I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 113 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Only because I complimented Taylor.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm so predictable.

VivaForever and eccentricsimply like this.
  3. Just a friendly reminder to everyone that

Up All Night
    Stole My Heart
    Heart Attack
    Nobody Compares
    Happily
    Little White Lies
    Girl Almighty
    Change Your Ticket

all missing the top 20 is an unforgivable disgrace!

4. eccentricsimply

And in favor of Perfect nonetheless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deleted member 21339 likes this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I will never forgive you all for pushing Girl Almighty out in the mid thirties. NEVER.

6. Personally I agree with Perfect being in the top 20 and I wouldn't have complained if it went as far as like #12 or something. But there are a lot of 7s and 8s in the top 20 that took the place of 9s and 10s that were eliminated earlier.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. Thank goodness, I was starting to worry that "Perfect" would find its way into the top ten. What a wet song.

8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Thank you to @CorgiCorgiCorgi and @Furball for responding to my requests for more commentary. Hope to see some more from other users.

I'm focusing on scoring for the Boybands rate at the moment, so the next elimination won't be for awhile still. Plenty of time to write about songs you forgot or to write anything. Isn't it more fun when I can judge your comments in the actual writeup?

Furball and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Hey!

You!

Yes!

You!​

[​IMG]

#16. Steal My Girl [7.842]

High Score:
    10 x 5 (@A$AP Robbie, @constantino, @Fever, @sexercise, @Txetxu)
    Low Score: 4 x 1 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi)

My Score: 8

THANK GOODNESS!!!!!! I know, I know, I know for sure, this should've left ten eliminations ago. You all know I'm the greatest Four stan on this forum, but Steal My Girl eclipsed so many gems in their discography and I cannot keep silent any longer! Is this a bad song? I wouldn't say so. Is this a good song? Sure. Is this a great song? UM. I know why it was released as the lead single from Four, but I'll always resent it for getting pushed to the public over so many more legitimately amazing tracks. With that stupid as fuck problematic video no less!!!! Who thought the Niall and Zayn scenes were a good idea? I hope they were fired by MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Despite all my complaining, Steal My Girl performed decently on the charts, peaking at #3 in the UK and #13 in the US. S I G H. The world is a disappointing place.

Steal My Girl was brought to us by the crack team of Wayne Hector, the Js, Lilo, and Ed Drewitt. That pretty much explains the juvenile lyrics, doesn't it? Someone help me unglue my eyeballs from the ceiling here. If you're worried about people "stealing your girl" you have bigger problems in life than her eventually leaving your lowkey sexist ass. As per usual, One Direction always puts their most iffy lyrics in their boppiest moments, leaving you to slowly compromise your morals and values until you spontaneously explode in a fit of rage and regret. Oh...... just me, then? Good thing I can soothe myself with some beautiful piano, borrowed directly from Journey's Faithfully, and a wonderful soaring chorus. Too bad about those verses. The best aspect of Steal My Girl is the vocals. There's a lovely soft quality to both Liam and Zayn's verses that I don't hear often on the other tracks. I adore Harry on the bridge so much because he's unusually understated. A lot of people were convinced that Zayn sung the bridge until the first live performance came out (I'm sure somewhere @eccentricsimply is dying at this information). Going back to Zayn, his adlibs near the end are beautiful as always. Niall and Louis are not as Niall and Louis on this, which is always appreciated. Unfortunately, there's ultimately something hollow about Steal My Girl which prevents me from embracing it wholeheartedly. My appreciation is as shallow as the relationship on display.

Somehow you all decided this should just miss out on the Top 15. Time to expose some people.

@CorgiCorgiCorgi (4)- "The production on this is really weird, but Danny Devito was in the video." I bet Danny regrets that.

@eccentricsimply (5)- "It's bad as a single, it's bad as a song. Nothing about it is interesting." hyporcritesimply strikes again with this above zero score!

@Furball (6)- "It's a decent bridge between Midtrite Memories and Four." Grumble grumble, never should've been the lead single, grumble grumble.

@Macsun (6.5) continues his string of good opinions- "One of the weakest tracks on the glorious Four. It doesn't go anywhere."

@tylerc904 (7) gets me- "Never loved this, but it's nice enough."

@iheartpoptarts (7)- "Solid, but compared to the lead singles before it, it’s nowhere near big enough!" It's definitely the most.... laid back lead single.

Your patronizing attitude toward teenage girls needed to end yesterday, @DJHazey (7)- "This was the first song I think I ever heard from them and unfortunately it wasn’t the best experience for me. I’m not as bored by it as I was then, but I’ve definitely heard much better by doing this rate. Kii at the thought of Directioners thinking they could be substituted for the girl in question....that’s cute."

