Horror films. | Page 1394 | The Popjustice Forum

Horror films.

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by robots need oil, Jan 15, 2009.

1. It would be 'The Exorcist' for me. I had waiting years to see it as it was banned in the UK. I was never able to get a pirate copy until I was about 17. I was still young enough to get scared then and I still had some remnants of my catholic upbringing to affect me. I know a lot of people hate the long winded beginning in Iraq but that's why it worked so well for me. It gripped me from the start and unnerved me throughout. It stayed with me for days. The idea of being attacked and manipulated by an invisible entity you had no way of fighting was horrifying. Now I am older and don't believe in possession, it doesn't have the same impact but I still love it.

The biggest scare was The Exorcist III. I jumped out of my skin. Special mention to the head popping out of the boat in Jaws.

sesita, He, lushLuck and 3 others like this.
  2. It depends on what type of scary you mean. Recently I would say Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum had one of the best jump scares I've ever seen.

Dreampopboy and HairBodyFace like this.
  3. The scariest experience I've ever had in a movie theater was the Exorcist when it was rereleased in theatres around 2000. I know some people here say it's camp and funny but I have never felt so dirty and scared. I didn't sleep for 3 days and while completely non religious, I actually said a prayer after seeing it. It really felt like you were touched by evil.

So yeah, even though I'm sure you've already seen it, that's the only time I've ever been truly terrified by a horror movie. Most times they're just thrilling and fun, like Scream.

4. I saw it at The London Trocadero in the 1990s a few times too. It was the only place to see it, as it was still banned in the UK. I hadn't originally noticed the demon face flashes, so shocked me greatly..

johnoclock likes this.
  5. YES I love The Ring! Great story and great acting to match.

I did see The Exorcist on TV when I was 12, and it left me scared for months. I remember knowing I shouldn't have been watching it but that made it all the more enticing. It was the first time I had seen a movie that was so much more disturbing than scary, especially the scenes where it's still her talking and she's crying/scared.

I remember finally getting past the fear a few months later, only to play that online maze jump scare game where her face pops up dd.

6. Guess it depends what scares you. A door that opens or closes itself freaks me out, so most of the Conjuring universe instalments are enough to send me.

The Eye (original) shredded me, the remake of The Ring, The Blair Witch Project by yourself at 3am with the lights out is terrifying...

7. The Kingdom (Lars Von Trier TV series) - I saw it in its theatrical release, so had four-and-a-bit hours of cinema rather than six decent episodes. Done in one sitting, it is so surreal while mixing in the mundane that it genuinely messes with you.

Pink Frost and TeamDorinda!! like this.
  8. It’s been a long time since a film genuinely scared me, but both of the recent IT films freaked me out at times.

when I was younger, Elm Street 1 really scared me to the point where I wanted to stop watching but couldn’t stop. It’s one of my favourites now though and I was only about 13 at the time.

HairBodyFace and Andrew like this.
  9. Scariest movie: Candyman original

Movie that best represented evil:

devils1.jpg

10. I’m watching The Night House and all I can think is that Allie X is certainly being put through it!

11. Rewatched Haunt tonight and it held up on a repeat viewing. I think it must be the best slasher of recent years? I can’t think of any that are better.

12. Today’s first-time viewing was Vamp (1986) - recently added to Amazon Prime in the UK.

I didn’t expect it to be so gory or so good.

Grace Jones is perfection, Robert Rusler reawakened my desire to rewatch A Nightmare On Elm Street 2 and it was a great ride.

Steve003 and silkandskin like this.
  13. I watched that for the first time last year and it freaked me out so much (especially the ending) that I had to sleep with the light on!

silkandskin likes this.
  14. Revenge was hard to watch at times and the plot was what it was but the cinematography & directing really elevated it.

Andrew, Steve003 and Uno like this.
  15. I'm still trying to recover from this one. All the therapy bills

[​IMG]

sesita, tylerc, Leader Beans and 3 others like this.
  16. Seeing this poster now, Jamie Lee Curtis looks a little like Joan Ferguson from Wentworth.

Anjoel40 and Steve003 like this.
  17. I look forward to seeing what the director does next

Duppe likes this.
  18. Wolf Creek for giving us one of the most terrifying, odious screen villains ever. Pitting him against a trio of likeable, believable protagonists makes for unbearable tension throughout. It’s actually maybe a bit too scary, like scary bordering on deep pervasive existential dread vibes.
    Sexual violence heavily implied but not shown

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  19. Honestly I haven’t seen Wolf Creek in ages but when I tell you I can still feel it whenever I think about it. Phenomenal filmmaking.

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  20. SBK

SBK

Yeah. As a Halloween sequel it was fine.

Bit it seemed mostly filler, made as gruesome as possible to gloss over the lack of story. Some of the dialogue and acting were cheesey as hell too... like Laurie injecting the pain meds?
    They were obviously just killing screen time to get to Halloween Ends for the final showdown with Michael & Laurie. (And he probably still won't die)

Anjoel40 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.