House of the Dragon: General Discussion Thread. | The Popjustice Forum

House of the Dragon: General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Leopold, May 1, 2021.

1. The show is currently being shot, the cast is largely confirmed and production shots are slowly going on line, so I believe it's time for this to have it's own thread.

The story follows "the beginning of the end for House Targaryen", focusing on the Dance of Dragons, when the Targaryen dragon-riders turned on each other and Westeros paid the price.

Matt Smith (Dr Who) is on board as Prince Daemon, the Rogue Prince, uncle of Rhaenyra Targaryen (Emma d'Arcy). In all of House Targaryen's history, Rhaenyra is the one whose story and personality has the most callbacks (or rather, most foreshadows) Danaerys so it's not surprising we're getting a prequel where her story told.

One of their main supporters, the richest man in Westeros (richer than the Lannisters) is Corlys Velaryon, who will be played by Steve Toussaint.
    Toussaint's casting represents a major break with canon, where the Velaryons are one of the only other Westerosi houses who boast pure Valyrian blood and the same looks as the Targaryens.
    Nevertheless, it seems he will still be Valyrian, just a black Valyrian, married (like in the books) to Princess Rhaenys Targaryen (Eve Best), a half-Baratheon cousin of the protagonists who was passed over for the throne.
    The story starts off with Daemon married to their daughter (Laena) and Rhaenyra married to their son (Laenor).

The other side of the conflict is mostly supported by the Hightowers, chief of which is Ser Otto Hightower, Hand of the King, played by Rhys Ifans.

Paddy Cosidine plays the King and Olivia Cooke as Allicent Hightower, his new queen and daughter of Ser Otto.

2. [​IMG]

3. I would have made a WAY better House of the Dragon thread and you KNOW it.
    [​IMG]

I had 28 gifs planned for the opening post as well as an exclusive interview with Emilia Clarke
    [​IMG]

4. We have a date!

Andrew and soratami like this.
  5. Cautiously excited for this

santajaws likes this.
  6. At least Benioff and Weiss aren't involved. I think.

Remorque likes this.
  7. The parentheses, abbreviation, brackets, unspecific date, and then bracket with closed parentheses all in one thread title is going to be my Joker origin story.

8. Exciting...

NB. thread title needs to change - perhaps to something less... 'busy' (and accurate)?

9. I'm starting to get quite excited about this...

[​IMG]

GodsAndMonsters and johnoclock like this.
  10. Ever since the new LOTR trailer I care less about this show more and more.

Andrew likes this.
  11. Trailer...

Epic.

12. Pretty hyped, not gonna lie. It looks really good

13. Oh that trailer is sickening. Made me wanna read the book before the premiere.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  14. The best part of Thrones was always the machinations and political intrigue and not the fantasy trappings for me so color me excited.

ephemeralartery likes this.
  15. Thrones was never my thing, so I’m not the target audience for this show, but it made me smirk how heavily they leaned into the succession drama in the trailer. Perhaps admitting a little bit that this style of show might be past its expiration date, although I don’t doubt it will do well for HBO.

Artemisia likes this.
  16. The succession is drama is literally what Game Of Thrones was about though? Ddd

17. This I know! It just feels very… pointed, in a sort of “We’ve been through this all before, but please come anyway” kind of way.

18. Probably shady of me to say, but when I read the books I always imagined the Targaryens to be more... beautiful, even if in a scary way.

Andrew likes this.
  19. This looks fantastic. Please be more like season 1-6 quality, rather than the drivel that followed.

Andrew likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.