Horror films. | Page 965 | The Popjustice Forum

Horror films.

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by robots need oil, Jan 15, 2009.

1. I finally saw The Descent for the first time this weekend after my intense claustrophobia kept me from watching it all these years. A great thrill ride. Then realized I watched the US version with the bad ending, so made sure to watch the superior conclusion online afterward.

roborovsky, popBrit, 4Roses and 6 others like this.
  2. Watched Rec and Rec 2. Still both hold up. Angela is a queen and so much better then Jennifer Carpenters screechy ass final girl in Quarantine. I remember not loving 3 but I want to re-watch it for this alone

upload_2020-3-30_4-24-43.jpeg

part 4 was mediocre from what I remember. Ugh I wish Amazon wasn't a flop and had them.

Femme Aesthetic, Andrew.L and sesita like this.
  3. To this day, Rec has been one of the scariest experiences I've ever had on a cinema. And the third one is a fantastic, more comedic take on the series which gave the saga a breath of fresh air!

Fourth one's trash.

4. What a masterpiece

Steve003, roborovsky and lushLuck like this.
  5. Midsommar is on Prime (in the UK at least), and it generally has a lot more decent releases than Netflix, so I’d say it’s worth it for that and Scary Stories. I thought Scary Stories was ... fine, but I wouldn’t rush to watch it again.

burzacott and Andrew.L like this.
  6. I watched the new Grudge movie. I want everyone involved with it to be banned from making horror films. It was awful.

suitechicguy, Uno, sesita and 2 others like this.
  7. Watching The Eye on Prime. Just me that thinks critics went too hard on Jessica Alba for being a terrible actor? I’ve always thought she was okay, not groundbreaking by any means, but not awful!

Andrew.L likes this.
  8. Oh yes, that was a stinker. That amazing cast deserved better!

loveontop and Andrew.L like this.
  9. She was an absolute queen as Sue Storm.

[​IMG]

10. So after watching Resurrection today I finally ended my Halloween rewatch (and first time watch for some of them) that I started almost two years ago. I don’t know why it took me so long to make my way through them! But anyway, here it is, what you were all wanting, but afraid to ask for – my thoughts and feeling on the entire Halloween Saga (not including the Zombie films or 2018).

Halloween (1978)
    The original. The classic. Out of all the Halloween films this is the one I remember the most. I still remember being very young and watching it on TV late one night. It wasn’t the film that got me into horror (I don’t think), but it certainly helped. I remember at one grilling my mum about it and her going through some of the Halloween history with me. But despite it being the one I’m more familiar with there were still times where I was reminded just how creepy the film is – when Michael is watching Laurie from behind the bushes, the little boy running into Michael in the street. The film really builds up the tension in such a cool way. And those final scenes are just a fantastic piece of horror storytelling.

Halloween II (1981)
    This was my first time watching the sequel and I have to say I was disappointed. It’s not a bad film in anyway shape or form, but it’s also clearly a very different film. I didn’t feel any of the tension that was present in the original film, and the kills were just too over the top. I don’t necessarily mind the brother-sister twist, but I can definitely see why it was criticised. Although I’m still not sure why it was included if they never really liked it?

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
    I had put off watching this for many, many years, mainly down to the fact that it didn’t have Michael in it. And then once that wore off I just never thought to watch it. But I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. As a Buffy fan all I could think of throughout was the Halloween episode from season 2. It was obviously something different for the series, and I do feel like they could have gone even further with some of their ideas, but overall I thought it was a pretty solid little horror. And seeing how Michael’s story would eventually pan out it’s a shame that the anthology idea didn’t work out.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
    I’ve actually already forgotten what happened in this, which er … I guess isn’t a good sign. So moving on. But from what I’ve heard this one has is quite the fan favourite (so maybe I should have watched it again before doing this haha)

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
    By this point I really feel like the sequels are blending into one. Although I do remember quite liking this one when I was younger. The idea that Jamie is following in the same footsteps as Michael was really an interesting concept to me, so it’s a shame that they didn’t go further with that after this film. I also quite liked the idea of the Man in Black when I was younger. That whole mythology really interested me. But now I see it for the sloppy, poorly thought out mess that it is. The idea of something being a potentially good idea, but poorly thought out seemed to be something that the series greatly suffered from going forward.

