Horror films. | Page 1214 | The Popjustice Forum

Horror films.

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by robots need oil, Jan 15, 2009.

1. I haven’t watched Joyride in so long. I think I’ll give it a watch. I might still have my promotional shirt from Blockbuster Video somewhere for it.

I also love The Glass House with Leelee Sobieski. It’s a simple suspense movie but Ive always enjoyed it.

Andrew.L and Steve003 like this.
  2. Erm I also just found out that there are 3 other variations of Cabin Fever? I never been knew.

Any good? The first was fun for me and I was at that point in my life where I was having that white straight American frat boy jock curse that I’ll watch anything with that stereotypical character in it, especially if they attempt to have sex snd then gets brutally murdered. KIII.

3. Hell House LLC: The Director's Cut was just released. Checking it out now.

4. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

Ooh let us know if it’s worth watching!

Any foreign horror recommendations aside from the Japanese and Korean ones mentioned a couple pages back, ladies? I’ve watched (most) of those and need to add some more to my queue.

aux and johnny_tsunami like this.
  5. aux

aux

Whenever someone asks for foreign horror, I always recommend La Casa Del Fin De Los Tiempos (2013, dir. Alejandro Hidalgo) and El Orfanato (2007, dir. J. A. Bayona). They're both in Spanish and I love them both. They both trail a bit on the cliches, but overall, the endings more than make up for their faults.

La Casa Del Fin De Los Tiempos is the first Venezuelan horror film ever and I think it continues to be the only one since the Venezuelan film industry is pretty quiet. I haven't seen this one for a while, it's definitely due a rewatch, but I genuinely cannot forget that ending and it's why I always recommend it. It's on Amazon Prime for those in the US.

El Orfananto is a Spanish horror film which is exquisite. I'm fairly certain a lot of people may have seen it or at least heard of it since it was produced by Guillermo Del Toro. This is, quite possibly, the most emotionally affecting horror film I've ever seen. I would say this is the film that got me obsessed with the genre. I couldn't find any legal streaming links for this one in the US, but it's on Netflix in some European countries.

[​IMG]

He, thommyh, eyeline and 6 others like this.
  6. Oh yes The Ophanage is absolutely astounding.

7. I don’t think I could bring myself to watch the Castle Freak remake. The original scared me to death as a kid.

8. El espinazo del diablo (The Devil's Backbone) 2001 , great film

IEngineered, He, eyeline and 3 others like this.
  9. Hmmm

Steve003 likes this.
  10. Yeah I remember finding the Freak in Castle Freak actually kinda scary but that looks pretty mediocre.

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  11. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

Thank you, sis! Much appreciated. I think I’ll check out La Casa tonight and I’m sure I can find the second one...somewhere. I read the plots for both and they sound right up my alley.

aux likes this.
  12. OH WOW. The Dark & The Wicked was beautifully bleak and devastating.

I enjoyed it. The brother's acting is top notch and a ZAD.

Marin Ireland's acting deserves an award.

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  13. These sequences from Prince of Darkness hold up insanely well. They really feel like an actual nightmare.

thommyh, popBrit, Anjoel40 and 3 others like this.
  14. She’s watching Run now. Not exactly horror per se more thriller but there’s this one scene.

[​IMG]

It was masterfully done.

thommyh and lushLuck like this.
  15. It's a toss-up between those dreams or Alice Copper impaling that guy on a broken bike as most memorable scene.

16. In short, the Director's Cut of Hell House LLC is definitely not worth watching. The added scenes only add to the goofy quality that comes through in the sequels and is less apparent in the original.

Hopefully the upcoming Abaddon series keeps it simple.

Subwaykid likes this.
  17. Run gave me Lifetime movie teas so of course I enjoyed it.

thommyh, Steve003, aux and 1 other person like this.
  18. This is exactly why it appealed to me. Is it a good movie? No. Is there anything remotely surprising or shocking about it? Absolutely not. Is it a ridiculous, mindless riot anchored by wonderfully hammy performances? Yes ma’am.

Also love that they actually cast a wheelchair-bound actress for the part.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  19. About 40 minutes into Run and it's a campy mess. I love it!

thommyh, junglefish and lushLuck like this.
  20. It sounds like the sister movie to 'Hush' (Jessica Lange).

junglefish and lushLuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.