How to add local files to Spotify? | The Popjustice Forum

How to add local files to Spotify?

Discussion in 'The Internet' started by Shadow2018, Dec 14, 2018.

1. So sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm struggling with this. I've checked the "Show songs from My Library and Downloads" on my Spotify settings but what do I do after that? I've downloaded audio files from YouTube but I'm like, trying to drag them on to my Spotify playlist and nothing is happening. Am I supposed to convert them to another file or am I doing something else wrong?

Kinda frustrating.

2. Try making a brand new folder with some of your music files and add that to your "Show songs from" list on your Settings page. Spotify generally doesn't see the files that are in My Library and Downloads folders, but it does see the songs in the folders that I've made myself and added as a "local file" source. The songs will then show up in my "local files" playlist.

I hope that helps.

3. Hi thanks very much for the reply, that was really helpful and I've now got them on my desktop Spotify.

However no sign of them on my phone app playlist. How weird?

4. There's a "download" button at the top of every playlist that you make. If you hit that button on the Playlist on your desktop app (it should turn green), you'll be able to access the local files in that playlist. You'll need to click the download button in the exact same playlist on your phone too, though. Once you've done that, the playlist on your phone will automatically update whenever you add new local files.

The download button is originally for making songs available offline so you can use Spotify without internet, but it's how I've been able to access my local files on my phone without too much hassle.

5. I'm so sorry for sounding so dumb and thanks again for the reply but I've actually already done this and still having no luck. I even put the song (it's ONE SONG I WANT) into it's very own playlist and clicked "download" and again, it's available to listen to on my laptop but I can't find it anywhere on my phone.

I'm normally alright at working these things out but this is driving me crazy!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.