Horror films

I was underwhelmed by Evil Dead Rise. It just felt…inconsequential? I think had it just gone to streaming I would have understood. It all felt a bit “is that it?”, especially the wraparound plot, and if you’d told me it was another script that they just slapped some Evil Dead references on just before shooting I’d believe you.
My thoughts exactly, I left the theater quite disappointed. Thought it was uninspired, bit boring at times, and I really couldn't get invested in any of the family members as there was no palpable chemistry between them, especially before shit hits the fan. I also might be wrong but the 2013 remake felt a lot more gruesome than this one which I thought was weird? I probably was expecting too much.

Oop I've only ever seen the first one, and the whole last terrible Polterguist 2 style twenty minutes put me off the rest...
Maybe I need to catch up
After the seance scene I found it all got a bit silly and not very terrifying. But everything before that has remained some of the scariest stuff I've ever scene. It does rely on jump scares quite a bit, but I found the first half of the film incredibly tense.

I would definitely recommend the second one, which I've only seen once but remember being so scared by it. But I know a lot of people say they think it's a weaker film than the first one.

Also, for anyone who's enjoyed her other videos Alanda Parker recently watched Insidious and her reactions to the scares are hilarious!

Red Eye remains a fast paced, no filler, silly little gem with a gangbuster performance by Rachel McAdams. Wes Craven was on point. I still remember being gagged by the teaser trailer.

That twist!

I actually watched this on Friday night, and it's still incredible.

Me for the whole iconic finale:

xvKRgC6X2cHb7D7k.jpg:large

Watched evil dead rise tonight. Shout out to the incredible parents who decided to bring their 10 year old kids to this. Top-notch parenting.

And good for Lana for doing all this promo for the Judah Smith interlude.

Loved every minute of it. Incredible viewing!

Last edited:
Saw Evil Dead Rise yesterday, I was disappointed. Some scenes, I swear looked like they were pulled out of a Scary Movie. Several people laughted in the audience, me included. It's just a movie with a lot of blood. I didn't find it scary. Teenagers would probably love it though.

I really am worried about Evil Dead Rise. The promo's haven't looked all that amazing for me personally. It looks like a typical one woman possessed movie just with more gore. I was so damn excited when 2013's Evil Dead came out and I feel weird I'm so "meh" about this one. Probably because I was expecting a Demons 2 style high rise film. Maybe my lowered expectations will help.

He/him
I won't see it in the cinema, but I'm looking forward to catching it. But I completely agree that it's not recognisably an Evil Dead movie and is really just a possession movie. But as someone who only actually really liked 2013's version, I don't mind. This does look really good.

I really am worried about Evil Dead Rise. The promo's haven't looked all that amazing for me personally. It looks like a typical one woman possessed movie just with more gore. I was so damn excited when 2013's Evil Dead came out and I feel weird I'm so "meh" about this one. Probably because I was expecting a Demons 2 style high rise film. Maybe my lowered expectations will help.
I won't see it in the cinema, but I'm looking forward to catching it. But I completely agree that it's not recognisably an Evil Dead movie and is really just a possession movie. But as someone who only actually really liked 2013's version, I don't mind. This does look really good.

No spoilers, but I’ll confirm the trailers did a good job of not giving a lot away.

Watched Evil Dead (2013) last weekend and it was still as strong as the day it came out. Just a really well done horror movie. I’m excited to see Rises some time next week, I’m going to try and not compare I think so I’m not disappointed.

Watched evil dead rise tonight. Shout out to the incredible parents who decided to bring their 10 year old kids to this. Top-not parenting.

And good for Lana for doing all this promo for the Judah Smith interlude.

Loved every minute of it. Incredible viewing!
When I was in Scream 6, I thought I heard a child talking during the trailers. In the middle of the movie, they got up and it was confirmed, maybe a 7-9 year old. When the movie was over, I waited so I could actually see them (since they were in the row in front of me) and the kid stood up with a ghostface mask on...I wanted to be like "ummmm did you guys just watch that movie? Are ya'll getting the parallels? He's gonna be serial killer!"

He/him
A huge no. It's massively irresponsible. I've seen it from both sides - I was a child who watched horror movies and I have a 10 year old son.

Children at that age might want to see it, because it looks cool and scary and they think it'll be fun, but it's what happens after that they are just too young to fully comprehend.

My dipshit dad let me watch Elm Street and all other kinds of 80s horror trash like Maniac Cop etc at that age, which I thought made me so cool. I had nightmares for years. Love it now, but that shit terrorised me as a child. Cinemas even letting children into see movies that are rated so highly is appalling.

Yes I get what you’re saying - my experience of watching horror young was the late 90’s camp (Urban Legend, Scream, Final Destination) which are fairly tame, stuff like the new Scream & Evil Dead are a lot more brutal and could be a bit more scarring/horrifying.

100% agree too that cinemas letting young people into these movies is inappropriate (& for the adults to even be taking them to it), it’s one thing to ok it at home but a different thing to actively bring them to a showing. Apologies if my previous comment was flippant.

I’m not a fan of gory movies but I love horror, so I went to see Evil Dead Rise with my husband, having never watched a previous film in the series. It’s certainly gory, but I wouldn’t say it was horrifying. More, edge-of-your-seat terror than something deeply chilling.