I Like a Messy Album! | The Popjustice Forum

I Like a Messy Album!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by bonnieetclyde, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Can we just appreciate album that offer lots of variety?

There’s always talk about albums being cohesive or having a particular ‘sound’ but I have to admit to rather enjoying records that offer up an array of different sounds and styles.

I quite like a dance track then a Spanish track then a ballad then something more dark then a pop banger... I feel like albums aren’t really like this anymore.

Is it just me?

I think of something like J.Lo’s debut which had dance and R&B and Latin and ballads etc.

Name some of your favourite ‘messy’ albums!

2. I think the 2 that come to mind for me are
    Melanie B's Hot
    and Kylie's X albums.

Although I feel like Melanie B's Hot is more "messier".

Still they are both great albums.

bonnieetclyde likes this.
  3. Autoamerican by Blondie, it's such a mish mash of genres and probably why it's my favourite Blondie album

It's got an orchestral opener (Europa), Rap (Rapture), Reggae (The Tide is High), New Wave (Angels on the Balcony, Walk Like Me), Jazz (Faces, Here's Looking at you), Disco (Live it Up, Do the Dark)

Pink Frost, moorje and bonnieetclyde like this.
  4. Melanie C - Northern Star
    Britney Spears - Britney
    Kylie Minogue - X
    Madonna - Rebel Heart
    Anastacia - Not That Kind
    Gwen Stefani - This is What The Truth Feels Like (maybe also The Sweet Escape - an iconic mess)

They all just work due to the artists and have a vision / something to say!

Mvnl and bonnieetclyde like this.
  5. [​IMG]

This has hit US rnb on it, pop, acid house, SAW, rock and a ballad yet works as an album and I’m being serious when I say it’s one of the best pop albums of the 80s.

6. Very true. Great album.

dancevision likes this.
  7. Whilst the punk / rock / guitar driven tracks are what appeal to me the most I love that Blondie love a good dabble.

7 tattoos would agree with me. Eek

8. I said this in another thread very recently but:

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.