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
    Aside from the original, this was the only other film pre-H20 that I really remembered. I think the BBC went through a period of showing it all the time. Again, the whole Curse of Thorn storyline was something that I really enjoyed when I was younger, but now I just wish it – and the film itself – just didn’t exist. But obviously Paul Rudd is looking fine in this (as always), so that’s something to take away from it I guess. Also I swear that this film used to end with Michael in the Myers house crying because he wasn’t able to get the baby. But watching it back that doesn’t seem to be the case, and it’s not in any other film either. So maybe I dreamed it.

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
    H20 is pretty decent as Halloween sequels go. It’s cool to see Laurie back, and it’s nice to see the series’ story streamlined back into something less convoluted. For me the scariest part is the opening, although the bed scene in the school later on definitely gives it a run for its money. I have always loved the ending and really wish that could have stuck because it’s such a great moment for both Laurie and the series.

Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
    What kind of mess! Today was the first time I’ve watched it since it first came out. I won’t lie, I feel because this time I was actually prepared for how bad it was going to be, I didn’t mind it so much. This is definitely a situation – like I mentioned earlier – where the idea was much better than the execution. This really could have been a pretty effective follow-up to H20 (although still not needed), but instead the film is a hot mess. I know it gets discussed a lot, but I really want to know who thought the Busta Rhymes karate scene was a good idea so I can ask them what they were thinking. I’m glad this thread of the series ended here as I really don’t think I could have taken anymore nonsense.

So there we are, my inner thoughts and ramblings about the Halloween series, I hope you enjoyed.

I'm still so excited for Halloween Kills, and supposedly as of today, they're still putting the finishing touches to the trailer, so I hope that means we're getting it soon.

Remorque, sesita, silkandskin and 5 others like this.
  11. The original Japanese version is definitely worth watching.

12. I watched The Visit on Netflix last night. Had never heard of it before, I watched it on FaceTime with a friend and we were cackling throughout.

13. M. Night at his... I actually don't think that was even his worst.

14. The most egregious thing about Halloween Resurrection is that ratty ass wig they put Jamie Lee in.

I do remember searching for the workprint version of it when I was younger though, desperate to see Tyra actually die. It wasn’t worth it.

sesita, Steve003, lushLuck and 2 others like this.
  15. Oh definitely! Laurie didn’t serve lewks for three films to go out like that!

And you know what? It’s never actually occurred to me that they even filmed a death scene for Tyra. I just assumed that us seeing her dead was all they could be bothered to do.

“There’s no death scene because you don’t deserve a death scene.”

16. This is Lauries look I was promised in Halloween: Resurrection:

[​IMG]

That is not what we got! As far as the workprint goes

Jason Voorhees would like his scene back. God is this movie a travesty.

BTG and lushLuck like this.
  17. Finally watched 47 Metres Down : Unhinged. Oh my god. It's was plodding along OK, cliched and predictable but watchable. The Samuel L. Jackson 'Deep Blue Sea' death moment recreated to lesser but still funny effect. The ending though has to be seen to be believed. It was so dumb and ridiculous, I watched open mouthed thinking 'Oh no, they are not gonna go there' and they did, and then they did it again.

The only way to try and top this, with another sequel, is if it's called '47 Metres Up : Sharks on A Plane'

suitechicguy and lushLuck like this.
  18. I honestly enjoy Halloween: Resurrection on its own ...'merits': It's a well made slasher pic with a few good ideas. As a Halloween movie it sucks, but I prefer it over 5, the Zombie remakes, and maybe even II.

tylerc904 likes this.
  19. BTG

BTG

[​IMG]
    I always wondered if the literally glammed JLC up a bit and stuck her beside a window as a deliberate attempt to mislead the audience into thinking she was around longer than she was.

I’m sure her shot on the poster is just a H20 photoshoot outtake.

Steve003, lushLuck and sesita like this.
  20. The trailer was certainly crafted to make it look like she came back at the end to take him out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.