Horror films

The First Omen was a certified banger. How unfortunate for Immaculate to have this come out just a month after and outdoing it in just about every way possible.

It's a plot driven slow-burn with great cinematography and nerve. I could definitely see how this was NC-17 and had to be dialed back. There are two particular scenes that are definitely deserving of some fanfare, and I hope people don't overlook this.

Rmx

He/Him/His
The First Omen was a certified banger. How unfortunate for Immaculate to have this come out just a month after and outdoing it in just about every way possible.

It's a plot driven slow-burn with great cinematography and nerve. I could definitely see how this was NC-17 and had to be dialed back. There are two particular scenes that are definitely deserving of some fanfare, and I hope people don't overlook this.

I just read that it's a prequel to previous films I haven't seen. Is that a problem? Can I watch this film on its own?

I just read that it's a prequel to previous films I haven't seen. Is that a problem? Can I watch this film on its own?
I had never watched the original either - I only did after seeing this prequel - and never felt out of the loop. Of course there are references and callbacks to the original, but the prequel definitely stands on its own.

Reactions: Rmx

Rmx

He/Him/His
I had never watched the original either - I only did after seeing this prequel - and never felt out of the loop. Of course there are references and callbacks to the original, but the prequel definitely stands on its own.

Thanks! You made me very interested to see it. Let's see if my bestie is up for it.

She/Her
I hated Pearl
giphy.gif

The way Immaculate and First Omen are 96% exactly the same movie. I-
Fqas.gif

Nun in-training gets inexplicably pregnant. Discovers it's a conspiracy that the Nuns and Priest are in on. Discovers that there have been many failed attempts to "create" this immaculate child. Child is the antichrist. Despite Sydney's great acting and Omen's good creepier aesthetics, neither film were really that good overall.

I loved The First Omen too, but I didn’t see anything that would warrant an NC17.

It’s only rated a 15 here for example, whereas Immaculate is an 18.

I loved The First Omen too, but I didn’t see anything that would warrant an NC17.

It’s only rated a 15 here for example, whereas Immaculate is an 18.

It was mostly due to nudity, not gore:

the birthing scene had to be cut down and was continually rejected by the ratings board because they originally had shown the full-frontal vagina and the demon hand slowly clawing its way through — they eventually allowed it to be R after removing the shots of the woman’s vagina being ripped open and were only allowed to show the arm after it had already came through.

I stopped Servant after S1 because I wasn't really into it, but after seeing Nell in TFO I'm gonna give it another go.
Season 1 is the best one, Season 2 goes nowhere, season 3 is better, the last season is decent (it has the best opener). I persevered mainly because of Toby Kebbell, who is underused in seasons 2 & 3. I am glad I watched them all though. It has oodles of atmosphere.

Last edited:
It was mostly due to nudity, not gore:

the birthing scene had to be cut down and was continually rejected by the ratings board because they originally had shown the full-frontal vagina and the demon hand slowly clawing its way through — they eventually allowed it to be R after removing the shots of the woman’s vagina being ripped open and were only allowed to show the arm after it had already came through.

Ooh, you still see the arm start to come through though. What is americas problem with vaginas.
15 still isn’t aligned with a hard R though. So it’s interesting that the ratings board still have different attitudes.

Reactions: Uno