Horror films. | Page 808 | The Popjustice Forum

Horror films.

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by robots need oil, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Brilliant choices although I am ashamed to admit I haven't seen The Burning.

Anjoel40 likes this.
  2. Not them bragging about a 92, for it to drop to 79 hours later.

stuaw and lushLuck like this.
  3. Been on a slasher kick these past few days. I watched a couple of 80s classics I had never seen before. Pieces, which has the best tagline, "It's exactly what you think it is" ddd It is so gloriously ridiculous that it begs to be watched with friends.

Also, Slumber Party Massacre, which while not being the feminist parody the writer and director intended is still very interesting. Being written and directed by women, feminist writer Rita Mae Brown and Amy Holden Jones respectively, is felt throughout the movie. It passes the Bechdel test with flying colors and when the killer, with his comically oversized phallic drill, finally speaks he is a woman's worst fear incarnate.

4. I’ve only seen two of these.

5. Black x-mas (2006) should have been a damn classic with that cast & gore but they ruined it with too much back story & choppy editing. The fundamentals of a truly great slasher were there, they just fucked the execution.

I will stan Michelle Trachtenberg & Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it though.

6. The director was looking to do something like the original, but Mr Weinstein butted his ugly self into the project daily demanding more gore and cutting scenes.

7. Black X-Mas is a trashy mess, but gosh darn if it isn’t as entertaining as can be. It’s not good in the slightest, and I’d be hard pressed to ever recommend it, but I do have fun watching it every year.

The original, it goes without saying, remains one of the greatest films of all time.

lehnw01, Duppe, Andrew.L and 2 others like this.
  8. All of you are horrific flops for not including Candyman (YES IT'S A SLASHER) in your list of top 5 greatest slashers.

Here are my top 5:
    Halloween.
    The Prowler (1981).
    Black Christmas.
    Candyman.
    Scream.

And that's that on that!

9. Sorry for the double post, but it could be argued that Angel Heart is a slasher (it certainly has many typical slasher tropes) but I thought it would still be a bit too "loose" to include it. However, it's a masterpiece that many subsequent films have copied. All of this also goes for Deathdream.

They are "honorary" inclusions in my top 5 slasher list.

Andrew.L and BTG like this.
  10. BTG

BTG

Still thinking that Rourke ASS?

Remorque and johnny_tsunami like this.
  11. Black Christmas was on Amazon Prime at Christmas, I couldn't help but watch it again, I find it a lot more creepy than the 2006 version, which, felt more tongue-in-cheek.

Can anybody recommend any good forgotten Horror movies? In exchange I'll recommend Sleepaway Camp for anybody looking for an early 80's slasher in the same vein as Friday the 13th.
    [​IMG]

lushLuck, johnny_tsunami and Andrew.L like this.

12. A real carpenter’s dream, flat as a board and needs a screw!!!

Steve003, lushLuck and johnny_tsunami like this.
  13. The original Black Christmas is incredible. Not only hair-raising (the killer has got to be one of the creepiest in the history of cinema), it contains some genuinely hilarious black comedy as well.

Mrs Mac, the alcoholic house mother, is an absolute scream.

[​IMG]

These broads would hump the Leaning Tower of Pisa if they could get up there!

14. Pieces
    The Tunnel (found footage film)
    Dark Night of the Scarecrow
    Tourist Trap
    Deathdream
    Lake Mungo
    Let's Scare Jessica to Death
    Deep Red

Dreampopboy and AshtrayHeart like this.
  15. Pieces is iconic. SO many moments. The lead screaming DAMN YOU or whatever for what feels like 20 minutes, the kung-fu sequence, the full frontal cock-shot, the whole puzzle thing - so many screams.

16. *Adds to list of films to watch*.

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  17. It’s not a slasher (in the slightest ddddddd) but I have such a soft spot for Zulawski’s “Possession”. It’s so off the wall but has a tremendous atmosphere. Best watched with absolutely no idea what to expect.

[​IMG]

18. Has anyone picked up Arrow's reissue of The Legacy? I love that film but wondering if it's worth double-dipping since I already have the Scream Factory edition.

19. Not to mention that ending out of NOWHERE. Best left unspoiled but it is WHACKED.

Andrew.L likes this.
  20. BTG

BTG

I’m in the mood to watch Candyman now. Yas, Kasi Lemmons, judge your terrible white friend for her privilege.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.