's all going my way...

*hides*

12. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

If you are referring to the incredibly high average, it's only because everything is going to be close until the end. Literally any change in score change the rank for anything. It will look realistic at some point, I promise you.

Yup, imaduck covered it in his commentary. I have no idea what that drink is (or many drinks really), and had never bothered to look up the lyric before. I always wondering that this "drink as much larrangol as I can" was. It sounded like some garbled up mess how she sings it.

13. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

Fuck y'all for doing I Can Do Better like that. Such an aggressively brash song, which totally works in its favor.

14. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

The reason Avril sounds drunk on I Can Do Better is because she was. There was a behind the scenes video and she and Dr Luke were basically just getting wasted on limoncello, hence the lyrics.

15. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

Eek @ Dr Luke getting young women drunk.

16. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

If he even laid a finger on her...I'll kill him.

But in all seriousness, good to know where his creepin' days may have began.

17. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

I'm livid about 'Unwanted' going. Maybe my favourite Avril song. You've all done a great popinjustice here.

18. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

OK guys I'm chucking a couple more out real soon, before I head out for the evening. I'm sure no one will mind, however considering I'm about to lose a 10...it will be like pulling teeth!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  19. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

Why is 'Forgotten' still in this? It's awful.

20. Re: Honoring the Pop Punk Princess: The Avril Lavigne Discography Rate (#46-44 & Fan Favorite Reveal

But it's her Alanis-jam...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.