How did you get into Eurovision? | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

How did you get into Eurovision?

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by Charley, Apr 28, 2009.

1. My parents have watched every year since the early 70s so it was always routine in my home. I can specifically pinpoint Latvia at 2000 as to when I became obsessed in my own right.

constantino, Charley and Alenko like this.
  2. since i'm not european it took a lot of time before finally watching eurovision. my first ever contact was with t.a.t.u. in 2003 (but i didn't even know it was an eurovision song, i just had it in my playlists etc). i first watched in 2014 mainly because of 1. conchita 2. i was traveling to europe right at the time so it was kind of a coincidence?

either way, 2014 is still my favorite year ever. i started well.

3. Used to watch the contests through the early 2000s, but 2003 was really the year I was hooked! Had a countdown throughout May, and bought the CD straight after the contest! Good memories.

Charley likes this.
  4. 1993 for me too! I have a vague recollection of watching the 1990 one at my Italian uncles house and i think Italy won? But it was only in 93 - I was around 13 and my best friend at the time was staying over who was also gay (well we were still pretending we were bisexual at that point) and we watched Eurovision for the first time and just fell in love with it. I think I was spurred on to watch it because Sonia was our UK entry that year and I do also remember watching the song for Europe show that year. I had been a big Kylie/Sonia/SAW fan. I even remember thinking wow she’s doing a song with the same title as Kylie!

Anyway we just loved the show and it was particularly exciting because Sonia very nearly won that year so when the results were coming through it was a thrill to be in with a real chance. I have sooooo forgotten that feeling! I remember us cheering every time we got douze points. Alas she came second but we also fell in love with the winning song ‘In Your Eyes’ by Niamh Kavanagh.

I bought the winning song (and Sonia’s of course) and it had the instrumental on it so me and my friend learned it and, rather embarrassingly, sang it in front of our whole school in a ‘music marathon’ day.

Anyway. Every year after that it became tradition for us to watch Eurovision together and I have watched it ever since. My Eurovision partner in crime has changed a couple of times over the years and is now a staple in the calendar for me and my husband since we met in 2003.

Highlights for me include the only win for the UK that I’ve ever experienced in 1997 with Katrina and the Waves, the 2003 show which was chock full of amazing songs, Dana International winning, Gina G, the year with Cascada was also a great show, Dami Im, Conchita, and that mid-contest performance of Love Love Peace Peace a few years ago was just the best!

Eurovision is such a joy!

Last edited: May 16, 2020

5. Any excuse to post this Sonia parody tbh

Adora Day likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.