@Up Down Suite (8)-"Probably their best lead single? The video is horrendous, but it has a nice vibe. I like the middle 8 as well." Every lead single was better than this one, are you kidding me?

@Lost In Japan. (8)- "This is one of their weaker lead singles, the verses are so clunky. Harry sounds so good but I hated his look in the video." Not sure why he was wearing a winter coat in the desert!

@SophiaSophia (8) clocks those verses- "It's their attempt at anthemic stadium rock but those verses are terrible thankfully the chorus does the job."

Why are you going after the one who had the same girlfriend for 3+ years, @VivaForever (8)?- "This baroque production is ... strange ... but nonetheless, a bop. The irony in these lyrics though considering how many girls some of them have gone through... *coughs, looks pointedly at Louis*" Also... BAROQUE????????

@Posh Spears (8)- "This is surprisingly really enjoyable! I feel like I didn't like it when it came out but damn, it's so fucking cute and fun actually." THIS IS HOW THEY GET YOU!!!!

@KAG (8.5)- "The production was dated on arrival and there's too many 'na na nas' but the chorus is insanely catchy. My favourite bit of the song is the bridge. I love Harry's gravelly vocals, the drums kicking in and then Zayn's falsetto." YAS KINGS.

@Sprockrooster (9)- "That video is atrocious." Hey remember when you clocked another song for sounding like a zillion you heard before? I SEE YOU.

@First2Run (9)- "What a perfect song to open up FOUR and prepare the listener for the excellent change in sound brought with the album." Ready to Run is the superior opener, we already established this.

Guuuuuuuuuuuuurllllllll..... @wackseed (9.5)- "This is such a damn jam, god bless. Another song about how awesome a girl is and a killer beginning to this album! Good job, kids. You lose half a point for the weird possessive language though. "

Before we get to our maddening 10 scorers, special what the fuck shout out to the following voters: @Remorque (9), @MollieSwift21 (9.3), @Subwaykid (9), and @Xanthippe (9). Any score over 8 is far too generous.

@sexercise (10)- "2nd best lead single. That video was…yikes though. This whole album campaign was a bit…off looking back." The whole Four campaign gives me a headache.

@A$AP Robbie (10)- "Her mum calls me love/her dad calls me son" is my favourite 1D lyric of all time." Too bad it can't cancel out the other ones!

@constantino (10)- "BOP! I remember hearing this for the first time when they performed it on The X Factor and actually humming along to the final chorus, LOUDLY. This is so anthemic, catchy and fun. This feels like a natural progression from their earlier work, which makes it a triumph in my eyes." Remember when I had to convince you to even do this rate though?

I'm posting the video out of obligation, but please go watch the performance from their Four livestream instead. It's much better.

Tomorrow? Bye bye to another 11!​

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  10. eccentricsimply

I'm 100% convinced I'm losing a 10 next.

11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I just realized TWO people gave the next elimination their 11. Uh oh.

12. eccentricsimply

[​IMG]

ohnostalgia likes this.
  13. I stand by my 8. Very good song but not a great one.

I mentioned Louis because he had another girlfriend at the same time a girl was pregnant with his child if I understand correctly? And if we're going to call Florence baroque then yes I'm standing by applying it here! It's not quite the perfect word but pretty close.

14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Lord knows I dislike Louis, but so what? He's looking after his child and Brianna. You sound like a larrie.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  15. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

If it it helps my points taken off were for the lyrics. Steal My Girl is a jam though. They all sound so good. Louis voice is fine when it's back by someone else like it is here. Poor Niall keep being compared to him. I love Liam's voice on his verse. Harry sounds great on bridge too.

I'm actually surprised it got this far. I always thought it was a song people were more meh to. Same with Drag Me Down actually. Plus Story of My Life being a fan favorite too so I guess I don't know the fanbase that well!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I don't think Niall is as bad as Louis, it's just a time saver when I don't have much to say about either of them! Most fans I knew at the time were quite meh on Steal My Girl, so this surprised me. I'm not surprised by Drag Me Down though, almost everyone loved that when it was released.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  17. I feel like it's They Don't Know About Us. And I'm mad that it's probably not Where Do Broken Hearts Go.

18. eccentricsimply

@ohnostalgia this is completely not related to anything but I thought it would amuse you as much as it amused me
    [​IMG]

ohnostalgia likes this.
  19. I do like Steal My Girl, but why it was ever chosen as a single is beyond me.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.