Horror films

Inland Empire

Staff member
he/she/they
Watched The Exorcist for the first time last night and...meh. Not for me at all. I certainly didn't find it scary so much as just gross and off-putting (it took considerable effort for me to eat my avocado toast for lunch today). Maybe it's just the way it's aged, but other 70s horror classics like Suspiria, The Wicker Man, Don't Look Now and Carrie still freak me out on some level even if it's not abject terror. Maybe I just have an imbalance of Catholic religious trauma in favour of cult/folk-related paranoia and feminine angst.

Reactions: aux
Watched The Exorcist for the first time last night and...meh. Not for me at all. I certainly didn't find it scary so much as just gross and off-putting (it took considerable effort for me to eat my avocado toast for lunch today). Maybe it's just the way it's aged, but other 70s horror classics like Suspiria, The Wicker Man, Don't Look Now and Carrie still freak me out on some level even if it's not abject terror. Maybe I just have an imbalance of Catholic religious trauma in favour of cult/folk-related paranoia and feminine angst.
I’ve never found it scary either. Well made, but I feel like its scares are very of its time.

I am sure if I had seen it for the first time now, it wouldn't have the same impact. Lucky enough I got to see it when I was young enough and a time when these films still worked really well. Growing up in a rather strict Catholic family also helped, even though by the time I was 17 at first watch, I was staring to deconstruct. Not sure it ever totally leaves you.

Last edited:
I watched Dead End (2004) last night. I vaguely remember having watched it in the late 2000’s on TV one night, but it was mostly new to me. It screamed 2004 in the worst way with some of the editing choices and the characters & their relationships were also certainly…something. Especially the 1950’s style parents. Overlooking that, some of the horror here was really effective. It turned out to be a far bleaker story than I expected it to be. Rough around the edges, but certainly some stuff to enjoy overall.

I also watched Black Rock, which was nothing new, but a perfectly serviceable version of the story it was telling. I enjoyed the characterisation in this one, the 3 main characters weren’t particularly likeable & had their flaws, but I was still rooting for them.

I watched Goodnight Mommy (the remake - don't drag me) last night and I saw the ending coming a mile off. How does the remake compare to the original?