How wonderful were The Cure? | The Popjustice Forum

How wonderful were The Cure?

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by do1frood, Sep 26, 2008.

1. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Majorly huge in Greece when I was at school. Hate them.

2. Never really got into The Cure (though i said that about Depeche Mode and love them) but i heart Friday I'm In Love.

3. Theyre big in Greece arent they? Vasilios, you cant hate all their stuff. You cant hate "A Forest", you cant hate "Lullaby", you cant hate "WCIBY". You just cant.

4. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

Most of their stuff I can take or leave but In Between Days is most of the most amazing songs ever written.

5. I adore The Cure. Robert Smith is a bit of a prick but an undeniable genius. 'Lullaby', 'Cut Here' and 'Just Like Heaven' are just amazing.

6. If you love Bloc Party and all this current post-punk stuff at the moment I strongly suggest you get the "Boys Dont Cry" album. You'll want to slap Robert a LOT less than one should really stick one on Kele, the po-faced old moaner.

Wow I havent heard this in years. Talk about POP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owT5LDNoStE

ModeRed likes this.
  7. nnnumb

nnnumb Guest

Hmmm, they were a great group for me, but pretty much everything post Disintegration is just a bit dull. That said, when they were good, they were fantastic. Primary, Just Like Heaven, The Walk, Killing An Arab, Hanging Garden... Oh, I could go on.

I'm off to play The Head On The Door now.

8. paul lekakis

paul lekakis Guest

I was scared to death as a child by the "Lullaby" video.

I love "Burn", it's one of their best/most underrated songs.

ModeRed likes this.
  9. Can't believe this is the extent of the PJ love ... Been listening to Mixed Up after about a 10 year (or more) hiatus … Brilliant stuff ...

lob0to, ModeRed and Andrew like this.
  10. They are brilliant. And the cornerstone of my angsty student years in the early 90's (with New Order and Depeche Mode)

Robert Smith's ability to write both huge sprawling epics and wonderful sparkly pop classics has my ongoing admiration

11. Agreed. We need a thread to wallow in their magnificence

Humanracin and Eric Generic like this.
  12. I've been slowly discovering them over the years and I'm constantly surprised by how much I adore their music.

Eric Generic likes this.
  13. For me they peaked around 1985-1987.....the Head On The Door album (with Close to Me and Inbetween Days), then the imperious Standing On A Beach singles collection, followed by the wild and wonderful double album Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me. It felt like Robert Smith's muse was on an unstoppable, giddy roll.

Wishlight and Hairycub1969 like this.
  14. This is in the wrong forum, could the powers that be please move it?

Eric Generic likes this.
  15. It was so exciting to watch her debut it at Coachella.

16. My fave Cure moments:

A Forest
    Charlotte Sometimes
    The Walk
    The Love cats
    The Caterpillar
    Inbetween days
    Close to me
    Why can't I be you?
    Just like heaven
    Lullaby
    Lovesong
    Pictures of you
    Friday I'm in love
    Mint car

17. They're a brilliant band and I've been a fan since as long as I can remember. My favourite tracks are Lament, Lullaby, The Walk, and The Exploding Boy.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  18. Favourite singles:

Primary
    A Forest
    Lovecats
    Charlotte Sometimes
    Inbetween Days
    Just Like Heaven
    Lullaby
    Pictures Of You
    Friday I'm In Love
    Wrong Number
    Just Say Yes

Favourite albums:
    Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
    Head On The Door

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.