Horror films

Has anyone else watched the 4-part doc on Amityville on iPlayer?

It goes on way too long with drawn out slow panning shots of hallways and trees but there’s some interesting stuff in it:

- a cellmate of the original killer relaying that he kept complaining that the film sequels were “keeping him from being paroled”, seemingly oblivious to the fact he’d shot six people dead
- George Lutz suing everyone involved with sequels as he couldn’t benefit from them, resulting in a notice that reads “Amityville II is NOT a sequel to The Amityville Horror”.
- John Carpenter laughing at being asked if he’s watched any of the follow-ups and tearing apart haunting movie tropes
It was very good. I watched a couple of weeks ago. I liked it's neutral tone towards the hauntings and heavy focus on how the story was used by George Lutz. It was clearly an abusive situation that was taken advantage of, as were most of Ed & Lorraine Warrens cases. The Warrens were such a pair of charlatans, but they have made great characters in films. It was funny to see the gorgeous James Brolin pretending he believed the story and then admitting he knew it fake.

The most worrying thing was what had happened the young Lutz boy now, he was clearly messed up. I felt he was taken a little advantage of by the documentary makers as he is clearly unwell.

Don't know why it took me so long to watch it, but the original Pulse is a pretty stunning film. The visuals for the ghosts are so well done and creepy. It seems like one of those movies that will get better and creepier with age.
It is so creepy. It's tone grabs you right from the start and leaves you unsettled throughout. Best not watched if you are feeling quite down.

Last edited:
Not a film but I'm enjoying the latest true detective season with Jodie Foster, which is still predominantly a mystery thriller but has some horror elements in it. I haven't seen seasons 1-3, but Season 4 is a completely new story so it wasn't difficult to jump right in.

Not a film but I'm enjoying the latest true detective season with Jodie Foster, which is still predominantly a mystery thriller but has some horror elements in it. I haven't seen seasons 1-3, but Season 4 is a completely new story so it wasn't difficult to jump right in.
Just watched 5 episodes, it's very good. It's not as good as the previous seasons. It's totally different tonally and is easier to follow. The timelines on the previous ones jump all over the place. It reminds me of Fortitude (which is much better) but for a detective series of this type, this is great. Jodie & Kali are great, which helps even though this is a step down.

Just watched 5 episodes, it's very good. It's not as good as the previous seasons. It's totally different tonally and is easier to follow. The timelines on the previous ones jump all over the place. It reminds me of Fortitude (which is much better) but for a detective series of this type, this is great. Jodie & Kali are great, which helps even though this is a step down.
I'll check out the previous seasons after the finale then. The icy cold endless night setting really adds to the spookiness this season. Kali Reis is incredible, the fact that she's a professional boxer and new to acting? Slay.

I'll check out the previous seasons after the finale then. The icy cold endless night setting really adds to the spookiness this season. Kali Reis is incredible, the fact that she's a professional boxer and new to acting? Slay.
They are less horror (and seemingly supernatural). The also need a lot of concentration and the timeline flips constantly but worth it if you stick with it. Kali is excellent, very engaging and believable. The guy who plays her lover is rather gorgeous too.

I'm getting back into horrors (winter is coming here...)

I loved this giallo, it was quite over the top and silly. But also some tense, creepy scenes as well, a good balance.

Having recently escaped the clutches of a hippie sex cult, a beautiful model is pursued by a serial killer whose previous victims include former occupants of her new apartment.

MV5BMzU2MTQ5NjQtMzA4Yy00YzcyLWI3YTQtZTg3ZWNjNzIxYTgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU0NTE4MTkz._V1_.jpg

It seems light hearted because the dubbing and some of the acting was really bad, or maybe the original script was terrible, but it is unintentionally funny at times like the camp photographer. The kitsch soundtrack keeps the tone brighter at times.

I really liked the lead actress Edwige Fenech, seen her in quite a few Italian horrors. Both the lead male and female actors were also the stars of The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh (1971) and All the Colors of the Dark (1972)

I also watched Beau Is Afraid.

The first two hours were like a surreal nightmare, but absurd to the point of being quite funny.

Then I'm not sure if I got bored, but the last hour was torture and self indulgent that I couldn't wait for it to end.

The father being a giant ugly penis monster in the attic had me rolling my eyes, it just got dumb

She/Her/Queen
Don't know why it took me so long to watch it, but the original Pulse is a pretty stunning film. The visuals for the ghosts are so well done and creepy. It seems like one of those movies that will get better and creepier with age.
This was the time when J-Horror was still good and now they can't do one horror film without the CGIs - thanks I hate it!

Japanese directors do creepy + quiet moments of horror so well (see Audition, Cure + The Ring + Dark Water etc.). There's this other film, not necessarily horror but it creeped the fuck outta me. It's also called Creepy, pun intended, I guess. Check it out if you haven't seen it:

Love giallos and usually love Bava, but this was a dud. Quite boring and forgettable......I don't even remember much of it already. The poster is better than the movie.

LISA-AND-THE-DEVIL-1.jpg

This was the time when J-Horror was still good and now they can't do one horror film without the CGIs - thanks I hate it!

Japanese directors do creepy + quiet moments of horror so well (see Audition, Cure + The Ring + Dark Water etc.). There's this other film, not necessarily horror but it creeped the fuck outta me. It's also called Creepy, pun intended, I guess. Check it out if you haven't seen it:

Kiyoshi Kurosawa has been genre-hopping the last 15 years, but he'll release a new horror movie this year: 'Chime'. According to IMDb: A school teacher is woken by a sound that fills him with dread.

1708628745443.jpeg

I hope I'll get to see it somewhere. Here for more of his depressive vibes, distorted characters and filthy warehouses filled with cardboard boxes.

She/Her/Queen
Kiyoshi Kurosawa has been genre-hopping the last 15 years, but he'll release a new horror movie this year: 'Chime'. According to IMDb: A school teacher is woken by a sound that fills him with dread.

View attachment 51046

I hope I'll get to see it somewhere. Here for more of his depressive vibes, distorted characters and filthy warehouses filled with cardboard boxes.
Yasssd I’m ready to be disturbed Daddeh

Found some random horror things in a box from when I used to try and get free things from UK distributors. Along with some questionable tie ins for haircare and ugly ass sandals...

A3C1D87F-61F9-467E-A194-AF4F86597153.jpeg

Attachments

• 2E2C0ACA-F687-4E56-BAA0-E065003A377F.jpeg
    2E2C0ACA-F687-4E56-BAA0-E065003A377F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 430E90ED-D9D6-4FF1-B27E-E2582B3AF8AD.jpeg
    430E90ED-D9D6-4FF1-B27E-E2582B3AF8AD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 8902B816-53C5-452C-BF46-7252F5ADE0FF.jpeg
    8902B816-53C5-452C-BF46-7252F5ADE0FF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27