Horror films. | Page 1100 | The Popjustice Forum

Horror films.

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by robots need oil, Jan 15, 2009.

1. I loved the original Fright Night films as a kid, the roller skate scene in the sequel is truly iconique.

2. The original Fright Night is very very good. Get on it, @Hudweiser !

Dreampopboy, Hudweiser and Roey_says like this.

3. Amazing cover. This one also

[​IMG]

4. I know I've seen parts of it. My college roomie was big into her vampire flicks, but I just can't remember anything.

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  5. I like the story of The Ring, but I wouldn’t say it’s scary. Perhaps it’s because I’d already watched the Japanese version when I was 11. Samara is an icon though - definitely my next Halloween costume.

thommyh likes this.
  6. I know it got lacklustre reviews, but has Hideo Nakata’s “Sadako” reaches these shores yet?

7. That reminds me- I really wish that Sadako vs. Kayako movie was better than what we got. It had such an iconique concept of watching The Ring's video tape inside the cursed house from The Grudge/Ju-On. Like, yeah it might have been an unnecessary cashgrab movie but how can you screw that concept up!

ohaimanabu likes this.
  8. My biggest grip with the american The Ring is that they overdid it with the CGI effects on the cursed tape. It is creepy, but it takes you out a bit when it feels like an a contemporary art piece. The original seems much more creepy to me as it feels much more realistic, almost found-footage.

kermit_the_frog, Burzum and Babylon like this.
  9. We had to explain what a video tape was to my nephew when he watched it. That shit ages you.

10. Now that is scary, how old are we dear lord.

11. So luckily I was able to find Fright Night 2 in really good quality on Youtube as I couldn't find it anywhere else. Overall while not as good as the first a decent enough sequel. I thought it was pretty well directed and shot with more awesome practical effects. The leading vampire was gorgeous but I didn't find her as compelling as Jerry. Also kinda shook that the guy playing the werewolf in this was also the werewolf in The Monster Squad. The range!

I'm thinking of maybe re-watching the remake. I remember it starting off bad but finding its footing minus the awful CGI. Plus its written by Marti Noxon.

thommyh likes this.
  12. Along with Fright Night & The Lost Boys, Near Dark is also an excellent 80s vampire flick :

13. I hope they release Fright Night 2 on Blu-ray someday.

The original holds up. Chris Sarandon was perfectly cast, so sexy and worked that sweater. I like the remake too.

I love the mix of comedy and horror in the '80s. Fright Night is one of the best. I also love Elvira Mistress of the Dark. It's still funny. The Arrow release is fantastic.

Pink Frost, Steve003 and Andrew.L like this.
  14. Vamp is another good one that I enjoy.

I watched The Lost Boys and still love it although I found the editing a bit choppy. Watching some of the deleted scenes, I thought some of them could have been included. There's a great clip of Dianne Wiest's character being taunted by Kiefer Sutherland and his group.

Anjoel40 and Andrew.L like this.
  15. I have the Spanish edition, which is pretty good.

torontodj likes this.
  16. I was OBSESSED with the Jason Goes to Hell coverart as a kid and I learned a lesson in movie marketing the day my parents finally rented the VHS out.

17. BTG

BTG

Ring and The Ring are both brilliant. I get a lot of enjoyment out of both, and whilst the filter in the latter is overbearing in retrospect, both do a great job of capturing a real sense of dread and foreboding.

18. Scream (1996)

It was okay. It was not scary. The self-referential stuff amounts to only a few banal lines of dialogue and isn't a big part of the film. The movie has way, way too many mock non-narrative jump scares (friendly people suddenly appearing to scare the audience etc.). These stupid jump scares make the film far trashier than it needs to be. The mid-90s glossy production values and the choice of teen actors gives the film a strange dated quality that isn't nostalgic enough to overcome the oddness of it. It's an unremarkable movie that works well enough but I don't think it has dated all that well.

6 out of 10 [above average]

Scream 2 (1997)

It was maybe a notch better than the first film. The kills are a bit better and elongated, and there are less fake jump scares. The acting is smoother (the killers in the first film were both awkward actors) and the production smoother with less rough edges. The reveal at the end is too contrived and out of nowhere to dramatically satisfy.

Scream 3 (2000)

More overtly comedic than the previous films. The self-referential stuff has been turned up a few notches and it amuses. The first half is fairly strong but it drifts into indifference in the second half. Neve Campbell feels barely present in the film with less screen time than the other returning characters. The climactic reveal doesn't really work so it is an unsatisfying ending. It's not scary.

Scream 4 (2011)

It's a notch better than the other films. I think it's slicker and more consistently enjoyable than the previous films. The climax also works better and feels much less random (2 and 3 have very random endings). The motivation is nonsensical but it does seem organic and part of the story logic instead of utterly random. Also the villain character and actor are truly hiss-able which means I felt an emotional connection instead of shrugging with indifference during the climax. The supporting cast is better and starrier than in the other films. The self-referential stuff about 00s remakes and reboots felt oddly substantial.

7 out of 10 [good]

Order of best to worst in the franchise: 4, 2, 1 and then 3.

Scary Movie (2000)

It's basically an outright remake of Scream (1996) with jokes. It uses nearly the exact same plot. It shows that Scream has a very solid story and the film benefits from having a strong plot as comedy needs proper stories more than most people seem to think. Many viewings later over two decades and the film still works; probably because the dramatic structure is there to keep you invested in what is happening. I once found this hilarious. Over time it still remains amusing and fitfully very funny. I like this film and I don't care if that sounds shocking.

7 out of 10 [good]

19. Who's second account is this?

If not, Hello.

4Roses, ohaimanabu, thommyh and 6 others like this.
  20. BTG

BTG

What the fuck.

4Roses, ohaimanabu, thommyh and 11 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.