Horror films

Immaculate was very good. In theory I appreciated the brevity of the run time because I do feel a lot of movies are too long nowadays but this one could have benefited from 10-15 minutes more. It needed some breathing room. Still really enjoyed it as The First Omen's younger, faster paced, more fun sister film and they both have there place in nun horror. The final long take was so great.

Abigail ended up with $10 million for its opening weekend which is even lower than the projected $12 million.

I do think the marketing let the film down but I think it’s time for Radio Silence to find new writing partners. I know they’re loyal to their team but looking at the two Scream’s and this, it seems like the writing is what holds them back. I think Abigail could’ve been much better if someone else wrote it.

Actually surprised by the semi tepid response for Abigail. Maybe it was just because the edible hit at the right moment, but I kind of had a blast from start to finish. The little girl from Matilda was excellent. I do wish the twist wasn’t spoiled in the trailers - kind of wish I went in completely blind.

I thought Abigail was a blast. A campy romp with a satisfying/fun ending that never took itself too seriously. Maybe not an instant classic, but I'd watch it again and (if it was successful enough to have one) would watch the sequel.

Rmx

He/Him/His
Actually surprised by the semi tepid response for Abigail. Maybe it was just because the edible hit at the right moment, but I kind of had a blast from start to finish. The little girl from Matilda was excellent. I do wish the twist wasn’t spoiled in the trailers - kind of wish I went in completely blind.

That part. I haven't seen it yet, but I was so disappointed when the trailer spoiled what is presumably the twist of the film. I hope there's some surprises left.

Subwaykid

Staff member
I really kinda didn't enjoy Late Night With the Devil. I thought they were leading into a misdirect at one point, only for it to head in exactly the same way they were telegraphing the whole time and everything else before it was kind of a slog. It's kind of a scream that there's so little to discuss about it that the only thing people mention is the AI title cards that didn't even need to be included to begin with.

I absolutely loved Abigail. I could see it cracking my top 5 vampire films. Every single cast member delivered, Radio Silence continues to grow as filmmakers (which makes me even more pissed off they aren't doing Scream VII) and it was just pure fun. I have a few nitpicks like the editing was a bit sloppy sometimes and
I wish they got a bigger name for Abigail's father. No shade to Matthew Goode who's a fine actor but I really needed a Sigourney Weaver Cabin in the Woods type casting moment aka someone general audiences would know. Like get someone famous from a past iconic vampire movie like Kiefer Sutherland
My favorite horror film of the year so far.

She/Her/Queen
I just came back from Immaculate. Now I understood why The First Omen flopped. It's essentially the same movie but the other is more arthouse and better. Immaculate is the relatable queen but The First Omen is the edgy queen.

I prefer the latter. Sydney was amazing in Immaculate though and I did fall asleep in the third act, so bye!

Last edited: