Horror films. | Page 921 | The Popjustice Forum

Horror films.

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by robots need oil, Jan 15, 2009.

1. The Thing prequel after they lovingly crafted practical effects over the course of a year and a half:

2. Why they went with CGI instead of that beautiful practical work will always make me mad.

As far as my choices tonight I ended up watching Countdown and The Prodigy. Countdown started kind of fun in a PG-13, jump scare way but got worse as it went on. The Prodigy was better then I thought it would be. The kid who was in IT did a great job and the film was darker then I thought it would go. The scene when he was talking to the therapist guy made me actually sit up. "What did little Georgie just say?!" Iconic! The mom and dad were so god damn bland though even though I would let the dad inside me......

3. Color Out of Space was insane and extremely anxiety inducing. Definitely gave me shades of Annihilation but more batshit insanity and less philosophical mystique. As expected, you will hate Nicolas Cage’s character by the end, but there’s other equally prominent characters and it’s a fun (albeit stressful) ride.

Dreampopboy and johnny_tsunami like this.
  4. Currently watching Doctor Sleep (non DC version as I don’t want to waste three hours watching something I may not like). It’s very good, but definitely not a horror film. Nothing even remotely scary has happened yet, although the Tremblay scene was grim.

It’s a shame as I love Mike Flanagan and thought it would be chilling and scary, instead it’s just a good thriller.

Andrew.L and Steve003 like this.
  5. I still haven’t seen “Doctor Sleep”, despite my love for “The Shining”.
    Jessica Lange was robbed of the role of Wendy.

Deleted member 2097 likes this.
  6. The Shining is so perfect, I can't bring myself to watch a sequel, even if I do love Mike Flanagan.

7. I think that’s what’s keeping me from watching it as well. It’s so fantastic as a stand-alone film.

8. I’m watching the original Child’s Play trilogy and I have to say the practical effects and animatronics have aged well.

9. Plus the more ambiguous it is, the better. I still plan on checking out Doctor Sleep soon because I'm a Little Flanagaster.

johnoclock and aux like this.
  10. Uno

Uno

If I remember correctly, they did everything practically like the original but then the studio made them put CGI on top of the practical effects at the very last second and it pissed everyone off.

I really don’t think the prequel was that bad but yeah, the obvious CGI did it in.

Anjoel40 and johnny_tsunami like this.
  11. The Thing is one of my favorite movies, and I still haven't watched the prequel. All that CGI would just hurt too much.

12. Doctor Sleep is underrated. Nothing will top Kubrick's "Shining" along with King's novel so the film is a mix of both. It isn't outright as iconic or terrifying as the original film but is a sequel made with love to its roots. I personally loved it. Some people might since it has its own story and new villains but not at all a bad film.

stuaw, LP, Dreampopboy and 1 other person like this.
  13. I did enjoy it for what it was, but what it was wasn’t a horror film.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  14. I still haven’t watched the new Black Christmas movie after the atrocity that was the 2006 remake. Is the new one any good?

15. Wow The Turning was an absolute turd wasn’t it?

Lioncourt likes this.

16. I liked it better then the 2006 one to be honest. Definitely not a great movie like the original but an ok little slasher movie that should have been R. The people who acted like it was the worst film ever made clearly just said that because the movie "hates all men" when no it just hates rapey, misogynistic men.

Dreampopboy and joeee like this.
  17. I’ll definitely watch it when I get the chance. The 1974 one is one of my favourite films ever. Even though John Carpenter pretty much took Bob Clark’s concept for a sequel, it still would’ve been interesting to see Billy return on Halloween night in another movie.

Steve003 and ohaimanabu like this.
  18. I just watched John Carpenter’s “In The Mouth of Madness” and it was really good. I remember trying to watch it when I was younger and it first came out but I don’t think I payed too much attention to it. It was pretty bananas.

19. I watched the theatrical cut of Doctor Sleep. I wasn't blown away but it was pretty good. Rebecca Ferguson was a great bad guy and the little girl was excellent. I kinda felt it would have made a better limited series on Netflix though.

20. I don't think it ever was meant to be judging by King's book. They did back themselves in a wall having to include Kubrick's creation as well but I did love it as well. Glad you did too.

stuaw and Andrew.L like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.