Horror films

He/They
I wanted to keep the same style going so put on The Hand That Rocks The Cradle afterwards, it was a lesser version of Pacific Heights in nearly every way. Less menacing villain, less likeable main characters, less interesting setting. Also Julianne Moore completely stole the show with her 2 1/2 scenes.
The scene where she plants blood in the little girls knickers so they think Winston from Ghotsbusters had been fiddling with her had me absolutely shook as a child on first watching...
And of course
MV5BOTJhYjRiYjQtYThmMC00YzEwLTgwMDAtNDI1NjJmNjE2NGIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE4MDg3NTIz._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
They’re both essentially the same movie, Pacific Heights leaned more heavily into horror which is probably why I liked it more. Plus it didn’t have a TV movie feel that The Hand That Rocked The Cradle did. If you like one I’d recommend seeking out the other, I had fun with both of them.

I love Pacific Heights. It was one of Melanie Griffith's post-Working Girl movies. It's a very good film. Michael Keaton is excellent as the villain, and I love the house setting. And I don't care what anyone says, I love Griffith. She makes for a great heroine, and there is one great long sequence where her character turns the tables and it's oh-so-satisfying.

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle still holds up for me because I love early '90s thrillers like Pacific Heights, Internal Affairs, Shattered, Sleeping with the Enemy, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Basic Instinct, Sliver, even Body of Evidence.

I thought Rebecca DeMornay was a great villain but her character was more sympathetic because of her character's backstory whereas Keaton's character elicits no sympathy because he is just evil and relentless.

When Horror starting going a bit generic in the early 1990s (few exceptions aside (Candyman)), we got some excellent thrillers with great actors. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Pacific Heights, Single White Female, Basic Instinct, Se7en, Cape Fear, Unlawful Entry, etc. It didn't recover until 'Scream'.

Insidious 5 was really disappointing to me. I have a real soft spot for the first two, they were some of the first horrors I saw in the cinema. Watching them back they’re not perfect but they hold up pretty well but this new one fell flat.

When Horror starting going a bit generic in the early 1990s (few exceptions aside (Candyman)), we got some excellent thrillers with great actors. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Pacific Heights, Single White Female, Basic Instinct, Se7en, Cape Fear, Unlawful Entry, etc. It didn't recover until 'Scream'.
Love Brian De Palma's over the top, camp Raising Cain from 1992 as well.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105217/reference/

De Palma is so underrated compared to his 70s peers like Spielberg, Lucas and Coppola. Carrie, Dressed to Kill, Scarface, Phantom of the Paradise, Blow Out. Truly a master of suspence, CAMP and the macabre. When will ET?
Like wine and olives, it's a taste I developed as I got older. I found Raising Cain baffling when I first saw it. Love it now.

He/Him
The Hand That Rocks the Cradle still holds up for me because I love early '90s thrillers like Pacific Heights, Internal Affairs, Shattered, Sleeping with the Enemy, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Basic Instinct, Sliver, even Body of Evidence.
You are speaking my language. 90's thrillers are my absolute favorite genre and always satisfy. Throw in all the Ashley Judd films and I'd be set. I wish they'd come back.

Double Jeopardy... that was a classic, that was a classic.

Also, if we're talking about 90s (ish) thrillers, let me mention Dead Calm, a film that completely scared me off boats and scalp massages. The first time I saw Nicole Kidman and the sizzling hot Billy Zane.

Last edited:
I always kept getting Dead Calm and Cape Fear mixed up for some reason (probably because they are set on a boat), but love both films a lot.

The Cape Fear remake has such an odd,campy tone but I really like it.

Also more of a thriller but speaking of Nicole Kidman (who truly slayed the late 80's/90's) is Malice. She is such great evil bitch in that. Also the doll is low key freaky.

God, I wish Nicole hadn't been injured and had been in Panic Room. Jodie Foster is great but the character was written as a more pampered, rich trophy wife that springs to action and I would have loved to see what she could have done with that.

Also, honorable mention for To Die For. More of a pitch black comedy than a straight ahead thriller but she was so perfect in that.

He/They
Also more of a thriller but speaking of Nicole Kidman (who truly slayed the late 80's/90's) is Malice. She is such great evil bitch in that. Also the doll is low key freaky.
Adore Malice. I remember seeing it late one Friday on BBC1.
And yes Raising Cain is camp of the highest order and so watchable.

Billy's butt in Dead Calm.......an awakening was had!

Billy Zane was so gorgeous in Dead Calm. All three leads are great in it and it really holds up.
Double Jeopardy... that was a classic, that was a classic.

Also, if we're talking about 90s (ish) thrillers, let me mention Dead Calm, a film that completely scared me off boats and scalp massages as a kid. The first time I saw Nicole Kidman and the sizzling hot Billy Zane.

I love, LOVE Double Jeopardy. I don't know what it is about that movie but every time it's on TV I get sucked in. Ashley Judd, Tommy Lee Jones and sexy Bruce Greenwood really elevate it from basic status. Judd is a really compelling heroine. She's resourceful and likable.

I also love how the film moves from location to location. I'm a sucker for anything set in New Orleans and the film makes good use of the NOLA setting.